PDA

View Full Version : MWNY: New Enclosures, PC iPod

arn
Jun 29, 2002, 10:43 AM
A previously accurate tipster provides some minor tidbits about upcoming products.

The rumored PC iPod will not be available until later this year (Aug/Sept) rather than MacWorld NY... however may finally include a remote.

MacWorld New York should sport new PowerMac's with slightly redesigned enclosures due to motherboard redesigns. Details limited but the speaker is now white.

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 10:48 AM
Motherboard redesigns? Now which tipster that wrote of motherboard redesigns was right? It would provide endless amusement if you created names for the tipsters. But it may jeopardize the real Tipsters.

Ensign Paris
Jun 29, 2002, 10:59 AM
I bet the machine is the same colour as the iBook / eMac / iMac

What is that design scheme called? It would make sense for them to call it SnowWhite but that was used before ;)

Ensign

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 11:02 AM
They should name the pc Ipod "Gergor Samsa"

Added: Change that to "Gregor Samsa"

Megaquad
Jun 29, 2002, 11:40 AM
powermac wont be white like ibooks etc. cause its pro machine..
what about updated iMacs?? when will I see my iMacs? what are they thinking?

firewire2001
Jun 29, 2002, 11:43 AM
They should name the pc Ipod "Gregor Samsa"

hUh? i kinda missed that.. what do you mean?

teabgs
Jun 29, 2002, 11:54 AM
Oh thank god....a nice juicy rumor to satisfy the pallatte.

White speaker, eh? Sounds interesting. Im interested to see what kind of design the come out with now...I doubt the handles will still be there...

But the redesigned motherboard....I want more info. Guess we'll have to wait a bit...but I guess it'll be very similar to the Xserve

Sayer
Jun 29, 2002, 12:01 PM
The front and back panels of the Quicksilver case can be easily replaced to accomodate different "guts". This was done with the original G4 to Quicksilver changes on both ends.

Its a good case design, but it could be much better. The "G5" will probably be a case redesign and new(er) CPU to signify the substantial upgrade across the board.

By G5 i mean successor to the G4 which replaced G3 not any particular PowerPC CPU/mobo combo. Right now I guess we are at G4.5 and will soon be G4.75 (DDR RAM mobo like the Xserve and maybe a slightly newer G4 CPU).

Certainly wish I had a new better paying job right now, I'd like to upgrade to whatever comes next month no matter WHAT it end up being (it should be pretty good coming from a G4/450).

G4scott
Jun 29, 2002, 12:06 PM
I predict a futuristic white/silver looking scheme like the eMac.

The case redesign for a new motherboard seems interesting. Maybe its for the motherboard that we saw on eBay a while back. That motherboard was different than the current motherboards, and didn't look like it would fit in the quicksilver case. Maybe they changed the case to allow 2 optical drive bays. That would be cool.

My predictions for MWNY:
1.4 Ghz G4 (i'm not sure about the actual chip model, like the 7460 or whatever else is current)

Firewire 2 (the mysterious port on the eBay motherboard)

DDR memory (up to 2 GB)

I'm mainly saying this because if they are saying that there is going to be a new case, then the eBay motherboard might be the one for the new case, since it is different than what we have now.

Meek
Jun 29, 2002, 12:58 PM
How come nobody has said they think the stylings of the PowerMac released at Macworld will look like Xserve?

That's my guess.

If -- that's IF -- Apple changes the tower case, I expect it to be in the style of the Xserve.

Rugged, industrial metal-looking. Metal power button.

I just hope it's as eye-catching as the current tower design.

Not too staid and boring....

However I do NOT expect any new Macs to sport USB 2 anytime soon.

Think about it.

It just isn't in Apple's interest because of their FireWire push.

Even if Apple includes 800MBps GigaWire, they won't include USB 2.

FireWire is currently slugging it out with USB 2 for dominance and there is no clear winner yet.

This is no time for Apple to give USB 2 a big endorsement.

Expect no USB 2 at Macworld.

iwantanewmac
Jun 29, 2002, 01:35 PM
I doubt the handles will still be there...

I think it still will have handles.
whi?
because it's easier to carry it around.
almost no other comp has handles.
I use them so........ :)

iwantanewmac
Jun 29, 2002, 01:35 PM
I doubt the handles will still be there...

I think it still will have handles.
why?
because it's easier to carry it around.
almost no other comp has handles.
I use them so........ :)

puffypoopy
Jun 29, 2002, 01:55 PM
Why does it always have to be WHITE? :confused:

Is Apple RACIST? :mad:

Ramble
Jun 29, 2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by firewire2001

stupid play metamorphisis where the main charachter turns into a cockroach. doesn't make much sense.

Oh, and white speaker? give me a break. I want to know if they finnaly put DDR and what kind of clock/bus speed increases we might see.

amnesiac1984
Jun 29, 2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by puffypoopy

because DELL'S are BLACK

nothing to do with race.

i think its something to do with good versus evil as well.

Cappy
Jun 29, 2002, 02:28 PM
On the pc ipod story I'm guessing, if true, that they're merely packaging together something for the xmas season based off of a newer model. I truely wish it had a mic for recording. That would be great to use when sitting through 7 hour training courses.

Cappy
Jun 29, 2002, 02:30 PM

It's all about image, fashion, and marketing. Lets not be stoking any fires here on your first post.

puffypoopy
Jun 29, 2002, 02:48 PM
Whatever happened to the diversity of Apple's product offering?

I can remember buying my first iMac and the salesperson said "What flavor would you like?"
^--->I would like to see this return in some form. Yum

gopher
Jun 29, 2002, 02:55 PM

If Apple were racist, would they have made this commercial?

http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/imac_window.html

No, I didn't think so.

Let's put it this way, it is easier to paint black on white than white on black. Have you ever noticed that? If you want it black, get a can of paint and paint it. Just be sure not to fill the ventilation holes.

Now if your statement is that Apple is too class orientated, Apple does have 3 months same as cash, 2, 3, and 5 year loans. Now really, let's get a grip on reality. Not everything is white because of the choice of race. I am a Mac user, and choose to be color blind, though recognize racism exists. But this is not one of those cases. If Steve Jobs was really racist, he wouldn't be wearing a black turtleneck, and wouldn't approve for the store entrance designs to be black columns with a white Apple logo divided by window. I am sorry if you feel offended, but it was not Apple's intent.

mymemory
Jun 29, 2002, 03:33 PM
Along this year I have seen more G4 400 like enclosures more than the actual silver enclosure design and the old G3 enclosure. Of course everything have to deal with the inflation at the time, etc... but, usually when a new desing comes up makes the old one looks bad except between the 2 last enclosures.

Personally, I like the old G4 400 thna the quicksilver. The quicksilver is a bit "flat" for me. THe G4 400 looks nicer every where without look like a "beach case for the six packs" like the G3 did.

Lets see what Apple is gonna give us this time, for sure they are gonna drop something out 3 days before the convention:)

lem0nayde
Jun 29, 2002, 04:12 PM
I agree with the person above that asked why noone is mentioning a metallic case for the new G4 enclosure. It seems likely, since Apple's current motif seems to be white = consumer / metal = pro. Think of the eMac, iMac, iBook, iPod vs. the tiBook, Xserve.

I would love to see a sharp looking metallic encasing - perhaps with a sleek, body that takes up only as much room as it NEEDS to. Maybe it will also take advantage of the sliding drawer mechanisms of the Xserve. I'm sure whatever it is, Apple will have thought of something that we didn't know we needed, but can't live without thereafter.

Joe

firewire2001
Jun 29, 2002, 04:15 PM
hey arn,

what did this tipster tell about in the past? was it something big?

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by firewire2001

From Kafka's Metamorphosis. Hes turned into a monstrous vermin, in the end hes killed by his father who wields apples....

Ironically the father just reclined in his chair while Gregor worked, and only after he became a monstrous vermin did the father work. So it parallels the whole Mac Vs Windows conflict.

drastik
Jun 29, 2002, 05:40 PM
yes, yes, literacy:D

I see a silver case two, probably less curvy for the proline, and maybe better expansion offerings. Maybe tey'll go the fll ride and let evryone buy the pieces from Apple and build themselves, I wouldn't mind about twenty slots:D

macphisto
Jun 29, 2002, 06:06 PM
It is quite feasible and rather reasonable :) to see many of the fun new traits from the Xserve being passed down the line to the pro-series. DDR based chipset/motherboard, hotswappable drives, and perhaps the debut of "gigawire," allowing clustering or networking of the pro-series (I doubt a dual gigabit ethernet capability, but who knows.)

Marvenp
Jun 29, 2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984

because DELL'S are BLACK

nothing to do with race.

So are you saying that "WHITE" is good and "BLACK" is evil? Apple may not be racist, but this statement certainly is.

Ouroboros
Jun 29, 2002, 09:42 PM
So your saying that anything related to the color black has to do with the black race? Isn't that exaggerated self-reference?

G4scott
Jun 29, 2002, 10:35 PM
Whatever happened to the diversity of Apple's product offering?

I can remember buying my first iMac and the salesperson said "What flavor would you like?"
^--->I would like to see this return in some form. Yum

This was kind of a bad move for Apple. While it was nice to choose a color, resellers would quickly sell out of one color, and stockpile another. They got a little better by changing the color with the specs of the machine (Indigo, sage, ruby, snow, etc...)

I would expect for the new G4 enclosure to be either like the eMac with smaller curves, or like the xServe, and take up only as much space as needed. I don't think that hot-swapable drives will make it into the desktop, but hopefully we will get two optical drive bays. Maybe if they made the handles retractable, like the hard drives on the xServe. Just push a panel, and it pops out into a heavy-duty handle. That would be cool, but it might take up too much space...

Maybe Apple will have the motherboard on a drawer that slides out. That would be cool. I still would like to know how you can pull open the xServe and still have the ports connected on back, with the thing still running. Is the board with the ports separate?

I just hope that the new design isn't bloated...

Marvenp
Jun 29, 2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
So your saying that anything related to the color black has to do with the black race? Isn't that exaggerated self-reference?

Not in the least. It is common knowledge that African Americans refer to themselves as being black while Caucasian Americans refer to themselves as white. Neither depicts the true pigmentation color of their skin.

It is also common knowledge that anything that is black is referred to as being evil, dark, mysterious, demonic, unclean, yada,yada,yada. While anything white is referred to as being pure, beautiful, innocent, sanitary and so on.

I don't think of Apple as a racist company and even if they were, I would probably still buy their products because they are superior to anyone else's but that kind racial tags attached to color bothers me.

If I were to say white was very evil, deceitful, misrepresenting and without substinence would you take offense to it? Would you think I was just referring to the color alone or would you assume that I was also including the people who call themselves white even though we are actually closer to being pink?

To flat out say white is good and black is evil has very strong racial under tones no matter how you try to sugar coat it.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 29, 2002, 10:59 PM
perhaps the pc ipod will be beige.

Sun Baked
Jun 29, 2002, 11:41 PM
Strange I thought everybody in the world had flesh colored skin...

billiam0878
Jun 29, 2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Strange I thought everybody in the world had flesh colored skin...

Same here.

Bill

firewire2001
Jun 29, 2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

hrmm.. i highly doubt it.. is this a joke? (sorry if it wasnt :o )

i think that a most pc users that actually appreciate mac stuff, if for any reason at all, i think they like apple's products designs.. i think that a beige iPod would be pretty ugly, and would sell... i think they might just release software for the iPod and maybe even bundle Firewire cards, but i highly doubt that..

sluthy
Jun 30, 2002, 12:02 AM

Great idea :D Give the suckers what they deserve.

But anyway, I don't think much of the idea of a PC iPod. Now that we have XPlay, there's not much need. Apple should just sell their current iPod and distribute XPlay with it. If they released a PC iPod right now, Mediafour would be p*ssed. All that hard work...

Case design for G4? I like the idea of the brushed metal - minimalist is best.

PLEASE STEVE, NO SNOW :eek: !

puffypoopy
Jun 30, 2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Marvenp

It is also common knowledge that anything that is black is referred to as being evil, dark, mysterious, demonic, unclean, yada,yada,yada. While anything white is referred to as being pure, beautiful, innocent, sanitary and so on.

Actually, even though black does have a bias for negative thoughts/comments, it is a prestigious color. Just think of what color we have on when we need to wear a tux to an important evening event, a wedding, etc.? How about the judges clothing... what color is that? Black !

When everyone wants to look their best... what color clothing do they wear... black! Black is prestigious and carries a sign of dignity to it. Black is beautiful.

Unfortunately, as you said, most people's cognitive shortcuts take them to think of black and ugly/demonic at the same time. Is this the product of society's teachings? Hmmm... I wonder?

Ouroboros
Jun 30, 2002, 12:34 AM

Not in the least. It is common knowledge that African Americans refer to themselves as being black while Caucasian Americans refer to themselves as white. Neither depicts the true pigmentation color of their skin.

I don't think of Apple as a racist company and even if they were, I would probably still buy their products because they are superior to anyone else's but that kind racial tags attached to color bothers me.

If I were to say white was very evil, deceitful, misrepresenting and without substinence would you take offense to it? Would you think I was just referring to the color alone or would you assume that I was also including the people who call themselves white even though we are actually closer to being pink?

To flat out say white is good and black is evil has very strong racial under tones no matter how you try to sugar coat it.

There wasn't any sugar coating. I just read your interpretation as being overly simplistic.

redAPPLE
Jun 30, 2002, 02:35 AM

Yo Puffypoopy.

I'd rather not go there, if i were you...

:eek:

I would guess, it is just a marketing thing. It saves apple money. They would just buy 1 type of plastic from maybe one company.

If they buy a larger amount of plastic, they would probably get a discount.

I hope in future products (or G4 iMac revisions), apple would again offer other color schemes.

I love the fact, that i could get different iMac color schemes.

It made me feel really "different". Better than the evil beige boxes, some people call peecees.

my $ 0.02.

redAPPLE
Jun 30, 2002, 02:44 AM

:D

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

The peecee buyers would surely feel "at home" and comfortable.

shakespeare
Jun 30, 2002, 07:25 AM
I have to say, I really like the current PowerMac design. The newest revision of it, especially when you see it in person, is dead gorgeous. It just makes you want to stare at it. The new one better the hell be as good, that's all I can say.

I like grey better than I like white. The new thing better not be white. Please, let it not be white. Or boxy and metallic.

Please, Apple, make it beautiful.

NEOFEX
Jun 30, 2002, 08:42 AM
How bout a silver case like Xserve with the easy glow blue and green lights to tell about power and such. Plus, 120 gig drives finally availabe to us poor do it your self without a crew of 50 movie makers. It would be outstanding to finnally have more than 2 ata drives because guess what people, APPLE doesn't want to push scsi any more. I know this comes as a shock to most (just kidding). it would be the killing blow to hollywood if this thing came with support for 4 ata drive bays, that are (you guessed it) hot swappable like the xserve. Hell, why not make it the same as the xserve drive bays. If they do, more people will just buy the apple drive and enclosures at time of purchase, instead of trying to deal with waiting for 3rd parties to build a hot swap drive box.

As for the handles, what would you do? The handles are convient as hell, but get in the way. What to do? Think of the bottom of the cube. They have that whole snap, click, handle ya do all figured out. Why not make retractable silver handles that go down and up 2 at a time (to prevent snagging) and rely on something to slowly pull them back into the case so a customer won't leave them out and break them off?

Just a humble apple fans hopes and dreams,

btw, anyone know if the xserve has the hypertransport motherboard design?

Pants
Jun 30, 2002, 09:56 AM
technically speaking, black is not a colour.

however, can we please avoid ths p.c. argument stuff here? I took it as a throw away comment - in all senses of the phrase. This is really not the place to discuss race issues...

on another note - I dislike with a passion the current crop of 'pro' cases. The handles are gash, and the boxes are uncomfortably large and plain. Yes they are better than a lot of pc boxes, however, I dont pay a premium for their design. Personally, Id like to see some of the design effort that went into the iMac and TiBook go into the pro line, rather than a tired re-hash of the blue g3 case. I'd like to see something more 'industrial' - be it in use of materials, or design - to go with the more 'pro' line.

JINX
Jun 30, 2002, 11:01 AM
Actually, the association to black (not so much white) goes back all the way to ancient sumeria and egypt (at least) and is probably built in evolutionarily. The origin probably has to do with everything becoming darker and closer to black as the sun goes down and nighttime being associated with greater danger than the light. The sumerians and egyptians themselves were darkskinned so it wasn't a reference to that at all. Given the span of human history, it has only been a short time that any people have called themselves "black", but nighttime and not being able to see well has always been dangerous. This is not to say that European folks didn't use this association when they rediscovered darkskinned countries after the middle ages. They did. But regardless, it appears to be built in our brains long before there was of the awful racism we have in the US.

Actually, even though black does have a bias for negative thoughts/comments, it is a prestigious color. Just think of what color we have on when we need to wear a tux to an important evening event, a wedding, etc.? How about the judges clothing... what color is that? Black !

When everyone wants to look their best... what color clothing do they wear... black! Black is prestigious and carries a sign of dignity to it. Black is beautiful.

Unfortunately, as you said, most people's cognitive shortcuts take them to think of black and ugly/demonic at the same time. Is this the product of society's teachings? Hmmm... I wonder?

Inhale420
Jun 30, 2002, 04:15 PM
why don't you get guys get back on target..

like the fact that the new enclosure colors will have to match the new 23" cinema display and current quicksilver design.

theranch
Jun 30, 2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Inhale420
why don't you get guys get back on target..

like the fact that the new enclosure colors will have to match the new 23" cinema display and current quicksilver design.
Keep the posts on the subject and relax...
I agree... the cinema is sooo sweet looking, make an enclosure that matches the look. Whatever comes out I'm sure that we'll be drooling.

Dunepilot
Jun 30, 2002, 05:34 PM
Some of the previous posters have made some good responses to Marvenp's post (below) but I felt the need to point out that the black/white analogy has NOTHING to do with skin colour. If you look in the Bible, the most important literary source for Western civilisation, black and white are featured. The bible was written by predominantly middle-eastern men, who are neither of the above, neither black nor white (as expressed racially).

Moreover, if you look at medieval texts from, for instance, England using the black/white terminology, they had at that time no idea that African Americans even existed!

A black poet (whose name I forget wrote a very emotive piece on being BLACK-balled, on BLACK holes etc.) but this point doesn't stand up to the spotlight of precise analysis, I'm afraid

To flat out say white is good and black is evil has very strong racial under tones no matter how you try to sugar coat it. [B]

maluscanis
Jun 30, 2002, 08:42 PM
I believe that there is spiritual significance to the idea that black is evil and white is good - but it has nothing do to with skin color. I think black is synonomous with night, the idea being that evil behaviour feels safer at night under the cover of darkness, whereas the daylight has the ability to expose bad behaviour. This is why most crimes are probably commited at night. Anyway, if I could be any animal in the world I would be a bunny rabbit.

Cappy
Jun 30, 2002, 09:32 PM
Can we just let this rest? Some guy comes in and on his first post stirs this up and everyone goes nuts. Frankly I think the mods should can him but that's their decision.

agoldweber
Jun 30, 2002, 11:14 PM
yes, that subject line is a joke...

but seriously, is there any chance they <i>won't</i> move to DDR on the new G4 Rev?

my fear is that this means the dread 'motherboard redesign' might truly spell the end for OS 9 as earlier rumors have suggested.

is getting DDR and a speed bump worth the loss of the Classic?

I can't decide------

nero007
Jun 30, 2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by agoldweber
yes, that subject line is a joke...

but seriously, is there any chance they <i>won't</i> move to DDR on the new G4 Rev?

my fear is that this means the dread 'motherboard redesign' might truly spell the end for OS 9 as earlier rumors have suggested.

is getting DDR and a speed bump worth the loss of the Classic?

I can't decide------

Classic mode won't be killed. Just booting from OS 9. If the rumor is true.

Mike Gagne
Jun 30, 2002, 11:43 PM
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why does it always have to be WHITE?

Is Apple RACIST?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

because DELL'S are BLACK

nothing to do with race.

dont forget the bad guys and the good guys/black hats and white hats.....and whom rescued whom.......

dobbin
Jul 1, 2002, 04:15 AM
I still think that the cube was easily the best looking Mac ever.

I know it failed to sell in large numbers but this was down to the price, specs, lack of upgrade routes etc etc.

On pure asthetics, the cube was the best ever, and I really think it will make some sort of reappearance, possibly by influencing the design of a new pro line?

Steve Jobs made it clear that the cube was his favourite and when announcing its discontinuation he did say we may see it again some day.

I hope so!

agoldweber
Jul 1, 2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by nero007

Classic mode won't be killed. Just booting from OS 9. If the rumor is true.

this I realize--I was the term 'Classic' referring to everything pre-OS X.

the Classic Mode is a different Kettle of Wax or Ball of Fish, or whatever, and is NOT a subsitute for a native OS 9 boot.

so to this end, it would be a shame and a mistake if the new boxes weren't BOOTABLE in OS 9.

sehix
Jul 1, 2002, 01:59 PM
"To flat out say white is good and black is evil has very strong racial under tones no matter how you try to sugar coat it."

Only if you're entirely ignorant of most of recorded history.

Light and dark have been used by most cultures to represent good and evil, truth and falsity, and just about any other positive/negative duality you want to express.

And that includes dark-skinned, as well as light-skinned cultures, many of whom had little or no contact with the other during much of their history, the symbology arising before contact.

Give it a rest.

sehix
Jul 1, 2002, 02:03 PM

Well, *that* certainly explains why, for example, white is the usual color of mourning in many asian cultures.

The more you learn about the world, the less you'll see that your argument has much utility.

SPG
Jul 1, 2002, 07:23 PM
I saw a shiny new metallic silver BMW convertible yesterday, and had to back up and take another look. The curves were complimented by the color and it was truly a thing of beauty. Down the street from my office there are these big scrap metal bins also with a similar finish, yet ugly and even an eyesore. My point is that the material is not the paramount concern, but how it's designed and finished. A metalic finish on a new tower case may be a thing of beauty or an eyesore, only time will tell (if in fact Apple chooses to make them with that finish).

BTW I totally forgot that Gregor Samsa was finally killed by Apples in Kafka's The Metamorphosis, but what does that have to do with PC iPods?

G4scott
Jul 2, 2002, 01:28 AM
I don't think that OS 9 will die just yet. I think Apple will give it a year or so, this way, developers will have had enough time to port their apps to OS X, or the users will have time to find an alternative app.

mcrain
Jul 2, 2002, 11:23 AM
Couple of things:

The PC iPod should be shaped like an Apple, regardless of color (imagine a horde of PC users walking around with iPods shaped like apples on their belts).

If they don't do that, rather than a very minimalist white case, it needs to have Apple on it in huge neon letters, maybe blinking lights, so that everyone knows where it comes from.

Ok, finally, remote control? Do you think that would be a bluetooth remote? If so, what's the range? Can that be used on an airplane? I know they don't allow anything that transmits or receives to be used...

hackamacj
Jul 3, 2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by lem0nayde
I agree with the person above that asked why noone is mentioning a metallic case for the new G4 enclosure. It seems likely, since Apple's current motif seems to be white = consumer / metal = pro. Think of the eMac, iMac, iBook, iPod vs. the tiBook, Xserve.

I would love to see a sharp looking metallic encasing - perhaps with a sleek, body that takes up only as much room as it NEEDS to. Maybe it will also take advantage of the sliding drawer mechanisms of the Xserve. I'm sure whatever it is, Apple will have thought of something that we didn't know we needed, but can't live without thereafter.

Joe

I wouldn't put the iPod in the consumer category, based on your criteria, I mean, jeez, it has white & metal, meaning Pro & Consumer, Right?