Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chubby Cox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
i noticed something today while walking to class and listening to my ipod, which i was carrying in the front pouch-pocket of my hooded sweathshirt- as i walked, there were short bursts of static in time with my movements. i checked and there's nothing wrong with the earbuds or the cable, and i haven't had this happen with any other brands of headphones. i guess the cable for the apple earbuds is shielded in such a way that the static electricity from my sweatshirt interferes with the audio signal- has anyone else had anything like this happen?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
also

P.S. I have a 40GB regular iPod model. This isn't the iPod mini static issue that has been coming up recently. I think it might be the stock white headphones that Apple ships. You might want to try wearing a different set of headphones and see if it helps. My problem stopped when I stopped wearing such static-generating clothes while I was listening to my music.

Maybe next time you wash that sweatshirt, you should throw one of those anti-static sheets in the dryer. Might help!

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
i had this problem, and apple even took it in to look at it in case there was something seriously wrong with the wires or something. i felt like it was shocking me in the ears - i was getting chills. but no. I ended up buying a little crumpler pouch for it, and now i don't get that problem at all.

Chubby Cox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
i have a 20 gig 3G ipod. i guess it's pretty obvious then that there's something wrong with the shielding of the wire to the earbuds- also, when i use the belt clip/case and am wearing the ipod on the outside, i don't have the problem

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
don't use the ipod headphones they may look cool but it's like having a huge sign on you saying please mug me i have a $500 mp3 player on me

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Hector said:
don't use the ipod headphones they may look cool but it's like having a huge sign on you saying please mug me i have a $500 mp3 player on me

They'd have to pry it from my dead hand!!

Which I guess they just might...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.