Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2005
How do you get the damn page-guide to work in XCode 3.1.2? I've set the text-editing preferences to use it, and to position it at column 80, however it doesn't appear in any of my files.

I'm trying to keep my code-width consistent for people I'm sharing the code with (as they may be using different monitor sizes etc.) but it's a bit tricky to have to judge width by looking at the little column counter in the file-name at the top.

So, is there some additional trickery I must perform, or another feature that may be preventing the page-guide from displaying? I haven't been able to find any project-specific settings that could be overriding it or anything.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
I've found 3.1.2 to be quite buggy in places, but nevertheless just enabling the option as you'd expect seems to work for me. Relevant options are as in the attached image.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 81

haravikk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Damn, it is appearing! But it's so light I can't see it except when hovering over the window in Exposé, is there any way to customise the colour? It's indistinguishable from the text-editor background as it is.

It may be due to the resolution I'm using not being the native resolution for my screen, as I'm using a 1366 x 768 HDTV, which my graphics card should be able to do but the option doesn't appear in OS X which is annoying, so I'm on 1280 x 720, though I would have thought that would simply stretch the line's width slightly, not make it disappear =S

[edit]
Nevermind, by editing the background-colour to 95% grey (not quite white) the line appears fine, very odd behaviour though that it won't appear with the lighter background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.