PDA

View Full Version : Can iPod Stay on Top???

Grimace
May 6, 2004, 12:27 AM
Interesting Article....we'll see.....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/05/05/apple.ipod.reut/index.html

Koodauw
May 6, 2004, 12:46 AM
"How many people need $400 music players?" Baker said, predicting that Apple will need to look at iPod's cost relative to competitors before much longer. Since Apple can still sell just about every iPod it makes, it would be "ridiculous to cut prices now," he said.

"But I would argue that in the next 12 months, with increased competition, that would change," Bajarin said.

Interesting article. Although alot of fluff in my opinion. Yes Apple has to be worried, but really how much. The regular iPod has been out for a while now, and no one has even come close to matching it. The iPod Mini is entirely in a league of its own. The compition has had plenty of time to comes up with an answer to the iPod, and has not yet, not saying that they can't/won't though. I think it will be tough to topple the iPod/iTunes empire.

Also lets look at the other markets Microsoft has tried to Jump into.
xBox: has it taken away a significant part of the console Market?
Media Center PC's: Taken away anything from PVR's?
MSN internet/Messenger: Taken any market share away from AOL?
( I don't if these have been "succesfull" or not, but it doesn't seem to have affected the compitions share of the market noticably IMO)

I mean just cause M$ has the dollars, it doesn't mean success.

cyks
May 6, 2004, 01:38 AM
xBox: has it taken away a significant part of the console Market?
I mean just cause M$ has the dollars, it doesn't mean success.

Actually, they have made a huge impact in the console market... and Nintendo is feeling it in every market other then Asia (gee, wonder why ;) )
Success, no- but then they didn't really count on success...they intended to throw away and lose a billion dollars....and in that way- I suppose they are doing what they intended.

MS makes an obsene amount of money each year- and because of that, can afford to blow it in other markets (not to mention, they can write it as a loss and come out even for tax reasons anyway). When you can afford to waste more money then your competitor brings in total... I suppose you're bound to make an impact.

virividox
May 6, 2004, 04:34 AM
i think as long as apple keeps innovating and adding features that make it a better player; not necesarily photo or video capability, but better audio, etc
then the ipod will be the mp3 player of choice