Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Ugh! I have a 2.4 Penryn black MacBook. It's been waking up on it's own, overheating and shutting down since I installed 10.5.7. This happened when I first got it, and I took it to Apple. At that time, seems the RAM wasn't seated properly. It hasn't been a problem again until now. Yesterday, it did it twice. The RAM seems to be seated properly. Is there a firmware update or something I'm missing?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Welcome to my world. Does the display turn on at all when it wakes up? I haven't been able to track down a cause for why it just wants to wake up.

It has ruined my uptime quite a few times already.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Welcome to my world. Does the display turn on at all when it wakes up? I haven't been able to track down a cause for why it just wants to wake up.

It has ruined my uptime quite a few times already.

No- the screen doesn't turn on that I've noticed. I woke up in the middle of the night last night to hear it's fans going like crazy and it's sleep light on solid. I had to open the lid and do a hard shutdown (screen did not come on). That was the second time it did it yesterday. This has not happened since I first bought it over a year ago. I'm thinking 10.5.7 has something to do with it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
No- the screen doesn't turn on that I've noticed. I woke up in the middle of the night last night to hear it's fans going like crazy and it's sleep light on solid. I had to open the lid and do a hard shutdown (screen did not come on). That was the second time it did it yesterday. This has not happened since I first bought it over a year ago. I'm thinking 10.5.7 has something to do with it.
It does seem that it happens more often under 10.5.7 for me as well on my Late 2007 model.

I don't really have any advice though.

Guy Incognito

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
I think it's probably a hardware problem, not a software problem. The same thing happened to me with my Rev. A blackbook. Apple replaced the bluetooth module and sleep switch first. When that didn't fix the problem, they replaced the logic board.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I think it's probably a hardware problem, not a software problem. The same thing happened to me with my Rev. A blackbook. Apple replaced the bluetooth module and sleep switch first. When that didn't fix the problem, they replaced the logic board.

I don't know. It seems to only be happening now after the 10.5.7 update. And I have bluetooth off all the time.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I have my Bluetooth off as well and no devices attached via the USB ports. It'll still wake up when closed and force you to hard reboot.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I've occasionally been having this problem too, although it's been with 10.5.6. Sometimes I'd wake up in the morning and open the lid, just to find that it's already running. The fans were running low, even though the computer seemed to be kinda hot, and the screen stayed blank no matter what I pushed. The Caps and Num Locks wouldn't even turn on/off. So I'd just have to hard restart it and everything went back to normal.

I went in the Console to see what the wake reason was, and it said "Wake Reason: USB7 USB4". I don't know how USB could wake the computer even if I had nothing plugged in but the power adapter. :confused:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah I found my machine abnormally warm as well when opening it up. The fan was just humming along on low and I wouldn't get anything in the logs besides the mention of "you turned the computer on at this time".

Great help system.log!

Guy Incognito

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
I went in the Console to see what the wake reason was, and it said "Wake Reason: USB7 USB4". I don't know how USB could wake the computer even if I had nothing plugged in but the power adapter. :confused:

This is the same sort of problem I had. I believe that the bluetooth module and sleep switch are both connected to the logic board via an internal USB controller. The problem likely has to do with a hardware fault in one or more of these components.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
This is the same sort of problem I had. I believe that the bluetooth module and sleep switch are both connected to the logic board via an internal USB controller. The problem likely has to do with a hardware fault in one or more of these components.

But why is it suddenly happening to most of us who updated to 10.5.7?

Guy Incognito

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
But why is it suddenly happening to most of us who updated to 10.5.7?

It may well be coincidence. I had the problem with 10.5.6 (maybe 10.5.5 too), and so do other contributors to this thread. Or you may be experiencing a different problem with the same symptoms. At any rate, I can attest that the intermittent wake from sleep/bluetooth connectivity problem accompanied by the USB error in the logs was confirmed by Apple as a hardware problem, and was (finally) fixed when the logic board was replaced.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
It may well be coincidence. I had the problem with 10.5.6 (maybe 10.5.5 too), and so do other contributors to this thread. Or you may be experiencing a different problem with the same symptoms. At any rate, I can attest that the intermittent wake from sleep/bluetooth connectivity problem accompanied by the USB error in the logs was confirmed by Apple as a hardware problem, and was (finally) fixed when the logic board was replaced.

Hmm...I'll have to check mine when it does it next time.

EDIT- went through the log and only found this: Wake reason= EHC1 EHC2 UHC4. There is no other wake info for yesterday.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've had it happen before under earlier versions of 10.5. It just happens more often under 10.5.7.

I don't get anything written to the logs though and my machine is the Late 2007 (Merom) White Macbook.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I've had it happen before under earlier versions of 10.5. It just happens more often under 10.5.7.

I don't get anything written to the logs though and my machine is the Late 2007 (Merom) White Macbook.

Now that's weird. I had it happen when I first bought mine. Then for the longest time nothing. Now after 10.5.7, it's happening a lot. I have nothing in my log about it either, at least not the USB issue that was mentioned before.

Guy Incognito

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
Now that's weird. I had it happen when I first bought mine. Then for the longest time nothing. Now after 10.5.7, it's happening a lot. I have nothing in my log about it either, at least not the USB issue that was mentioned before.

My problem was intermittent as well. After Apple replaced the sleep switch and bluetooth module, the problem went away for about six weeks. Then it came back. The fact that you're not seeing the USB error in the logs suggests that we may be talking about different problems with similar symptoms, though.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
My problem was intermittent as well. After Apple replaced the sleep switch and bluetooth module, the problem went away for about six weeks. Then it came back. The fact that you're not seeing the USB error in the logs suggests that we may be talking about different problems with similar symptoms, though.

Yeah- that error is not in the log at all. And I haven't had this happen for over a year.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Try removing /var/vm/sleepimage

A new one will be created when you put the Mac to sleep again.
That worked for me (so far).

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You are... new one gets created automatically when you sleep again. You don't hurt anything by deleting the file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.