Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

033258-iphone3gvs_500.jpg

In February, the first images depicting the back casing of an unreleased iPhone began circulating around the Internet. The images showed a matte finish to the casing, but looked otherwise identical to the current iPhone enclosure. Recently-posted rumors now suggest that we could indeed see a matte casing for the next generation iPhone.

A new image we obtained is embedded above and shows the same matte case beside the current iPhone 3G, which is housed in a shinier plastic casing. The side-by-side image shows the clear difference between the two finishes. We have no further evidence that this case necessarily represents what the next iPhone will look like, but it does seem to be consistent with circulating rumors.

Apple is expected to launch a new iPhone this summer and may announce details at WWDC in early June.

Article Link: New Comparison Photo of Matte iPhone Enclosure?

waynesun

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
The matte looks great. Personally, I think it's an upgrade from the gloss. Time will tell though. Come sooner please, WWDC.

Pugpuppydude

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Utah
Matte all the way. That gossy trash surface would probably scratch so easily.
Ya glossy might look cool for the first week but after it is scratched it will be very unattractive.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i like the matte better. the shiny just gets too dirty and i think the matte looks more "fresh" and "crisp" then the shiny.

I dont think i will get a casing for the matte version. Bad for case makers..

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
nice but I already have a matte finish thanks to my Contour Hard-Shell case. That suckers been a life-saver for numerous drops.
Still looking forward to an upgrade.

puliaficoc20

Oct 15, 2008
This is going to be great. I am going to have an iphone without having to mod it that matches my bike. All blacked out no chrome and matte finish. Soon hopefully my car to.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Oh great a whole different set of matte vs. glossy threads will be born.

I'll be interested in how the matte feels and responds to finger grease etc.

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Imagine if after all of these rumors and projections, no iPhone is intro'd at WWDC? Or if they wait until the last part of the keynote? (That would be some intense suspense).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The matte looks better. I'll especially like it if it has the light rubber grippy kind of feel. A side-by-side shows us the screen size should stay the same, it would appear. I was hoping for a slightly larger screen :(

jlanganki

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Maybe it's a rubberized case so you can drop it and it will just bounce? That would be nice so you don't have to buy your own protective case.

harry20larry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
don't like matte at all, i think it lowers the overall appeal of the phone because it makes it looks cheap and nasty.
On the other hand, if it was metal it would be lovely

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Is is the photo, or does the Matte look a tad shorter and thinner?

i was going to say the same thing .. shorter and thinner. Though thinner, maybe not. The photo looks to be a comparison of the Matte backing laid next to a full-up 3G, the bezel and glass adding to the total thickness. The camera hole is empty on the Matte and filled on the 3G backing.

I hope the matte is actually a grippy surface. Not necessarily rubberized, i think that would tend to pick up gunk.

my 1st-gen iPhone is about to get upgraded. The Home button action is spotty , not very responsive.

Macminiintel

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
the matte looks good from the photos, but to me it looks sorta like its rubberized coating if anyone gets me. I prefer apple products what are glossy and shinny. I'll put the back of my current white 16GB iPhone on the new generation, when I get it that is lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.