PDA

View Full Version : Retriving a password

wiSeZo
May 6, 2004, 07:00 PM
I bought an ibook at a garage sale. It's running perfect. But, when I download files off the internet, the files are locked. I went back to the place where I bought it but they MOVED ALREADY =\. Is there any way I can retrive a password and get admin on my ibook?

grapes911
May 6, 2004, 07:35 PM
I bought an ibook at a garage sale. It's running perfect. But, when I download files off the internet, the files are locked. I went back to the place where I bought it but they MOVED AROUND =\. Is there any way I can retrive a password and get admin on my ibook?

If you have the original cds, you can boot to it and there is a password reset program or something.

7on
May 6, 2004, 08:43 PM
I'd also say reformat the hdd of any used computer you buy.

wiSeZo
May 7, 2004, 01:50 PM
What if you don't have the cd's? Is there any other way I can format or reset the comp?

superbovine
May 7, 2004, 01:55 PM
buy panther *cough cough*

abhishekit
May 7, 2004, 02:01 PM
What if you don't have the cd's? Is there any other way I can format or reset the comp?

note: this is for resetting the password...

Reboot in single-user mode. (hold down cmd+s, while restart). at the screen, enter the command mount -uw /

write Systemstarter.After some messages, it wd say system started. hit return, you wd again get teh shell prompt.

write passwd user -- where user is the shortname of your user account. then it wd ask u to enter ur new password, twice. n u wont see what u r typing, so thats ok.

write reboot, hit enter

cheers