PDA

View Full Version : All of TechTV Fired

Laslo Panaflex
May 7, 2004, 09:35 AM
Straight from Leo himself, all the TechTV staff have been given 60 day notices.

Link (http://leo.typepad.com/tlr/2004/05/comcast_fires_t.html)

This is really a sad day for technology, that station was really pretty good with usually unbiased views. It has been funny to watch Leo change from being a PC guy, to now being a pretty big mac head. Tis' a sad day for all.

atari1356
May 7, 2004, 09:40 AM
http://leo.typepad.com/tlr/2004/05/comcast_fires_t.html

Kwyjibo
May 7, 2004, 09:49 AM
Yeah, this isn't that surprsing, that doesn't mean hosts are necessarily gone ... they will make that decision over the next 60 days, its just the staffers ...

jared_kipe
May 7, 2004, 11:31 AM
Holy Crap!! Why isn't this surprising. I haven't gotten to watch it for awhile while I'm away at college, but it used to be my favorite channel.

jared_kipe
May 7, 2004, 11:32 AM
Holy Crap!! I love TechTV.

applemacdude
May 7, 2004, 11:43 AM
Holy CRap say it aint so

Versello
May 7, 2004, 11:49 AM
Might I ask why they're firing?

Rower_CPU
May 7, 2004, 12:18 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do with the shows/hosts...

I tivo The Screensavers everyday and would really miss it.

Pismo
May 7, 2004, 12:40 PM
Morgan Webb is my favorite so I hope they're not getting rid of her. She's a geek and she's HOT. They need to keep Leo and Patrick and I guess everyone else can go. Is Sumi still there? I'm in college right now and we don't get TechTV so I have to wait until I get home to watch it.

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2004, 12:54 PM
Looks like a relocation...

"Per the WARN Act (governing plant closings) all the employees of TechTV have been given 60 days notice. The San Francisco operation will be shuttered by July. 100 of the existing jobs will be posted for those willing to relocate to LA."

Rower_CPU
May 7, 2004, 12:57 PM
Morgan Webb is my favorite so I hope they're not getting rid of her. She's a geek and she's HOT. They need to keep Leo and Patrick and I guess everyone else can go. Is Sumi still there? I'm in college right now and we don't get TechTV so I have to wait until I get home to watch it.

Jessica Corbin (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/aboutus/story/0,24330,3323182,00.html) gets my vote for the channel hottie. Leo is now only hosting "Call for Help", TSS is hosted by Pat and Kevin Rose, normally.

Sumi Das left TechTV for MSNBC and I'm not sure where she is now.

njmac
May 7, 2004, 01:04 PM
So does this mean that G4 and tech tv will merge to be one channel, or are they just relocating the Tech TV studio to L.A. ? The Screen Savers is a great show, and even with Leo gone Kevin talks alot about Macs.

Laslo Panaflex
May 7, 2004, 01:07 PM
G4 and TechTV are merging into one channel. Comcast bought TechTV.

Dippo
May 7, 2004, 01:23 PM
NO!!!! It can't be true.

Why do they always cancel shows I really like. Not only shows, but the whole channel...what's next FNC??

I hope they keep The Screensavers and even CFH not to mention X-Play.

What morons would cancel an entire channel that has a dedicated audience??
I could just slap them!

g808
May 7, 2004, 01:45 PM
News.com article (http://news.com.com/2100-1026_3-5207821.html?tag=nefd.hed)

baby duck monge
May 7, 2004, 02:04 PM
here's to hoping that the shows get brought back (in either their current form, or at least a similar one)! it was always a blast to watch while at home, and truly a great resource for all sorts of information. :(

dotcomlarry
May 7, 2004, 03:38 PM
You may want to read this G4/TechTV Merger FAQ (http://www.g4tv.com/techtvmerger/) before you jump to conlusions... Of particular interest is this:
Q: What will a typical programming day look like?
A: The merged network will be the nation's premier 24/7 television network all about video games, technology and the gamer lifestyle. The G4 programming day will showcase many existing G4 and TechTV series such as G4's ICONS; PULSE; JUDGMENT DAY; PLAYERS, and CHEAT! as well as TechTV's ANIME UNLEASHED; X-PLAY; SCREEN SAVERS; FRESH GEAR; and ROBOT WARS. G4 will also premiere new original programming which will be announced at a later date.

STITCHES
May 7, 2004, 03:51 PM
Damn man I don't even like most of G4's TV shows except for Icons, Cinema Tech and maybe Pulse. I guess because Everybody on TechTV knows each other, it seems like a more friendly environment that I like. and of all the Shows on TechTV they kept Robot Wars, damn I hate that show, but thats just me.

MacFan26
May 7, 2004, 04:19 PM
and of all the Shows on TechTV they kept Robot Wars, damn I hate that show, but thats just me.

Oh man, I hate that show too, it's almost as bad as watching anything on TLC. We get Tech TV here on campus, but I rarely watch it except for when the screensavers are on.

Laslo Panaflex
May 7, 2004, 04:28 PM
You may want to read this G4/TechTV Merger FAQ (http://www.g4tv.com/techtvmerger/) before you jump to conlusions... Of particular interest is this:

Yeah, but the studios are being relocated to Los Angeles, so Leo and the gang have to be willing to move to keep their jobs. I really don't think that this new TechTV G4 split is going to pan out the way that they think. . . but I hope it does, I really like that station.

Sayer
May 7, 2004, 04:42 PM
This is a common tactic when a merger happens.

Basically what they do is "fire" everyone and immediately rehire them back for different salaries/titles/locations.

It effectively cancels their prior contracts and establishes new ones (for everything) with the new company.

Leo had a different situation, he had renegotiated his contract apparently right before/during the merger and the owner decided to cut him off with some kind of clause in his contract.

Anytime someone disappears from a show for a week or more, and no one comments on it like it never happened, iit usually indicates contract disputes or re-negotiations. Radio personalities do this all the time, taking vacations until their contract expires and either coming back or popping up on another station all of a sudden.

Anyone from the Phoenix AZ area might remember "Dave Pratt" on 98 KUPD, he bailed after nearly 20 years on the same station, took a vacation until his contract expired and popped up on an old-fart top 40 station.

The station decided he wasn't "hip" and "in touch" with the current Gen Y crowd and got some 20-somethings who did nothing but Howard Stern-esque d*ck and fart jokes all the time on air in his place. Boy, that was a brilliant move - listenership dropped faster than Courtney Love's head when near a line of cocaine.

It happens *all* the time. No big deal unless someone throws a hissy fit behind the scenes or Comcast gets really nasty publicly (calling the former cast idiots or something).

Dippo
May 7, 2004, 09:52 PM

Well I am glad they are going to keep The ScreenSavers. Even though most of the stuff they do is Windows based. They do sneak in Mac and Linux stuff every now and then, and they are just so much fun to watch.

Of course now all I need is to get the channel G4...huh, I wonder if it is even offered in my area :confused:

mac15
May 7, 2004, 10:25 PM
That sucks, Australia just got Digital Cable and techTV was a new channel now I miss out on the damn thing! We don't get G4 either

Counterfit
May 8, 2004, 12:01 AM
listenership dropped faster than Courtney Love's head when near a line of cocaine. ROFL!!! :D :D :D

Spock
May 8, 2004, 01:59 PM
I HATE ROBOT WARS!! I wish they would get rid of that show. It is almost as bad as Thunderbirds.

MacNut
May 8, 2004, 02:15 PM
So what happens to cable companies that currently have contracts with TechTV, will they just carry over with the G4 contract or will new contracts have to be written from scratch.

jeffbistrong
May 8, 2004, 03:07 PM
why would they do such a thing

michaelrjohnson
May 8, 2004, 10:04 PM
thank goodness they will keep the major content. those are some of the most educational shows on air today. they help the masses, honestly. well, i hope they follow through on the deal..

by the way, i hate robot wars also.

GorillaPaws
May 9, 2004, 12:17 AM
i hate robot wars also.

This is a little off topic but.... I always thought they should do a robot wars thing where people built huge car sized remote controlled machines that would rip each other apart, kinda a cross between robot wars, monster garage and one of those red-neck monster truck rally-type deals. There wouldn't really be any restrictions (maybe something like no projectile weapons or something), and would take place in a salt-flat desert type place, filmed with remote cameras and stuff (to prevent people from getting hurt as the gas-powered things blow up as they tear into each other). Now that would be an entertaining robot wars show. They could do it tournament style where the winner gets a BIG check, like a mill or something like that. The thing that makes the current show suck so bad is that they play up the combat to be so hard core, when it's really just a bunch of armor-plated rc cars running into each other and pushing each other into a tiny hole in the floor (i.e. the "pit of oblivion" which is like 8" deep). What do you all think? Is this a good show idea, or have I been in VA too long?

jared_kipe
May 9, 2004, 01:40 AM
I was impressed by robot wars once. There was this little yellow wedge that went under this much bigger robot and quite literally, FLIPPED it probably 20 ft. in the air and out of the arena. It was pretty incredible, but I never saw anything that cool ever happen again.

That said, I do have to agree with the earlier posts. They aren't really that small though. They are like the size of a little kid's go-kart. What they need are some weapons that do damage. I can't believe how many times I've seen the toss over contraption just flip the car over onto its back where it can apparently still function. I've NEVER seen an ax thing do any real damage. Disks sometimes work, but malfunction too often. Where is the voltage arcing robot?? Where is the robot that tosses some really strong acid on the other robot?? I want to see creativity.

Dippo
May 9, 2004, 01:46 AM
I was impressed by robot wars once. There was this little yellow wedge that went under this much bigger robot and quite literally, FLIPPED it probably 20 ft. in the air and out of the arena. It was pretty incredible, but I never saw anything that cool ever happen again.

That said, I do have to agree with the earlier posts. They aren't really that small though. They are like the size of a little kid's go-kart. What they need are some weapons that do damage. I can't believe how many times I've seen the toss over contraption just flip the car over onto its back where it can apparently still function. I've NEVER seen an ax thing do any real damage. Disks sometimes work, but malfunction too often. Where is the voltage arcing robot?? Where is the robot that tosses some really strong acid on the other robot?? I want to see creativity.

I can't really stand Robot Wars either. I did used to watch Battle Bots show that was on some other network. It was marginally better.

Of course I am just waiting for them to come out with Battle Boats. At least then we can see the ship sink :)

Robot Wars just isn't destructive enough for my taste.

PalmHarborTchr
May 9, 2004, 08:50 AM
Perhaps Apple Computer could have bought some ad time on this station,
and it could have survived and perhaps the PC heads might have considered
a Mac....but I guess that makes too much sense.
Isn't it interesting that you see more ads for diet pills, bags that take
air out for clothes packing, and Yoga than Apple Computers on cable TV?

leftbanke7
May 9, 2004, 12:16 PM

Simple answer for that: Cable advertising is WAY less expensive than free TV and so you are much more likely to find advertising for these rinky dink products than from major name brands.

Advertising on cable is hit or miss. Outside of shows like the Sopranos and Larry David's show (The name excapes me), you might, at most, have 125,000-250,000 people watching a show, expecially in niche programming like TechTV and The Food Channel. Even a really bad ABC show is pulling in 1-2 million people. You want to put your ads where people are going to see them. While I agree that it would be beyond logical for computer companies to advertise on channels like TechTV, if you think about it, the shows themselves are essentually free advertising as they talk about the things computer companies are doing and what products are available.

virividox
May 9, 2004, 04:13 PM
dang i like tech tv

windowsblowsass
May 9, 2004, 04:26 PM
lets all go to philly an dprotest comcast and/or burn it to the ground

I was wondering what happened to Leo

windowsblowsass
May 9, 2004, 04:38 PM
WILL techtv just change to g4 like whn zdtv went to techtv or will i not have it anymore

jaw04005
May 9, 2004, 04:47 PM

Apple used to advertise on TechTV back in the 1999 era when everything came in colors ;) I actually remember getting to watch the entire "Return of Steve Jobs" (as CEO) MacWorld Keynote on TechTV live---very nice, wish they still did that. I only watch Call for Help and The Screensavers (not so much after Leo left). I enjoy Chris Breen's mac tips and that Alex guy on Call for Help that does Photoshop tips. The Screensavers is not so good since Leo left it to save Call 4 Help but maybe they will bounce back on the G4 network. Leo has said publicly he will return to the Screensavers if they would "live to tape" it a few days a week and not actually broadcast live. We will see.. best of luck to the former employees.

jaw04005
May 9, 2004, 04:51 PM
lets all go to philly an dprotest comcast and/or burn it to the ground

I was wondering what happened to Leo

Leo is back on Call for Help. Not the Screensavers though.

Blackheart
May 9, 2004, 04:57 PM
This sucks so much. I don't get TechTV at home unless we pay extra but I've been watching it all school year. My dormmates and I watch screen savers religiously at 4:00 every day. Everybody on the show is great, it seems like such a casual environment to watch. I loved the screensavers so much that I was going to pay the extra money so that I could watch it during the summer. I'm gonna miss those guys if I end up not being able to watch them anymore.

Spock
May 9, 2004, 07:18 PM
I also never liked the BBC rejects on TechTV like Future Fighting Machines, Spy Scool, Thenderbirds, ROBOT WARS.
And I love how they have cable in the classroom but they play shows like Wired For Sex, I mean I thoght TTV was for familys I miss the old ZdTV with The Screensavers, Internet tonight, Gamespot, Fresh Gear,Call For Help. I think the only show I did not like was Silicon Spin with John C. Dvorak

MacNut
May 9, 2004, 09:47 PM
WILL techtv just change to g4 like whn zdtv went to techtv or will i not have it anymore

It should be a seamless transition, thats why comcast bought them in the first place, to reach more homes.

ps why did Pirillo leave in the first place, I liked him on call for help, Leo is to dry for that show.

switchedanhappy
May 10, 2004, 12:33 AM
IT IS NOW UP TO US TO SAVE TECHTV!!!!!!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ttv00814&1

My name is ben. you can find me on the petition (signature 1908)

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

eric_n_dfw
May 10, 2004, 01:26 PM
Anyone from the Phoenix AZ area might remember "Dave Pratt" on 98 KUPD, he bailed after nearly 20 years on the same station, took a vacation until his contract expired and popped up on an old-fart top 40 station.

The station decided he wasn't "hip" and "in touch" with the current Gen Y crowd and got some 20-somethings who did nothing but Howard Stern-esque d*ck and fart jokes all the time on air in his place. Boy, that was a brilliant move - listenership dropped faster than Courtney Love's head when near a line of cocaine..
No way! I used to listen to the "Red Rocker" all the time in High School.

That was the only station you could get (on various frequencies) all over the State too.

I moved to TX back in '93 - I can't believe he's not there any more.

(Talk about nostalgia - I remember putting those red, white & black 98 KUPD stickers on everything!)

Back on topic, has anyone heard if the new G4/TTV merged channel will still be on DirecTV? I refuse to go leave my DirecTV Tivo/DVR - not even for The Screen Savers.

And - even though they said they'd keep TSS, I have to wonder if the talent will stay. Leo leaving was bad enough, but if Kevin and Sarah go I'd probably loose interest.

MacFan25
May 10, 2004, 02:14 PM
I was pretty surprised when I heard of this news. I think the people over at TechTV are great. I always try to watch TSS, it's a great show.

But I was surprised when Leo was fired about a month ago, and then he was re-hired, and I figured all was well until this. Hopefully at least some of the hosts will be hired back.

numediaman
May 10, 2004, 04:41 PM
Running Tech TV out of LA (vs SF), sounds a lot like Penton's decision to run Internet World out of NYC (again, instead of SF). Didn't work for Penton, we'll see how this works.

cjc343
May 10, 2004, 06:39 PM
This sucks... I was on TechTV once because I live in the area... I still have a tape of it.... I don't get it at home, but I always wanted to. I was reviewing the waveDJ which sucked... the only good part was when the host (name escapes me at the moment) pressed a button and it said "wake up and smell the coffee" He started cracking up like crazy, and couldn't stop until he managed to get the rest of the staff to take him off the air.....

I signed the petition... I don't want TechTV to be merged away before I get a proper chance to watch it.....

MacNut
May 11, 2004, 11:58 AM
The name of the new network will be G4Techtv www.g4techtv.com

MacNut
May 11, 2004, 12:04 PM
COMCAST COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF TECHTV

PHILADELPHIA, PA (May 10, 2004) - Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK) today announced that it has completed the purchase of TechTV from Vulcan Programming, Inc. and, as planned, will merge it with G4, the Comcast-owned television network devoted to video games and the gamer lifestyle. EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) will have an equity interest in the combined entity. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Beginning May 28, the two channels will merge into one network called G4techTV and will be available in approximately 44 million cable and satellite homes nationwide. The merged channel will be headquartered in Los Angeles.

"We are confident that G4techTV will offer value to the many affiliates; advertisers; content partners; and viewers of both G4 and TechTV," said Charles Hirschhorn, CEO of the merged network. "The combined programming lineup will let viewers continue to enjoy their favorite shows while, at the same time, introducing them to new programming. Additionally, we have begun to develop new, exciting original programming that will premiere later this year."

Viewers who have questions about the merger may log onto http://www.g4techtv.com for more information.

rueyeet
May 11, 2004, 03:26 PM
What do you all think? Is this a good show idea, or have I been in VA too long?Yes. ;) :)

There are a couple of geeks I know who are going to be pretty disappointed at the big changes to their default channel of choice! But time will tell; I'm sure even Comcast isn't dumb enough to mess with TechTV's highest-rated and most popular offerings, and really, the combination of TechTV with a video-gamer's channel is pretty common sense.

Though....G4TechTV? What the heck were their marketing people thinking?

MacNut
May 11, 2004, 05:17 PM

Its kinda like when TNN became "The New" TNN and then became Spike TV.
Im sure in a year or 2 they will make a more permanent name.

Raid
May 12, 2004, 10:31 AM

Yeah it should be at least G5-TechTV! :D

Get with the times Comcast! :p :)

switchedanhappy
May 12, 2004, 03:40 PM
Its kinda like when TNN became "The New" TNN and then became Spike TV.
Im sure in a year or 2 they will make a more permanent name.

I think that tnn was just trying to get some freshnes into the network though. what we're talking about is a merger between two different channels.

windowsblowsass
May 12, 2004, 07:40 PM
I think that tnn was just trying to get some freshnes into the network though. what we're talking about is a merger between two different channels.
actually tnn got bought out kind of like techtv

FightTheFuture
May 13, 2004, 01:43 AM
am i the only one who likes Unscrewed here? martin sergeant and laura swisher add great personalities to the network. its somewhat refreshing.

MacNut
May 13, 2004, 01:48 AM
I like the show, luckily it will be one of the saved shows.

Rod Rod
May 13, 2004, 02:12 PM
Jessica Corbin (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/aboutus/story/0,24330,3323182,00.html) gets my vote for the channel hottie. Leo is now only hosting "Call for Help", TSS is hosted by Pat and Kevin Rose, normally.

Sumi Das left TechTV for MSNBC and I'm not sure where she is now.

Jessica Corbin's site has Quicktime thumbnails for her clips, but they link to Windows Media Player files. http://jessicacorbin.com/jessica.htm -- click "as seen on TV."

I saw Sumi Das on MSNBC in the past month or two. She's a great storyteller, and is very impressive with breaking news.