PDA

View Full Version : How's 'yo Dock?

neoelectronaut
May 7, 2004, 06:24 PM
Where do you have your dock positioned, etc?

I'm having trouble deciding exactly how I want mine set.

Since I had my Mac it's been at the bottom, about half-sized, about half-magnification on, and no autohide.

Just recently I put it on the left side of the screen, made it the full height of the monitor, and set it to autohide.

LethalWolfe
May 7, 2004, 06:39 PM
My dock on both my macs (home and work) is on the left side, basically the height of the screen, about 1/4 magnification, and autohide is on.

Lethal

reaper
May 7, 2004, 06:45 PM
I just leave it at the bottom, about half the screen, no magnification and no autohide.

- reaper

mkrishnan
May 7, 2004, 06:51 PM
I use bottom of the screen, rather on the small side, so that it fills about 80% of the screen width with about 25 icons. Autohide, no magnification. I thought mag was really cool at first but it gave me a headache. :rolleyes:

applemacdude
May 7, 2004, 07:02 PM

7on
May 7, 2004, 07:12 PM
My Dock's at the bottom, full size, autohide.

insidedanshead
May 7, 2004, 07:19 PM
super small. bottom. left.

neoelectronaut
May 7, 2004, 10:07 PM
super small. bottom. left.

Whoa whoa whoa, pick one, bottom, or left, you can't have both.

thatwendigo
May 7, 2004, 10:25 PM
My main dock is aligned at the bottom, about quarter sized but running most of the way across the screen. I have two more docks, one for communications-related programs and one for media and drives, arranged on the right side. The two spare docks are thanks to Dock-It. (http://www.gideonsoftworks.com/dockit.html)

atari1356
May 7, 2004, 11:41 PM
I keep mine on the left, with auto-hide off... although I just turned autohide on and might try that for a while. Having that screen space back seems nice, but it's a little disconcerting not being able to glance over and see what apps you have open.

Abstract
May 8, 2004, 02:27 AM
On my 12" PB, I have the dock size and magnification set to the max. :cool:

Of course, I have around 20 icons in my dock, so setting my dock size at 1/4 of the maximum setting still leaves my dock at full size.

abhishekit
May 8, 2004, 03:06 AM
on the left, dock size small, visible

Dippo
May 8, 2004, 03:52 AM
I keep my taskbar ...uh I mean dock on the bottom without autohide :D

Felix_the_Mac
May 8, 2004, 04:14 AM
I have switched my dock off.

I use LaunchBar for starting apps, cmd + tab for switching and have added a sidebar item in the finder for Trash. (Only needed to view whats in trash really).

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 8, 2004, 05:23 AM
I keep the dock at the right side, fairly large size (so it fills the side), without any magnification and hiding off (both these features are really annoying and only makes you click on the wrong dock item, all the time).

On a 12" screen I think placing the dock on the side makes the best use of screenspace.

russed
May 8, 2004, 05:52 AM
bottom, nearly at the smallest size, no hiding and no magnification

mkrishnan
May 8, 2004, 06:30 AM
I keep my taskbar ...uh I mean dock on the bottom without autohide :D

Ummm...you're talking about that strip at the bottom of the screen that says "Start!", right, and on the right hand side there are a bunch of icons that disappear halfway through the session when the computer crashes, right? :) I didn't know you could move it! :D BTW, why do you have to press Start to shut your computer down? Shouldn't there be a button marked "Finish!"

Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about Win98. :) But I don't have Win98. I have a Mac. Yeah, that's right. A MAC. :)

fBaran
May 8, 2004, 09:30 AM
Applemacdude! What do you use to get your down down there?

Maritan
May 8, 2004, 10:42 AM

I'm guessing TinkerTool.

I have autohide on, and magnification off.

theimacguy
May 8, 2004, 10:57 AM

TBR
May 8, 2004, 11:10 AM
At the bottom small, about 50% screen width with 25 icons in it and magnification on FULL no hiding.

applemacdude
May 8, 2004, 11:53 AM

Cocktail http://www.macosxcocktail.com/download.html

mms
May 8, 2004, 12:24 PM
Left side, full size, no magnification, hiding on. IMO the best solution for a 12" screen, when I need as much screen space to use as possible. On my 17" moniter at home, I use it the same way except with hiding off. I think magnification is pointless. My brother and my dad use their docks tiny with max magnification, which really really bugs me when I go in to help them with something.

baby duck monge
May 8, 2004, 12:25 PM
Ummm...you're talking about that strip at the bottom of the screen that says "Start!", right, and on the right hand side there are a bunch of icons that disappear halfway through the session when the computer crashes, right? :) I didn't know you could move it! :D BTW, why do you have to press Start to shut your computer down? Shouldn't there be a button marked "Finish!"

Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about Win98. :) But I don't have Win98. I have a Mac. Yeah, that's right. A MAC. :)

not sure, but i think you can actually move it to the top of the screen. and use autohide. but someone with a pc would need to back me up on the first part.

billyboy
May 8, 2004, 01:16 PM
The Dock-it dock on the left is set to auto hide. I set up folders of Admin, audio, office apps etc which is nothing new, except Dock-it will launch apps and bring them to front without appearing in and clogging up Dock-it.

So basically I can have as many apps open as I like and always know where each folder and its relevant apps are sited in the Dock-it , which is a great improvement on having to squint at every single ever changing position of open app icons in the Apple dock, (which is hidden at the bottom right mostly for emergencies only, ie force quit, or to see just how many apps are open overall edit; and for trash bin.)

MacCoaster
May 8, 2004, 01:45 PM
I have mine on the bottom, locked to the left side. I prefer this because that way my commonly accessed apps stay where they are instead of having to have a moving target. Hidden docks just drive me crazy.

I do use LaunchBar but I use it in addition to the dock. Notice Mail.app says how many unread emails I have--that's one reason why I have dock on all the time.

I used TinkerTool to put the dock on the left side when it's on the bottom as well.

Felix_the_Mac
May 8, 2004, 03:35 PM
I do use LaunchBar but I use it in addition to the dock. Notice Mail.app says how many unread emails I have--that's one reason why I have dock on all the time.

Try The Unread (http://www.schartworks.com/utilities/theunread/) it displays current unread mails in the menu bar and allows you to do without the dock.

mkrishnan
May 8, 2004, 03:40 PM
not sure, but i think you can actually move it to the top of the screen. and use autohide. but someone with a pc would need to back me up on the first part.

You can...sorry for the sarcasm. And I do have a Win98 PC...I only use it for SPSS though...must find a copy of Mac SPSS... :D

MacCoaster
May 8, 2004, 11:03 PM
Try The Unread (http://www.schartworks.com/utilities/theunread/) it displays current unread mails in the menu bar and allows you to do without the dock.
What about the iChat unread msgs? Xchat unread msgs? Using ctrl-click on the dock to access useful functionality?

Felix_the_Mac
May 9, 2004, 03:31 AM
What about the iChat unread msgs? Xchat unread msgs? Using ctrl-click on the dock to access useful functionality?

I don't use either of those programs, but I do understand the problem since I use NetNewsReader, for which the dock icon displays a count. I see this info whenever I cmd + tab to switch applications. How important are these counts to you?

With regard to useful functionality available by ctrl-clicking the dock ... I don't belive this is any. Honestly. All these functions can be accessed very easily by other routes.

BTW, I am using my PowerBook without an external mouse, so I want to have maximum accessibility through the keyboard. If I was using a desktop I would probably want find different solutions.