PDA

View Full Version : -Grab Your Desktop-

kjdenison
May 9, 2004, 01:27 AM
I think it would be interesting to see what everyones desktop looks like. No open windows, just the way you have your desktop layed out. Heres mine.

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com

LethalWolfe
May 9, 2004, 01:51 AM
I'd rather grab what's on YOUR desktop. :p

Someone was going to say it so it might as well as been me. :D

Lethal

Veldek
May 9, 2004, 02:22 AM
We already have these threads every month. Here's the May one:

May Desktops (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=70067)

york2600
May 9, 2004, 03:14 AM
Here's a nice sunset photo of the Berkeley pier looking out towards Marin County.

aussie_geek
May 9, 2004, 03:47 AM
You can see I am a diehard apple fan....

aussie_geek :cool:

kjdenison
May 9, 2004, 08:32 PM
I didn't realize you guys had this going. I never checked the picture page! But I would probley pay a great deal of money to grab a bit of my desktop also :)

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com

musicpyrite
May 9, 2004, 09:03 PM
Heres mine (I edited it for MR, cauz your so special ;) ):

7on
May 9, 2004, 10:00 PM
Grab... The most useless app out there :)

oh, and I'm between desktops now and the dock is auto-hiding.

EDIT: It is useless because of Cmd+Shift+3 (or Ctrl+Cmd+Shift+3). The 2nd copies the screen to the clipboard, but I digress.

SiliconAddict
May 10, 2004, 01:09 AM
In honor of OS X: Tiger :cool:

And stop rolling your eyes! I'm stuck on a PC until Apple graces us with a G5 PowerBook. Dang it Apple. Hurry up already!

7on
May 10, 2004, 01:15 AM
In honor of OS X: Tiger :cool:

And stop rolling your eyes! I'm stuck on a PC until Apple graces us with a G5 PowerBook. Dang it Apple. Hurry up already!

*rolls eyes*

you should be ashamed! There are only like what, 2 other 64bit laptops and both are really thick and get shoddy battery time. And I do believe Apple would rather hear people complaining that they want one rather than people complaining that G5 Powerbooks are too thick and ugly.
[/off topic]

SiliconAddict
May 10, 2004, 07:41 AM
*rolls eyes*

you should be ashamed! There are only like what, 2 other 64bit laptops and both are really thick and get shoddy battery time. And I do believe Apple would rather hear people complaining that they want one rather than people complaining that G5 Powerbooks are too thick and ugly.
[/off topic]

Are you an engineer? Do you work with the design team at Apple? If not you do not know neither how much realistic heat a G5 system would generate nor how long they have been toying with it in the labs. (Potentially since last year after the G5 PowerMac was release.)

As for why I have yet to get a PowerBook:

http://www.barefeats.com/al15b.html

http://www.barefeats.com/image04/al15-pc2.gif

The graphics from a Mac benchmark site alone should tell the story. The even newer Pentium M's with 2MB of onboard cache will further widen the gap. Apple has to do something. They are currently in the same performance band and having the same performance issues that the PowerMac had pre-G5. (I believe this is primarily do to the crap FSB on PowerBooks.) Until the performance gap narrows to less then 10% I can't warrant spending $3,000 on a 17" PowerBook esp when I'm going to most likely use FCE and VPC on it one of the more processor intensive apps out there. Beyond that itís a forgone conclusions that Apple is going to optimize both OS X and its iapps for the G5 soon. Consider the performance increase weíve seen on code recompiled for IBMís CPU. Wasnít it somewhere in the ballpark of 200-300%? Iíd be an idiot to not at least TRY and future proof my next system as best as possible. Again I spend $3,000 once every 3-4 years. Iím on that edge right now. Do you think Apple wonít do some serious tweaks for the G5 in the next 3-4 years? I canít, and pretty much wonít spend that kind of cash again until that timeframe expires so it behooves me to get the best bang for my buck I can get.
Again as Iíve said in more threads then I can count. show me the performance and I'll show apple the money in a heartbeat.

So where were we? Ahh yes. Desktop images. Anyone else have a Digitalblasphemy account?

wrldwzrd89
May 10, 2004, 08:14 AM
Doesn't this thread belong in Community Discussion, along with the other desktop threads? I'm using the default desktop on my Mac (but I can't post it here since I'm not at my Mac right now).

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2004, 08:55 AM
ah, there has been a long going tradition of having a monthly desktop thread in the community. Lets keep that going and have only one dt thread at a time...

D