Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKatianarie

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
I just saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to Geico. Lol, jk (sorry, I couldn't resist ;P). God, where do I begin? Ok, so my high school's Awards Banquet for seniors was tonight, where they pass out the scholarships each senior won (if they won any at all), and the student awards. I (thank the lord baby Jesus) got enough to cover what I would have had to take out in loans for my first year, so basically, my freshma year is paid for (room & board, tuition, books, student fees, all covered). So the student awards were actually cash made out to the student for them to spend however they wish, and.......I ACCUMULATED ROUGHLY 1,500!!!!!!!! :). Which means I won't have to pay for my macbook via credit, I can pay in COLD, HARD CASH BABY! Sorry, I'm just a lil excited :). But yeah, now I have a problem. I've been waiting for WWDC so I could pick up my macbook aluminum (hopefull update, no matter how small the specs bump), and to get the free ipod touch (which would hopefully have the 3.0 software) but I would prefer to pick it up at my nearest Apple Store (20 min. away). When would you think they'd have the updated macbook aluminums/ipod touches with 3.0 software in stock? Long post, I know, sorry.

Burning Radio

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
I just saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to Geico. Lol, jk (sorry, I couldn't resist ;P). God, where do I begin? Ok, so my high school's Awards Banquet for seniors was tonight, where they pass out the scholarships each senior won (if they won any at all), and the student awards. I (thank the lord baby Jesus) got enough to cover what I would have had to take out in loans for my first year, so basically, my freshma year is paid for (room & board, tuition, books, student fees, all covered). So the student awards were actually cash made out to the student for them to spend however they wish, and.......I ACCUMULATED ROUGHLY 1,500!!!!!!!! :). Which means I won't have to pay for my macbook via credit, I can pay in COLD, HARD CASH BABY! Sorry, I'm just a lil excited :). But yeah, now I have a problem. I've been waiting for WWDC so I could pick up my macbook aluminum (hopefull update, no matter how small the specs bump), and to get the free ipod touch (which would hopefully have the 3.0 software) but I would prefer to pick it up at my nearest Apple Store (20 min. away). When would you think they'd have the updated macbook aluminums/ipod touches with 3.0 software in stock? Long post, I know, sorry.

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!! Same story here basically. I love that I HAVE to spend 2500 a year! lol.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have absolutely no idea!

The truth is... nobody knows
Not even those who say they do

Congrats to the OP

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Congrats to the OP! Really funny though, his joke about the car insurance prompted an insurance:D ad link at the bottom of the thread.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Not for me. I love AdBlock Plus and Firefox. :D
Hey, no Kidding!

I was looking at my wife's machine as she was logged into yahoo - all that flashing crap and clutter. Mine's as clean as can be. :D

And to the OP... You da bomb kid! (And you earned it).

Our local high school had a drawing for 6 macbooks a few weeks ago. My graduate/daughter didn't get one of course :mad:

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Congrats. You must have worked hard in school to garner the accolades. Good luck in University and enjoy your summer before things get busy!

Now the unsolicited advice....you're smart, you'll appreciate it.

Loans for education are an investment in your future. If necessary it makes sense to assume them. Computers depreciate fast, which makes them poor investments. They may be necessary for getting school work done, but rarely do you need the best machine for that. My point is, don't buy a computer on credit. Save your money and when you have enough buy what you need. You'll likely be paying for your computer+interest for a lot longer than it takes to save for one. Nothing sucks more than making payments on a machine that has been updated...twice!

iKatianarie

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Congrats. You must have worked hard in school to garner the accolades. Good luck in University and enjoy your summer before things get busy!

Now the unsolicited advice....you're smart, you'll appreciate it.

Loans for education are an investment in your future. If necessary it makes sense to assume them. Computers depreciate fast, which makes them poor investments. They may be necessary for getting school work done, but rarely do you need the best machine for that. My point is, don't buy a computer on credit. Save your money and when you have enough buy what you need. You'll likely be paying for your computer+interest for a lot longer than it takes to save for one. Nothing sucks more than making payments on a machine that has been updated...twice!

Thanks :). Well, see, that's kinda what I was gonna do at first (buy it using the best buy card, which I was gonna apply for when I turned 18 on June 1st, but never got around to it cuz I was being lazy ;P). And if I didn't get approved, I was going to use my Aunt's card (because 18 months with no interest was/still is a pretty good deal). But yeah, now I don't have to worry about that anymore, because now I've got my money for school, AND for my macbook :D. There's still the question of when the Apple Retail stores will get the updated Macbooks/iPods. It took best buy (online at least) about a week to get the new white macbooks, and when I clicked find at the closest retailer, it said they had them in stock. I'm kinda hoping the Apple Stores will have them sooner though, cuz I'm impatient, and dying for my macbook ;P.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
:eek: Dayum! Congratulations! I'm glad everything worked out for you! :D

Unfortunately, I had a 4.3/4.0 GPA and did great on my ACT, filled out over 50 scholarships, and I couldn't get a dime in financial aid, scholarships, or grants. I'm going into my third year of school and am about 60 grand in debt already. :eek:

Meh, whatever. Hopefully I'll get a decent job when I graduate.

Anyway, to answer your question, sometimes Apple stores have the stuff ready to go the same day they're announced. Other times, they might take a few weeks, if not a month! So, honestly, we won't know until next week.

iKatianarie

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009

Unfortunately, I had a 4.3/4.0 GPA and did great on my ACT, filled out over 50 scholarships, and I couldn't get a dime in financial aid, scholarships, or grants. I'm going into my third year of school and am about 60 grand in debt already. :eek:

Anyway, to answer your question, sometimes Apple stores have the stuff ready to go the same day they're announced. Other times, they might take a few weeks, if not a month! So, honestly, we won't know until next week.

Aww :(. That really sucks. I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're doing well in school, so maybe you'll graduate with a couple of job offers. I'm gonna end up having to wait until WWDC for everything to be official. UGH! I hate waiting :mad:. But whatever. It's only 4 days away. And patience is something I need to work on, so maybe this'll be my lesson.

ordo1980

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

Hey Bud, I know how you feel, but just keep working hard and things will work out for you. :) I have 80k in debt and am entering law school this August with a full scholarship. Some day hopefully that debt won't be such an issue. I've worked hard and I'm excited at my scholarship, and you sound like a smart kid so I'm sure you can do it too. And I was like you too, awesome grades and test scores, but practically nothing in scholarships for my undergrad. I'm going to a lower-tier law school, but I couldn't turn down the free ride. With 80k of debt already, I couldn't justify taking on another 100k of debt, even if it was for a top-tier school. :( Money, in the end, is money. And my hat's off to the OP, congrats on your achievements as well. :D

Now if they would just update the base alumbook specs so I can go to best buy and get my new - and first - macbook for school this August!!!! :p

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008

What school do you go to? That just doesn't right? Is your family well off?

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Thanks guys for the encouragement, guys (and gals). Yeah, it sucks a lot. But, at the end of the day, I just keep working and cross my fingers one day the debt won't even be much of an issue. :)

I go to the University of Missouri. No, I come from a single-mother household. And, while we're certainly not "hurting", we're not "well off" :p My dad makes a good chunk of change with his business, but he hasn't paid child support in AGES. My mom has fought for it for a while, but at this point, it's a lost battle. Because of his involvement with the military/gov't, he's been able to get by. But, with the way things are done through the gov't and my school, I'm required to add the money he's supposed to pay into our family's income. It's stupid. It doesn't make sense. And we've tried to fight it to no avail. But, 'tis life, I suppose, right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread. I'm super-happy for the OP!! You sound like you've worked hard, and you're one to deserve it. I hope college (and your new Macbook :)) treat you well!

Ov3rlord Falc0r

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks guys for the encouragement, guys (and gals). Yeah, it sucks a lot. But, at the end of the day, I just keep working and cross my fingers one day the debt won't even be much of an issue. :)

I go to the University of Missouri. No, I come from a single-mother household. And, while we're certainly not "hurting", we're not "well off" :p My dad makes a good chunk of change with his business, but he hasn't paid child support in AGES. My mom has fought for it for a while, but at this point, it's a lost battle. Because of his involvement with the military/gov't, he's been able to get by. But, with the way things are done through the gov't and my school, I'm required to add the money he's supposed to pay into our family's income. It's stupid. It doesn't make sense. And we've tried to fight it to no avail. But, 'tis life, I suppose, right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread. I'm super-happy for the OP!! You sound like you've worked hard, and you're one to deserve it. I hope college (and your new Macbook :)) treat you well!

Like you said, sorry to derail this thread but I just have to comment on this. I have a family close to me that had a very similar situation. Single mother, 2 kids and father that makes BANK doing whatever he does. (BANK = 350+ grand/year). He never once paid child support (got around it because he has money to pay lawyers and stuff). They fought and fought to try and force him to pay but, like in your situation to no avail. They decided to stop fighting it and let it go.

A few years went by (6 or 7 I believe) and the single mom got hurt at work and workmans comp only pays like 50% of your usual paycheck to you. So they were hurting for money at this time. They decided to start the fight for child support again seeing as they were in dire need of it. They filed a or whatever its called against the father. Apparently he "never received" notification of the claim and his alotted time to respond passed so the courts forced him to pay the family their child support, ALL 6-7 YEARS OF IT!!

I'm not telling you to go and get hurt to get the money, lol. Just realize that things can turn around when you least expect it.

Anyways, to the OP congrats dudette. That's pretty neat, I wish I would have done better in High School. Alas...I was lazy. :( Oh well though, I'm attending community college then transferring to university. Not quite the route I wanted to take but its a consequence of the choices I made a few years ago...

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Congratulations to the OP that's for sure.

And mattcube, sorry to hear that, and like everyone else here, I wish you the best, and if you continue to perform that way, I highly doubt you'll get unnoticed.
I, for one, think that the price of school is way to high in the US. Here, in France, education is a right and not a product. Laugh all you want at France, but I think this principle should prevail in today's economy...
I know, a little off topic :D

ordo1980

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Congratulations to the OP that's for sure.

And mattcube, sorry to hear that, and like everyone else here, I wish you the best, and if you continue to perform that way, I highly doubt you'll get unnoticed.
I, for one, think that the price of school is way to high in the US. Here, in France, education is a right and not a product. Laugh all you want at France, but I think this principle should prevail in today's economy...
I know, a little off topic :D

I for one am not laughing at France, but rather, wishing the U.S. were more like France. Education and health care ... two policies that european nations on the whole get right, and we, the U.S. refuse to see that we're just wrong, and that other countries have it right. It's a real shame. After I get out of law school, my goal is to clear my debt and move to Australia. My uncle lives there, and I love that country.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
I for one am not laughing at France, but rather, wishing the U.S. were more like France. Education and health care ... two policies that european nations on the whole get right, and we, the U.S. refuse to see that we're just wrong, and that other countries have it right. It's a real shame. After I get out of law school, my goal is to clear my debt and move to Australia. My uncle lives there, and I love that country.

Colleges in the US are surperior to those in France (and Europe), although secondary school might be an adantage for Europe. A lot of Europeans study abroad in the US all 4 years. In less wealthy European countires (Spain, Italy, etc) a degree over there doesn't even matter because there aren't any jobs outside of the major cities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.