PDA

View Full Version : OSX Installer, auto-disabling packages

haravikk
Jun 4, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hi there!

I'm trying to help creating an installer for a project, however it has an interesting constraint and I'm hoping to find an easier way to do it.

Currently we have two .mpkg files created by Iceberg; one is an installer that installs a program using data from a CD, and then installs updated files. The second only installs the updated files.

This however creates some redundancy, as both installers contain all the same files, with only a couple of different scripts.

What I would like to do is have a single installer which, once the user has indicated their install directory, will look to see if the CD contents have already been installed, and simply disable that component of the installation so that if they go into "Customise" it will simply be deselected and cannot be selected by the user.

Is this possible? If so, is it dependent on a specific OS X version? I'm trying to support back to 10.2.

Thanks

haravikk
Jun 4, 2009, 04:49 PM
Or even better, is there a way I can specify a file when constructing the installer, but not actually have it included; i.e - I'd add a symbolic link to the file on the CD, so when the installer runs it would copy it from there rather than having to have it bundled?