PDA

View Full Version : connecting to pc laptop

Route9987
May 10, 2004, 08:48 AM
can anyone tell me the simplest and quickest way to connect a powerbook to a pc laptop, detailed instructions required, any way possible ! (wireless, ethernet, etc)

thanks a lot

marc

wrldwzrd89
May 10, 2004, 09:22 AM
can anyone tell me the simplest and quickest way to connect a powerbook to a pc laptop, detailed instructions required, any way possible ! (wireless, ethernet, etc)

thanks a lot

marc
The easiest way to network a Mac and a PC laptop, if no other devices are needed (such as an internet connection), is to connect them with an Ethernet crossover cable (these aren't the normal Ethernet cables used to form Ethernet networks with hubs/switches/routers/etc.; these are meant for direct connections between two computers). Plug one end of the crossover cable to the Mac's Ethernet port, and the other end into the PC's Ethernet port. After that, you have two choices: you can either set up file sharing on the PC and have the Mac connect to it, or set up Windows file sharing on the Mac and have the PC connect to the Mac. Both choices work - I'd use whichever interface you are more familiar with. Once file sharing is set up, you can transfer files between the two machines.

grapes911
May 10, 2004, 09:40 AM
as long as it is a pb from the last few years, a regular ethernet cable will work. The newer apple products have a auto-detecting ethernet adapter in them.

wrldwzrd89
May 10, 2004, 09:43 AM
as long as it is a pb from the last few years, a regular ethernet cable will work. The newer apple products have a auto-detecting ethernet adapter in them.
Yes, it may work for the Mac, but you can't count on it working for the PC's network card. That's why I suggested using a crossover cable.

grapes911
May 10, 2004, 09:48 AM
Yes, it may work for the Mac, but you can't count on it working for the PC's network card. That's why I suggested using a crossover cable.

The pc won't auto-detect. But, the pc will use its standard connection and the apple will automatically set it self up and adapt to the pc.

wrldwzrd89
May 10, 2004, 09:50 AM
The pc won't auto-detect. But, the pc will use its standard connection and the apple will automatically set it self up and adapt to the pc.
I haven't tested it, but if your theory works, you just made the original poster's job MUCH easier! No more hunting for a crossover cable if a regular one will work.

grapes911
May 10, 2004, 09:59 AM
Its not my theory, i got it from here:
link edited: wrong one. I'll have to find it again

edited: Here is the link:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717
The important line is "MDI devices connected to Auto-MDIX devices do not require a crossover Ethernet cable." The other important part is that it has to be a g4 pb.