Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Microsoft wants consumers to buy more expensive, higher spec'd computers, with more profitable software, like Vista, not cheap little netbooks with XP (hence all the limits, such as 1 GB RAM and poor battery life, among others). Personally, I see it as a grand mistake on their part, leading to the further development of Linux based systems and perhaps even a place for Apple to poke in.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Microsoft wants consumers to buy more expensive, higher spec'd computers, with more profitable software, like Vista, not cheap little netbooks with XP (hence all the limits, such as 1 GB RAM and poor battery life, among others). Personally, I see it as a grand mistake on their part, leading to the further development of Linux based systems and perhaps even a place for Apple to poke in.

I doute that is the reason.

I see it more as an anti pritice protection or just the OS is not designed to handle that type of split in hybrid memory storage.

With the hybrid storage it makes it really easy to clone the OS part of the drive onto the 2nd one. Pop it out put it into another computer and clone it again.

Hybrid storage in a netbook makes it possible to set it up jump between drives in the boot up.

Not the smartest move but do not think it is your case because Microsoft is helping develope netbooks and limiting to none hybrid storage reduces the power not increases the power.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
this is just another reminder of why i switched from windows to Mac OS X.

So you switched to a company that only allows their OS on even more specific hardware? Is that not even worse then what Microsoft is doing? ;)

Indeed.

And it seems the readers of that site agree. From the second comment down.........

If that's anti-competitive then what do you call Apple limiting OSX to Apple approved software..?

;)

Goona

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
So you switched to a company that only allows their OS on even more specific hardware? Is that not even worse then what Microsoft is doing? ;)

Apple makes their OS to go with their hardware, this is the main reason people buy Macs. Apple has never made running their software on different hardware a selling point. Microsoft on the other hand talks about choice and running their OS on all sorts of hardware. This is one of the points from their new commercials, so why the heck are they limiting the choice now. Damn hypocrites.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I doute that is the reason.

I see it more as an anti pritice protection or just the OS is not designed to handle that type of split in hybrid memory storage.

With the hybrid storage it makes it really easy to clone the OS part of the drive onto the 2nd one. Pop it out put it into another computer and clone it again.

Hybrid storage in a netbook makes it possible to set it up jump between drives in the boot up.

Not the smartest move but do not think it is your case because Microsoft is helping develope netbooks and limiting to none hybrid storage reduces the power not increases the power.

No. Both M$ and Intel put artificial restrictions:

- M$ does not want their cheap netbook OSes to cannibalize their usual products
- Intel does not want Atom to cannibalize their usual products

That's why you should buy a Linux AMD Neo ultraportable (also because they are not just toys).

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... the OS is not designed to handle that type of split in hybrid memory storage.

The fact the computers run Windows should put that notion to rest. Fear of piracy may be part of it, but I don't think that it is the major part. Expensive hardware "justifies" expensive operating systems. Netbooks are cheap. If users run an expensive OS on cheap hardware, then that places downward pressure on the price of the OS.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The fact the computers run Windows should put that notion to rest. Fear of piracy may be part of it, but I don't think that it is the major part. Expensive hardware "justifies" expensive operating systems. Netbooks are cheap. If users run an expensive OS on cheap hardware, then that places downward pressure on the price of the OS.

This is where you own argument fails.

the hybrid storage would INCREASE cost not decrease it. If the netbook is running on just one or the other Microsoft has made it clear id does not car. This would drive down the cost not up.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Defly annoying,but I've avoided XP so far(admittedly my netbook is better served with Ubuntu)....they should just ship it with Ubuntu 9.04. Wonder, Wonderful OS

Or wait for Windows7

So basicly, not a deal breaker for me(the 1GB RAM is a bigger downer for me, and 16GB SDD, because it means i can't buy a netbook with these things, and install Windows 7 or Ubuntu later....I can, but on less models )

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
I think they want to keep a clear distinction between what is classed as a netbook and a normal laptop. Perhaps it is so people will buy more expensive laptops rather than cheap netbooks, but this is Apple's strategy with OSX too.

Oh, and I don't think they want XP hanging around forever, so they are restricting its use.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think they want to keep a clear distinction between what is classed as a netbook and a normal laptop.
But what is a netbook? We're seen higher storage(250HDD on some), better graphics supper(Ion), bigger screens(10'', 11',12'')...CPU is the big difference....but as Intel/Via improve, that difference will leave too.

Computers have hit a wall(not really, but in a manner of speaking)...netbooks are fast enough for many people. And the tiny size is a plus for more people. Certainly not everyone, but many home users needs are well meet with a netbook.(Heck even my own needs are far low then every computer Apple offers...minus maybe the 1GB RAM in the low Mini)

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
I think the distinction with a netbook is that it isn't meant to be your main computer, just a highly portable run-around device that you can do basic stuff on before returning to base.

I know there have been netbooks with more storage, memory, HD space but IMO the laptop makers are damaging themselves by doing this. Almost all the netbooks don't have a good enough processor for serious work, so by bulking up other components they are setting up their customers for disappointment.

This may change as the Atom and VIA chips grow in power, but they will still be behind desktops and lack other features like a screen you can view more than 1 document at a time and internal optical drives.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

this is the true reason for limiting it. if a netbook comes with hybrid storage that just means that XP isn't allowed to be put on it. Vista/7 would be just fine, but that would end up raising the cost of the machines... its just unfortunate that they're going this route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.