PDA

View Full Version : OSX on x86 Discuss

CrackedButter
May 10, 2004, 05:08 PM
Here is an interesting link that I cannot play with.

http://www.tcmagazine.net/story.php?id=5772

Its an emulator for running OSX on a x86 machine, open source as well.

abhishekit
May 10, 2004, 05:40 PM
:eek: wow, i didnt know such an app existed. anyone here tried it, or can try it and give a review..?

Horrortaxi
May 10, 2004, 05:41 PM
Yes, running 500 times slower than if you used the real hardware. Neat project, but not quite useful yet.

MacCoaster
May 10, 2004, 06:38 PM
Yes, running 500 times slower than if you used the real hardware. Neat project, but not quite useful yet.
Wow you believe everything you read? No, that's just stupid generalization, most likely to dismay people so it wouldn't stir as much trouble, but I don't know.

Really it's not that slow. It's quite usable. I'd say it's a 300 MHz or slower G3 running Mac OS X.

Horrortaxi
May 10, 2004, 09:49 PM
Acctually I believe almost none of what I read, but when it's on the author's own website (http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html) I tend to give it some credibility. I didn't just pull the number 500 out of thin air.

iBook
May 10, 2004, 10:49 PM
Acctually I read almost none of what I read, but when it's on the author's own website (http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html) I tend to give it some credibility. I didn't just pull the number 500 out of thin air.

From the Web site....

Due to the nature of emulation, PearPC is quite slow (the client will run about 500 times slower than the host). Note that only the CPU is that slow, the speed of the emulated hardware doesn't suffer that much from the emulation; e.g. the speed of simulated harddrive/CDROM is quite good, especially when using the busmaster interface. This situation is better if you can use the JITC (about 40 times slower) but still not ready for productive use.

7on
May 11, 2004, 02:17 AM
geat! I've always wanted to run an emulated OSX from within an emulated Widows running on OSX!

Darwin
May 11, 2004, 02:46 AM
This may be ideal for some, however I don't see Apple supporting this, maybe when Moto was in charge this could have been a sign for the new chip for the Mac but now with the G5 coming along I think we'll be sticking with IBM for awhile, sure there have been delays for faster chips from IBM but this is also the same for Intel

ITs going to be slow anyway so itsd not something to jump to

Apple Hobo
May 11, 2004, 07:29 AM
geat! I've always wanted to run an emulated OSX from within an emulated Widows running on OSX!

I've thought about doing something crazy like this. How far could it go? Triple, quadruple, quintuple emulation? Farther?

VPC on Mac
VPC on Mac running VPC for Windows
VPC on Mac running VPC for Windows running emulated OS X
VPC on Mac running VPC for Windows running emulated OS X running VPC

Emulate an emulation of an emulated emulator.

It could go on forever. It could be like holding a mirror up to another mirror and seeing the reflections reflect the reflections.

Never mind...I sense I've gone too far...

Thoughts like these are what separated me from the other children when I was in school. :D

blue&whiteman
May 11, 2004, 07:37 AM
I've thought about doing something crazy like this. How far could it go? Triple, quadruple, quintuple emulation? Farther?

VPC on Mac
VPC on Mac running VPC for Windows
VPC on Mac running VPC for Windows running emulated OS X
VPC on Mac running VPC for Windows running emulated OS X running VPC

Emulate an emulated emulator.

It could go on forever. It could be like holding a mirror up to another mirror and seeing the reflections reflect the reflections.

Never mind...I sense I've gone too far...

Thoughts like these are what separated me from the other children when I was in school. :D

just one os emulation is enough to bring even the fastest systems down to a slow level.

benixau
May 11, 2004, 08:25 AM
just one os emulation is enough to bring even the fastest systems down to a slow level.

wow

yours must go sooooo fast :D :D

blue&whiteman
May 11, 2004, 12:20 PM
wow

yours must go sooooo fast :D :D

I have seen virtual pc crawl even on a dual G5.

Sun Baked
May 11, 2004, 12:42 PM
AmigaOS 4.0 beta has finally gone Golden Master, this is the PPC version of the operating system designed for CHRP motherboards (aka PPC Platform & Linux PPCs).

If they get this out and keep moving forward, having another name brand consumer OS besides Mac OS X will put a bit more momentum to PPC machines.

Something that has been lacking since MicroSoft kill Windows NT for PPC, and Apple killed the clones.

kgarner
May 11, 2004, 01:00 PM

Only if you saw the new VPC 7 since earlier adn current versions will not run on a G5.

Horrortaxi
May 11, 2004, 03:41 PM
How'd you see VPC run on a G5?

blue&whiteman
May 11, 2004, 03:48 PM
How'd you see VPC run on a G5?

typo. I meant G4. dual G4

PaisanoMan
May 12, 2004, 03:58 AM
AmigaOS 4.0 beta has finally gone Golden Master, this is the PPC version of the operating system designed for CHRP motherboards (aka PPC Platform & Linux PPCs).

If they get this out and keep moving forward, having another name brand consumer OS besides Mac OS X will put a bit more momentum to PPC machines.

CHRP? Wow, it's been a while since I've heard that acronym (the better half of a decade). But you don't need a stinkin' emulator to run the Mac OS on PPC hardware; just use MOL (http://www.maconlinux.org/).