PDA

View Full Version : Revitalizing a Mac Plus

neoelectronaut
May 11, 2004, 11:39 PM
A friend of mine is trying to donate a Mac Plus to me.

Now obviously this computer isn't going to do much, but I was looking for a quick tutorial on wiping the HD and getting the optimum configuration out of the sucker.

PaisanoMan
May 12, 2004, 03:24 AM
A friend of mine is trying to donate a Mac Plus to me.

Now obviously this computer isn't going to do much, but I was looking for a quick tutorial on wiping the HD and getting the optimum configuration out of the sucker.

You'll probably want this (http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.0.x/), or something like it.

Spievy
May 12, 2004, 08:30 AM
You may also LOAD the MAC Plus with 4MB RAM to run os 7 :D

There should be a disk utility to wipe the HD before you install 7.0 in those install disks.

You may want to install os 6.0.8 in stead of 7 for a more ancient feel

wrldwzrd89
May 12, 2004, 08:40 AM
You may also LOAD the MAC Plus with 4MB RAM to run os 7 :D

There should be a disk utility to wipe the HD before you install 7.0 in those install disks.

You may want to install os 6.0.8 in stead of 7 for a more ancient feel
With the max RAM being as low as it is, I'd stick with System 6.0.8 - your performance with System 7 may not be acceptable. If you do decide to put System 7 on there, max out the RAM at 4MB - you'll need it!

&RU
May 12, 2004, 10:22 AM
There is usually some helpful info on old Macs over at:

www.lowendmac.com

Old Macs can still be put to good use, but software is a little harder to find. I have an old 5260 that I use for Quark 4.0 and it runs great.