PDA

View Full Version : Free 3.0 Upgrade for iPod Touch purchased AFTER WWDC?

PoitNarf
Jun 9, 2009, 03:17 PM
I just bought a Macbook Pro yesterday after the WWDC keynote and went with the free iPod Touch with my education discount. Since I purchased the iPod Touch after the 3.0 release announcement do you think that it will qualify for a free upgrade to 3.0 instead of the $9.99? I seem to recall a similar situation with iPod Touches purchased within a certain time frame of the 2.0 release but I can't remember for certain.

buxtone17
Jun 9, 2009, 03:26 PM
I just bought a Macbook Pro yesterday after the WWDC keynote and went with the free iPod Touch with my education discount. Since I purchased the iPod Touch after the 3.0 release announcement do you think that it will qualify for a free upgrade to 3.0 instead of the $9.99? I seem to recall a similar situation with iPod Touches purchased within a certain time frame of the 2.0 release but I can't remember for certain.

I wish I was still in school...

My 15" PowerBook is still running like a champ though (knock on wood)!

In regard to your question, I don't have any answer for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were still charged for the 3.0 update.

DHarrisDBS34
Jun 9, 2009, 03:28 PM
If you call and make a big deal about it I'm sure you could get them to do it for free. Not sure they'll ship with 3.0 though.

weitzner
Jun 9, 2009, 04:51 PM
I'm in the same boat. However, my friend's sister had ordered a MacBook a few days before WWDC and it took longer than it seemed it should have to ship. It turns out they held it until WWDC and then automatically upgraded it to a MacBook Pro and then cut the price. Perhaps the iPod touches will simply be held so they won't arrive before the 17th?

bndoarn
Jun 9, 2009, 04:52 PM
i don't think they will. i think 3.0 will ship with the 3rd gen. iPod Touches but you can call and ask

aethelbert
Jun 9, 2009, 04:53 PM
I would guess that the current model won't even ship with 3.0 as they went about it last year; it probably won't be preinstalled until new ones come out in September. If you whine/complain enough over the phone, though, they may credit you the fee if you get someone sympathetic to your cause on the line.

jhsfosho
Jun 9, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm right there with you too. I will be buying a new 13'' macbook pro and then getting the free ipod touch for the back to school promotion. It would be nice to get 3.0 for free. Then again I might wait until after it comes out to buy it. Its not like they will run out of ipods or macbook pros. And I am not in that big of a hurry to get it yet.

bjquach
Jun 9, 2009, 06:31 PM
Can;t you just download the 3.0 fw somewhere and manually restore it in iTunes with the fw?