PDA

View Full Version : my g4 runs at 80 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! celcius

Mord
May 12, 2004, 02:12 PM
one of my g4's in my dual g4 cube reports 80 degrees!!!!!! wouldent it blow up at this heat? the other one is at 40

I am wandering weather my heat sensor is just faulty is there any way a 7400 g4 would run at that tempreture?

cubist
May 12, 2004, 02:24 PM
Yes there is, and I hope you have a chassis fan - your system components are not going to last very long at that temperature.

Mord
May 12, 2004, 02:29 PM
here is a base fan and one prosessor is at 40 and one is at 80 but the system is 100% stable which is odd

michaelrjohnson
May 12, 2004, 02:42 PM
holy cow... that's HOT!

you might want to put a few fans on that thing!

otherwise, i am not aware on how to test the sensor to see if its working... maybe put it in a freezer and see if it goes down to zero?

(DO NOT DO THAT, IT'S A BAD IDEA)

JOD8FY
May 12, 2004, 03:02 PM
Sell your stove and put a few fans in that thing! When you need to cook, just take out the fans and there you go - boiling water!!! :D :D :D (almost - I know it boils at 100 C...)

JOD8FY

Sun Baked
May 12, 2004, 03:18 PM
holy cow... that's HOT!

you might want to put a few fans on that thing!

otherwise, i am not aware on how to test the sensor to see if its working... maybe put it in a freezer and see if it goes down to zero?

(DO NOT DO THAT, IT'S A BAD IDEA)Not really, most of the low power G4s Apple is using are 85C chips.

The fast suckers in the PowerMacs were 105C chips.

So with the stock heatsinks and fans it should be OK, unless you're living in a hot/humid area.

Mord
May 12, 2004, 04:22 PM
sun baked the tempretures you refer o are in farenhight mine are in celcius

i replaced the copper plate with better ones and now it is at 48-56 degrees which is still high but acceptible

Sun Baked
May 12, 2004, 04:28 PM
sun baked the tempretures you refer o are in farenhight mine are in celcius

i replaced the copper plate with better ones and now it is at 48-56 degrees which is still high but acceptibleI think I said C...

Read some of the specs for Motorola chips, they are either 85C or 105C.

The newest chips have a Tj (junction temp) of 85C.

http://e-www.motorola.com/files/32bit/doc/rel_qual_info/MC7447ARQI.pdf

Mord
May 12, 2004, 04:44 PM
C can stand for centigrade and celcius it is all very confusing the moto pdf is in faranhight

why can't we all just use Kelvin :(

I just ordered some srctic silver and will be getting proper copper plates soon (even my revised ones were bodge jobs)

Sun Baked
May 12, 2004, 04:53 PM
C can stand for centigrade and celcius it is all very confusing the moto pdf is in faranhight

why can't we all just use Kelvin :(You see specs in F

I see them like this... Tj = Junction Temp (Max) (C)

Which is on the PPC product page (http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=03C1TR04670871) spec though it limits the top speed -- as we saw between the iMac and the PowerMac.

superbovine
May 12, 2004, 04:56 PM
i think its funny how people expect processor to actually be cool when running.

Mord
May 12, 2004, 04:59 PM
did you read my post?

theres no way they could run that hot as useing a powerbook would be like haveing boiling water on your lap

KREX725
May 12, 2004, 05:12 PM
Speaking of heat, my mirror door G4 1.25 keeps freezing up (think OS9) lately. It happens at any time using any program or no program at all. I installed an ATI 9800 Pro about a month ago, but otherwise everything else is original.

We've had some warmer weather here and I'm starting to wonder if it's the heat because when it's cooler in the room, the computer is fine.

Is there an on board thermometer that I can use? How are you all figuring out the temps inside?

Mord
May 12, 2004, 05:25 PM
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/9999

d/l this and see what it reads

zarathustra
May 12, 2004, 06:00 PM

Fahrenheit. It's Fahrenheit.

Also the junction temperature might be higher than the temperature when you touch (would you want to do that with the heatsink on or off?) the processor?

KREX725
May 12, 2004, 09:42 PM
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/9999

d/l this and see what it reads

I can't get it to work. I found in the comments section that it doesn't support all G4 processors. I guess mine is one of those. I'll look around for another one though. Thanks for your help!

mpopkin
May 12, 2004, 09:59 PM
Do you have a specially made g4 cube, because apple does not make a standard Dual processor cube
but i would see something about it, it can mean two things
1) the heatsink failed and needs to be replaced
2) the G4 Core is aged and has overloaded
Replacement is about all i can think of
but good luck
try replacing the heatsink first

one of my g4's in my dual g4 cube reports 80 degrees!!!!!! wouldent it blow up at this heat? the other one is at 40

I am wandering weather my heat sensor is just faulty is there any way a 7400 g4 would run at that tempreture?

Coolvirus007
May 12, 2004, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of a dual proccessor cube as well.

KREX725
May 13, 2004, 01:41 AM
Speaking of heat, my mirror door G4 1.25 keeps freezing up (think OS9) lately. It happens at any time using any program or no program at all. I installed an ATI 9800 Pro about a month ago, but otherwise everything else is original.

We've had some warmer weather here and I'm starting to wonder if it's the heat because when it's cooler in the room, the computer is fine.

Is there an on board thermometer that I can use? How are you all figuring out the temps inside?

Well, I got fed up and just stuck a portable fan in front of the tower and tilted it so it would be blowing into the intake spots. Crazy as it sounds, my computer hasn't locked up in hours. Hopefully this isn't a "Lisa's anti-tiger rock" situation.

Mord
May 13, 2004, 01:49 AM
I did this but with copper: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/cube/dual_g4_cube/dual_g4_cube.html

JFreak
May 13, 2004, 02:00 AM
the silicon stuff they put between processor and heatsink might just have been dried for some reason, and it should be ok if you just put in new silicon. so take the heatsink off, brush the stuff away from both the heatsink and processor, apply new silicon on top of cpu and press the heatsink in place. be sure you have silicon everywhere between the cpu and the heatsink, but don't let it flow over onto the motherboard. and don't touch the silicon with your own skin.

superbovine
May 13, 2004, 02:23 AM
did you read my post?

theres no way they could run that hot as useing a powerbook would be like haveing boiling water on your lap

http://cubeowner.com/kbase/index.php?page=index_v2&id=58&c=29

you can look at the spec operating temps.
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=018rH3bTdG8653

steadyeddie
May 13, 2004, 08:38 AM

FYI, centigrade and Celsius are the same thing.

pjkelnhofer
May 13, 2004, 10:28 AM
So clearly, from the Motorola specs the 7447a is designed to be running at temps of 85 degrees Celsius. So what is the problem. Remember we are talking about the temperature of the processor itself not the temperature of the air around it or the temperature of the outside case (which is why you would not be burned by a laptop with a processor hot enough to boil water in it).

If the temperature of the air in the computer was 85 degrees Celsius. There would be more of a concern.

I think gist of this is that if your processor is running at these temps... all is well.

BTW, here is a good site (http://www.bartleby.com/64/C004/016.html) about why Centigrade and Celsius mean the same thing.

ps. How are people typing in the degree symbol?

paperkirin
May 13, 2004, 01:15 PM
ps. How are people typing in the degree symbol?
On Mac OS X, [alt]+[0], like so:
This is using a British keyboard, but on macs I'm not so sure that this is so hugely different to the North American one.

Mord
May 13, 2004, 02:33 PM
i got it under control it now runs at 28 degrees so i will be overclocking to 500MHz soon to test how well it runs.

I did it by puting some copper foil to jack up my contact plates becuse there was a hairline gap between the prosessor i will replace my crappy white paste with some arctic silver 5 when it arrived how much difference do you think that will make?

Mav451
May 13, 2004, 02:41 PM
the difference between "crappy white paste" and AS2/3 or in your case AS5...can be anywhere from 4-6C's to 10-12C's at LOAD! Hence the reason alot of PC guys swear by Arctic Silver for their CPUs.

Mord
May 13, 2004, 04:55 PM
excellent I may even get 550MHz out of it :)

Mord
May 14, 2004, 01:57 AM
Ive had my first ever KP i dont know weather this is just a coincidence or my g4 has gone bad but when it happened they were running at 24 degrees