Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
hey, so i have a 2.0 unibody macbook, and i have had it since november.. it had the washed out screen and slanted function keys, so the guy at the genius bar took one look, logged it and im getting a new screen and top case. i love the genius bar and apple support =]

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Maybe I'll head to the Apple Store this weekend. Although, I did just get a nice calibration tuned in where there's very little black washout...

Did they make any mention of replacing the panel with a newer model? (9CA5/8) I'd hate to send it in and get the same 9C89 panel back :mad:

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
they did not specify but since they noted it as an ununiformed screen, itll prob be a new panel because the old one. would probably have the same issue

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
like colors arent sharp and crisp. blacks werent black and the viewing amgles were horrible

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
When you say washed out, what do you mean by that?

It means he had a 9C89 or 9C8C panel, lol...

You can figure out which you have by going to your color profile, hitting "open profile" and goto field 13. It'll be 00009C__ or if you bought after May, 9CA_

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Please get back as to which sceen you get.

You may be a bit optimistic in assuming they'll give you a different type of panel.

As someone has pointed out earlier, Apple has a way of replacing parts with the exact same part number (I imagine they have a wide variety of parts)

having said that, My panel needs replacing for another reason (defect in the LCD) so I would like to have an idea about what i'm up against . I'd like to avoid getting something like what you had (which sounds rather unpleasant ) :D

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
sure ill keep in touch, if they replace it with the same screen and its defective then ill get it replaced again

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I knew this was going to happen. If enough people try this they will clamp down and say no for sure. (We learn this rule in first grade)

As a matter of fact, this forum reminds me of first grade a bit :D

But HELL it's worth a shot!! he he

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007

You can figure out which you have by going to your color profile, hitting "open profile" and goto field 13. It'll be 00009C__ or if you bought after May, 9CA_

There is no field 13. But then my screen is beautiful though I do hardware calibrate the screen. It would be too blue otherwise.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
There is no field 13. But then my screen is beautiful though I do hardware calibrate the screen. It would be too blue otherwise.

If you calibrated with something other than the built-in calibration tool there won't be a field 13.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

everlast77

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Sweden
Maybe I'll head to the Apple Store this weekend. Although, I did just get a nice calibration tuned in where there's very little black washout...

Did they make any mention of replacing the panel with a newer model? (9CA5/8) I'd hate to send it in and get the same 9C89 panel back :mad:

Hello,

you say that you just got a nice calibration tuned in on your computer.
would you like to share it here, or maybe send it to me by mail so I can try it out. Because my screen also looks really washed out.

//Everlast

Sareth

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009

My 9CA5 was bought mid April, manufactured week 12.

mathieuheartmac

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
So you just brought it in for no reason, and they are replacing it?

I know the screen looking washed out is sort of a reason, but it was like that when you bought it, 7 months ago- and you didn't ask for it to be replaced then...

What did they say about the slanted function keys? Do you also have the "loose" battery cover?

Also, Is it safe to assume all the first unibody macbooks have this washed out screen? I haven't looked at any in the store since I bought mine in October, so I have not compared the screens.

Just curious to see if it is still worth it to bring mine in to get these rev a issues fixed...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
It would be interesting to see if they will replace it with one of the newer panels (pre 13" MBP). If they do then maybe I would consider going in and talking to them, but I don't want to be without my MacBook just to have a slightly better screen installed.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Hello,

you say that you just got a nice calibration tuned in on your computer.
would you like to share it here, or maybe send it to me by mail so I can try it out. Because my screen also looks really washed out.

//Everlast

I'll upload a couple of them when I get home this evening. Mine are for 9C89. I think the one I like best is 1.8 gamma, and my 2nd is 2.2. The 2.2 doesn't have the color saturation that the 1.8 does simply because I made it in the Apple Calibration not SuperCal...

Drop me a PM if you get this prior to my sending the links just as a reminder for me!!

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
when i bought my macbook 7 months ago i had these issues but they wouldnt fix any because they said it was normal, and no battery cover issue

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I forget how you install these profiles. Little help? lol

Drag them to Hard Drive/Users/(Your Account)/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Then when you goto System Preferences-->Display-->Color, uncheck the box that says "Show Profiles for this display only"

The profiles may show up as SCM2.2 and SCM1.8, despite the file names, sorry about that!

5DollaFootlong

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2009
hey, so i have a 2.0 unibody macbook, and i have had it since november.. it had the washed out screen and slanted function keys, so the guy at the genius bar took one look, logged it and im getting a new screen and top case. i love the genius bar and apple support =]

i also have an early screen. how do i prove that my screen is "washed out" so apple can replace it. i mean the colors are blurry, but i don't have a comparison.

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
i showed the genius how the color black is horrible by using. plain black background and saying the color and brightness is uneven, also, he just did it, didnt take any convincing

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
i also have an early screen. how do i prove that my screen is "washed out" so apple can replace it. i mean the colors are blurry, but i don't have a comparison.

Put it next to one of the last Unibody Macbooks they have that's a newer build and be like "THERE! That's the washout!!"

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Drag them to Hard Drive/Users/(Your Account)/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Then when you goto System Preferences-->Display-->Color, uncheck the box that says "Show Profiles for this display only"

The profiles may show up as SCM2.2 and SCM1.8, despite the file names, sorry about that!

Thanks. The 1.8 is very good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.