PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook Insomnia

thecow
May 13, 2004, 07:47 PM
Ever since I got my LaCie 160 GB drive, my PowerBook will not stay asleep.
If the screen is closed, it will go to sleep for about a minute, than wake up for a few seconds, sleep for a minute, wake up etc. If I put it to sleep by pressing the power button and clicking sleep, it will go to sleep for about a minute and than wake up. If I let it sit for the time it says in the energy saver panel, it will just turn off the screen and not go to sleep. I have tried reformatting the HD but that didn't help. If I unplug the drive it will go to sleep. The firmware on the HD is up to date. Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem.

thecow
May 26, 2004, 08:39 PM
I just installed 10.3.4. and it still will not stay asleep. Does anyone know what i can do because this is really annoying.

7on
May 26, 2004, 10:15 PM
Have you tried unmounting the drive, but leaving it plugged in?

Coolvirus007
May 26, 2004, 10:39 PM
I have a pb 15" and 200 GB LaCie. When the comp goes to sleep, the drive goes to sleep as well.

FuzzyBallz
May 27, 2004, 12:18 AM
I have a pb 15" and 200 GB LaCie. When the comp goes to sleep, the drive goes to sleep as well.

Aah, lucky you.

thecow
May 27, 2004, 08:46 PM
Have you tried unmounting the drive, but leaving it plugged in?Yes. I've tried anything that I can think of. I even called LaCie and they didn't know.

JOD8FY
May 27, 2004, 09:17 PM
PowerBook Insomnia - very funny! :D:D:D

That's a strange problem. Did you give Appe a call? I don't think it's a problem with the PB, but they might know how to fix it.

WAIT! This might be it! Have you tried going into System Preferences and going to Energy Saver and then checked the box that says something like "put the hard disks to sleep when possible"???

Hope this cures the insomnia. (When did I become a doctor? :D )

Best Wishes,
JOD8FY

aplasticspork
May 27, 2004, 10:01 PM
if you're using the hard drive as the boot disk then thats the problem, thats what happened with my imac. otherwise try the energy saver thing and if it doesnt work you could try asking apple about it.

thecow
May 28, 2004, 05:26 AM
I did allow the hard disk to go to sleep when posable and it is not my boot drive. I guess I have to call apple but don't they charge for calls or did I just make that up?

superbovine
May 29, 2004, 03:06 PM
moooooooo,

don't forgot to tell your PB a nice bedtime story