Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stringtheorist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Can anyone confirm for me whether I need an audio interface to get sound into my Mac from a regular dynamic mic (SM58)? I've connected the mic to the 1/8 input using an adapter plug, set up Garageband to connect to the built-in line input, checked this in the Preferences, checked that the Mac's Sound menu is reading the correct devices, but I still see no signal at all on Garageband's level meters... none. I was under the impression I could record an audio signal directly without any outboard a/d conversion. :confused:

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
You should be able to. Have you clicked the red circle near the volume controls to arm the track?

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
The problem is that your mic has a low impedance and is sending a low level mic signal into a high impedance line level input. You will need a mic preamp of some sort, a mixer or an audio interface with a mic in.

stringtheorist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
The problem is that your mic has a low impedance and is sending a low level mic signal into a high impedance line level input. You will need a mic preamp of some sort, a mixer or an audio interface with a mic in.

OK, many thanks. (Glad to have that sorted.) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.