PDA

View Full Version : Recording newbie: Still confused (Garageband)

stringtheorist
Jun 11, 2009, 06:24 AM
Can anyone confirm for me whether I need an audio interface to get sound into my Mac from a regular dynamic mic (SM58)? I've connected the mic to the 1/8 input using an adapter plug, set up Garageband to connect to the built-in line input, checked this in the Preferences, checked that the Mac's Sound menu is reading the correct devices, but I still see no signal at all on Garageband's level meters... none. I was under the impression I could record an audio signal directly without any outboard a/d conversion. :confused:

sk8mash
Jun 11, 2009, 09:47 AM
You should be able to. Have you clicked the red circle near the volume controls to arm the track?

stringtheorist
Jun 11, 2009, 10:25 AM
Yes, the track is armed.

Jolly Jimmy
Jun 11, 2009, 10:57 AM
The problem is that your mic has a low impedance and is sending a low level mic signal into a high impedance line level input. You will need a mic preamp of some sort, a mixer or an audio interface with a mic in.

stringtheorist
Jun 11, 2009, 11:00 AM
The problem is that your mic has a low impedance and is sending a low level mic signal into a high impedance line level input. You will need a mic preamp of some sort, a mixer or an audio interface with a mic in.

OK, many thanks. (Glad to have that sorted.) :)