Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
A few questions, not sure where to put this so I put it here bc it has a little bit of everything. First of all, I'm questioning buying this PowerMac G3
http://www.macresq.com/store/detail.php?prodID=MR007604
It comes with some pretty descent stuff IMO. Ok here are my question:
----------------------
1. Would it be possible to run Mac OS X on it?
2. Would a regular PC keyboard (even USB PC keyboard) work on this Mac or any Mac for that matter?
3. Can you buy a brand new hard drive and upgrade it on this Mac or any Mac with any kind of hard drive? (or does it have to be a certain one)
4. Does any power cord work for that Mac/any Mac for that matter (like will the PC power cords work for a Mac)?
5. Do I have to buy a new monitor or will any monitor work with that Mac or any Mac for that matter (SVGA monitor)?
----------------------
Sorry you guys, I'm starting to get this though.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
slooksterPSV said:
A few questions, not sure where to put this so I put it here bc it has a little bit of everything. First of all, I'm questioning buying this PowerMac G3
http://www.macresq.com/store/detail.php?prodID=MR007604
It comes with some pretty descent stuff IMO. Ok here are my question:
----------------------
1. Would it be possible to run Mac OS X on it?
2. Would a regular PC keyboard (even USB PC keyboard) work on this Mac or any Mac for that matter?
3. Can you buy a brand new hard drive and upgrade it on this Mac or any Mac with any kind of hard drive? (or does it have to be a certain one)
4. Does any power cord work for that Mac/any Mac for that matter (like will the PC power cords work for a Mac)?
5. Do I have to buy a new monitor or will any monitor work with that Mac or any Mac for that matter (SVGA monitor)?
----------------------
Sorry you guys, I'm starting to get this though.
1. Yes you can, but you might not be able to run Panther on it (Jaguar definitely WILL run on that machine).
2. I don't know, and I wouldn't try. You'll miss Mac-specific keys like Option and Command if you do that.
3. Generally yes, but the PowerMac G5s are an exception since they use SATA hard drives, which won't work with other Macs.
4. I've never owned a tower Mac, so I have absolutely no idea. If you can get a picture of the back of this Mac to see if it uses a standard PC power adapter, then you could find out.
5. Yes - but you might need an adapter if the graphics card doesn't have the correct port for your monitor (if it turns out that you need one, it will either be a DVI-to-VGA or ADC-to-VGA, depending on the port(s) on the back from the graphics card).

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
slooksterPSV said:
Your signature says you have a 15" PB, why are you getting a G3 B&W then? I could see running it as a server, but why other than that? Oh and BTW thanx for the site, I've found tons of great sites, I've added that one to my faves too.

Well, you hit the nail on the head. Yes, I'll be running it as a server of sorts. It has been hard accessing my external hdd without it being hooked to my computer. Plus I have an extra 40 and 30 gig going to waste. eBay is where I'm getting my B&W. I've been seeing them for about $150.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
slooksterPSV said:
Your signature says you have a 15" PB, why are you getting a G3 B&W then? I could see running it as a server, but why other than that? Oh and BTW thanx for the site, I've found tons of great sites, I've added that one to my faves too.

B&W's are still quite viable machines especially when upgraded. mine sure doesn't hold me back. my mac is a pretty decent photoshop and illustrator machine.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
1.) Yes, but you'll want to add more RAM first. 10.2 is the last OS supported for that machine.

2.) No. The connection is different. The G3 uses an ADB connection, which looks like (but isn't) a ps/2. That computer doesn't have USB. If you add it with a PCI card you can use a USB keyboard, but you won't be able to use it to turn the computer on. A PC keyboard may work if you remap some of the keys. You'll want something that you can use as a command key.

3.) Yes, and you should. 4GB is not much. The OS alonw will take most of that.

4.) Yes.

5.) Old Macs don't use VGA, so you can't plug your monitor in without an adaptor. What you'll need is called DB-15 to VGA. Belkin sells one for about $50 but you can find no-name ones that work just fine on Ebay for $5.

Since this computer hasn't got USB, Firewire, or the modern Mac appointments I'd keep looking. Spend more and get a better computer. A blue and white G3 would be good, as was mentioned already. You can get them for under $200 and they're much better computers.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Horrortaxi said:
1.)2.) No. The connection is different. The G3 uses an ADB connection, which looks like (but isn't) a ps/2. That computer doesn't have USB. If you add it with a PCI card you can use a USB keyboard, but you won't be able to use it to turn the computer on. A PC keyboard may work if you remap some of the keys. You'll want something that you can use as a command key.

oh yeah, forgot about the power key on the older Apples being on the keyboard. I forget that everytime I go and turn on the beige G3 in the lab. I'm like "where's the powerbutton!" It's quite amusing.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Now that I think about it, I think there's a power button on the case of the beige G3s. Left side, near the bottom. My 7600 has one there, and I think they used the same case/chassis for the G3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.