PDA

View Full Version : G5 in PB

iEric
May 15, 2004, 11:25 AM
I'm wondering...Do I really need a G5 laptop? Because I'm not doing anything with graphics. All I do is type up papers, search the web and listen to music and sometimes I run VPC.
Would a G4 17" 1.50 Ghz w/ 128MB Video ram be good to last me 3/4 years?

kanker
May 15, 2004, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a 12" iBook would be plenty, IMHO.

mms
May 15, 2004, 12:49 PM
Unless you play games or some other graphics intensive things, I don't think you'll need to pay extra for the 128MB video card. I agree that the G4 iBook would work well, or if you want a PowerBook, Apple does have discounts on previous generation computers (which would still be more than adequate for your needs). However, I do think that if you plan to resell it after two or three years of use, a G5PB would hold its value better, but I'm not positive on that one.

iEric
May 15, 2004, 01:22 PM
well in addition for its use on the road, ferry, university, and bus - it will also be a desktop replacement. So i want to get something good.
Thats why if I do get the 128MB video card..at least it'd match with my DP MDD 1ghz?

I'm thinking of 512 MB of ram, but all the people at MR like to have 700+ MB

JOD8FY
May 15, 2004, 01:33 PM
If I were you, I'd go with the 15". It has all the same power as the 17", but is more portable. You'll be fine with either one.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

iEric
May 15, 2004, 02:12 PM
If I were you, I'd go with the 15". It has all the same power as the 17", but is more portable. You'll be fine with either one.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

thats what my sister was telling me to do. I'm probably gonna get that. Thanks :)

I really do not see the need for a G5 for myself. Like I really need Office to open up in .5 seconds :eek:

7on
May 15, 2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah, my 1 year old tibook (see sig) will be lasting me 3 more years (and I'm a viscom major). A 1.5Ghz of today will last you 4 years, if not more.

mklos
May 15, 2004, 05:33 PM
I'm wondering...Do I really need a G5 laptop? Because I'm not doing anything with graphics. All I do is type up papers, search the web and listen to music and sometimes I run VPC.

I hope you don't need a G5 PowerBook because you probably won't get one for a quite some time. I don't foresee Apple making a G5 PowerBook for quite a long time. Anyone who thinks differently is just really doing some wishful thinking. I think instead it will utilize some of these new Motorola processors that are almost as powerful, use far less power, and don't create as much heat. These new G4 Motorola processors look really good for Apple far into the future.

As far as your needs, both the iBook or the PowerBook would be more than enough power for your needs. If you want a fairly powerful laptop then I'd get the 17" or 15" PowerBook with the 1.5 GHz G4 processor in it with the 128 MB Graphics Card. You won't be disappointed.

Sun Baked
May 15, 2004, 05:43 PM
The G5 has double FP performance of the G4 -- not really but the FP performance is near the Integer performance on the G5, compared to half of it on the G4.

And the FSB is wheezing along and holding the G4 back, meaning the MHz increases are getting rather pointless on the G4.

The G4 wouldn't be bad if Freescale changed the FSB to Rapid I/O, added a another FP core, and bumped the address lines.

aswitcher
May 15, 2004, 05:58 PM

I think you would be better off with the faster harddisk (5400) than the graphics card, although given the price you might as well get both. The faster HDD effects almost all the performance issues you will see such as startup time, save times, music burning, swap file/VM access. 128 should improve things like screen spanning for the next few years, quartz developments, use of the occassional game etc

But if its screen realestate you are after the 17 is very nice.

zjrhens
May 15, 2004, 08:16 PM
Go for the 15" 1.5 GHz. I would probably get 1GB ram though and not worry to much about the graphics card. I have had a 17" and a 15". I loved the screen on the 17" but it just wasn't portable. If you think that it wont matter it does. I now have a 15" and wouldn't trade it for the world. When i do want a larger scree though I just plug it into my apple Lcd.

iEric
May 15, 2004, 08:33 PM
Go for the 15" 1.5 GHz. I would probably get 1GB ram though and not worry to much about the graphics card. I have had a 17" and a 15". I loved the screen on the 17" but it just wasn't portable. If you think that it wont matter it does. I now have a 15" and wouldn't trade it for the world. When i do want a larger scree though I just plug it into my apple Lcd.

Thanks everyone. I'll be getting a PB soon...I just have to sell my 12" and my PM (listed on Marketplace)

Now its time to decide for the 17" and the 15"....
I really do not know. I mean, it is a desktop replacement. But I do need to bring it in and out.
I jsut have to go to a store and see. I can't imagine it in my head.

but i'm so happy. I'll get it probably mid-June. I hope Jobs doesn't just suprise us with G5 PB at the end of june....cause then I'd be pissed.

aswitcher
May 15, 2004, 09:58 PM

Having had a 17 briefly :( I dont think its not portable. Dimension wise its 2 inches or so longer and a inch wider, which means you need a bigger bag. Its also 0.5 kg heavier -? 2.5/6 to 3.1 iirc. I dont see these relatively minor increases in dimension and weight making it no longer portable. Just get a decent bag, preferably a backpack to help your endurance and I think it should be fine. I will be using an STM Large Loop which has plenty of space and nice comformy shoulder straps. A message bag looks cool but I think after a while the single shoulder weight even with a 15" would be a bit heavy.
0.02c...which is like 0.014US ;)

invaLPsion
May 15, 2004, 10:14 PM
I think you would be better off with the faster harddisk (5400) than the graphics card, although given the price you might as well get both. The faster HDD effects almost all the performance issues you will see such as startup time, save times, music burning, swap file/VM access. 128 should improve things like screen spanning for the next few years, quartz developments, use of the occassional game etc

But if its screen realestate you are after the 17 is very nice.

A 5400 RPM hard drive offers a significat boost to application opening. 52% faster to be exact. (barefeats.com)

iEric
May 16, 2004, 12:39 AM
I've decided!!
I'm gonna get the 17" beceause its only like 175$ more and plus I dont have to miss my 19" LCD that I'll have to sell.
And also, I am upgrading the video memory because it would be better if I decide to keep this for more than 3 years. Which I probably will.
And theres no point to have a fast computer with a slow hard drive, so I'm gonna upgrade the HD too :)
Yay i'm so excited. This is my first NEW apple laptop. Calls for a celebration :p

Thank you all.

aswitcher
May 16, 2004, 12:45 AM
I've decided!!
I'm gonna get the 17" beceause its only like 175$ more and plus I dont have to miss my 19" LCD that I'll have to sell.
And also, I am upgrading the video memory because it would be better if I decide to keep this for more than 3 years. Which I probably will.
And theres no point to have a fast computer with a slow hard drive, so I'm gonna upgrade the HD too :)
Yay i'm so excited. This is my first NEW apple laptop. Calls for a celebration :p

Thank you all.

Best of luck with this.

Further words of advice.

> Get a screen protector so that oil from your hands on the keyboard and mouse pad sont damage your screen in transit. I have a radtech and its pretty fine - like a big glasses cloth.

> Get a decent well protected backpack sturdy enough for a 17 if you plan to walk allot with it.

> Consider getting a close fitting slip for your powerbook to keep dirt, dust and stuff out of your machines ports whilst its in the pack and to double up (if you get a stirdy one like Crumpelrs School Hymn) as a laptop thermal insulator if you end up typing on your knees from time to time.

iEric
May 16, 2004, 12:47 AM
Oh wow! Thanks for the advice. I'll surely get those since this PB is a big investment for me.

Any more suggestions for accessories?
Provide the links or brand/name if you can :)

iEric
May 16, 2004, 01:03 AM
I dont need a new bag since I have a really huge triple 5 soul bag and its pretty big. So mainly I'm seraching for sleeves and screen protectors
I found these 3 sleeves (I do not know if they are good or not, so if they aren't, pelase tell me):
Marware - SportFolio (http://www.marware.com/SFSleeves.html)
Spire USA Boot - Dash (http://www.spireusa.com/products/DA3.html)
Willow Design - Minimus Powerbook Sleeves (http://www.willowdesign.com/SLV-22.html)

The only screen protector I found was this one....anyone have it or tried it?
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=542&Title=PowerBook%20Accessories&Template=1

By the way...aswitcher and invaLPsion - how do YOU like ur new PB..any complaints?

aswitcher
May 16, 2004, 01:06 AM
Oh wow! Thanks for the advice. I'll surely get those since this PB is a big investment for me.

Any more suggestions for accessories?
Provide the links or brand/name if you can :)

www.standardtm.com.au

www.crumpler.com.au

www.radtech.us

SiliconAddict
May 16, 2004, 04:15 AM
Having had a 17 briefly :( I dont think its not portable. Dimension wise its 2 inches or so longer and a inch wider, which means you need a bigger bag. Its also 0.5 kg heavier -? 2.5/6 to 3.1 iirc. I dont see these relatively minor increases in dimension and weight making it no longer portable.

I think the 17" PowerBook is in a class that had all but died out. One that was around in the late 80's but seems to be making a small comeback. And that class would be the PC luggables. The 17" PowerBook IS portable. Hell a desktop is portable too. The question is is moving a desktop around realistic for a portable device. Ditto with the 17" PowerBook. It's designed to be taken from point A to B plopped down and will allow you to get the same amount of work done that a desktop would allow you to (within reason obviously.)

That appeals to me in a big way. I get my 17" screen wherever I go. Iíll get my fast processor wherever I go. But for me this all hinges on the G5. Sorry but from all the benchmarks Iíve seen and even playing with the current 17Ē 1.5Ghz G4 PowerBook the system is sorely in need of a massive overhaul both in terms of the system bus, CPU support, and available hard drives. (How about a 7200 RPM drive Apple?!?!?)

I think though for the average user the Power of the current gen 17" is pretty much good enough. I'm in the unique situation that there are some PC apps that I MUST have with me to do work. Specificly Access less specificly MapPoint. So I will need VPC which needs as much horsepower it can get its threads on. That and I plan on doing some amateur FCEing on it. The 17" PowerBook doesn't fit the bill for the specs I'm looking for.

Here's a quote from barefeats.com on specs:

4. Unless you are forced to edit in the field, the PowerBook G4 is a bad choice for a Final Cut Pro "editing station."
The G5/1.8MP Power Mac was over TWO TIMES FASTER than the 17" PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) running our FCP4 render tests!

Two times faster on a system only 300Mhz faster?!!?

I hope you don't need a G5 PowerBook because you probably won't get one for a quite some time. I don't foresee Apple making a G5 PowerBook for quite a long time. Anyone who thinks differently is just really doing some wishful thinking. I think instead it will utilize some of these new Motorola processors that are almost as powerful, use far less power, and don't create as much heat. These new G4 Motorola processors look really good for Apple far into the future.

Please. You nor anyone else on Macrumors has any idea what Apple has planned for the PowerBook nor any idea how long theyíve been working on a G5 PowerBook design. And yah that obviously includes me. You can't say one way or another about the G5 in the PowerBook. Frankly if Apple continues to use Moto they are going to be in the same boat they were in Pre-G5 with the PowerMac. They WILL be getting soundly thrashed by Intel's-90nm-2MB-cache Dothan-Pentium M chip. That and what will Apple do when Moto pulls another manufacturing fiasco like what reportedly occurred with the delay of last year's PowerBooks?!?
At least IBM has the legit reason of moving from the 130nm to 90nm process as an excuse for delays. What was Moto's other then incompetence? That company has screwed over Apple in so many ways they could give a cheap whore technique lessons.

aswitcher
May 16, 2004, 07:28 AM
I think the 17" PowerBook is in a class that had all but died out. One that was around in the late 80's but seems to be making a small comeback. And that class would be the PC luggables. The 17" PowerBook IS portable. Hell a desktop is portable too. The question is is moving a desktop around realistic for a portable device. Ditto with the 17" PowerBook. It's designed to be taken from point A to B plopped down and will allow you to get the same amount of work done that a desktop would allow you to (within reason obviously.)

That appeals to me in a big way. I get my 17" screen wherever I go. Iíll get my fast processor wherever I go.

Like I said, for a few inches and 20% more weight, you get a nice and still very portable machine.

But for me this all hinges on the G5. Sorry but from all the benchmarks Iíve seen and even playing with the current 17Ē 1.5Ghz G4 PowerBook the system is sorely in need of a massive overhaul both in terms of the system bus, CPU support, and available hard drives. (How about a 7200 RPM drive Apple?!?!?)

I think though for the average user the Power of the current gen 17" is pretty much good enough. I'm in the unique situation that there are some PC apps that I MUST have with me to do work. Specificly Access less specificly MapPoint. So I will need VPC which needs as much horsepower it can get its threads on. That and I plan on doing some amateur FCEing on it. The 17" PowerBook doesn't fit the bill for the specs I'm looking for.

Other benchmarks show the 1.5Ghz G4 and 1.6Ghz G5 pretty damn close for things I will be using, so no biggy...although I still will be pissed if within 2 months I see a similiar priced G5PB appear because of the future of G5 optomised apps.

Next PB I get will be a working G4 17" ! (I hope) :rolleyes:

thatwendigo
May 16, 2004, 07:48 AM
That appeals to me in a big way. I get my 17" screen wherever I go. Iíll get my fast processor wherever I go. But for me this all hinges on the G5. Sorry but from all the benchmarks Iíve seen and even playing with the current 17Ē 1.5Ghz G4 PowerBook the system is sorely in need of a massive overhaul both in terms of the system bus, CPU support, and available hard drives. (How about a 7200 RPM drive Apple?!?!?)

Power expenditure, as you well know, is a big deal. Unless those 7200 RPM drives are going to be heavily cached and thus not tapped as often, they're probably only a good idea on laptops that are intended to be wall-plugged "desktop replacement." I've never really gotten the idea of designing a laptop that you can't keep away from an outlet for hours on end. All of the things that you harp on are going to eat more power and produce more heat, and most will add more cost to the design.

Two times faster on a system only 300Mhz faster?!!?

Unless you are forced to edit in the field, the PowerBook G4 is a bad choice for a Final Cut Pro "editing station."
The G5/1.8MP Power Mac was over TWO TIMES FASTER than the 17" PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) running our FCP4 render tests!

Sure, that second, higher-clocked CPU had nothing to do with the results. It's all the 300mhz difference that did it... :rolleyes:

Please. You nor anyone else on Macrumors has any idea what Apple has planned for the PowerBook nor any idea how long theyíve been working on a G5 PowerBook design. And yah that obviously includes me. You can't say one way or another about the G5 in the PowerBook.

We can point at known facts and the principles of physics, though. It doesn't mean that Apple won't find a way around the issues, that they don't have a surprise up their sleeves, or even that they might be marketing a different chip as the G5-M or something like that... You're right that people on this board don't know for certain that there will or won't be a G5 PowerBook in the immediate future, but you're wrong that we can't speculate within reason about what the issues facing the design would be.

Frankly if Apple continues to use Moto they are going to be in the same boat they were in Pre-G5 with the PowerMac. They WILL be getting soundly thrashed by Intel's-90nm-2MB-cache Dothan-Pentium M chip. That and what will Apple do when Moto pulls another manufacturing fiasco like what reportedly occurred with the delay of last year's PowerBooks?!?

The whole industry is experiencing technical issues, and while the actions of the company formerly completely under the direction of Motorola seem to be inexcusable form the standpoint of mac consumers, it's not the same company anymore. FreeScale is aggressively moving after the PowerPC and they've already brought one new design to market (the e500 embedded processor), with plans for two more that are almost surely intended to more high-end applications.

At least IBM has the legit reason of moving from the 130nm to 90nm process as an excuse for delays. What was Moto's other then incompetence? That company has screwed over Apple in so many ways they could give a cheap whore technique lessons.

The legitimate reason in this case is hobbling by the Motorola parent corporation, which is no longer an issue. If FreeScale can move away from their past and put this new Crolles facility to work for them, then good things could come for Apple.

iEric
May 16, 2004, 10:22 AM
www.standardtm.com.au

www.crumpler.com.au

www.radtech.us

Wow! I absolutely love the stuff at radtech.us...its really nice. I think I'm gonna get the Wildeepz, Notebook ScreensavRz and the PowerSleevz.

Nice! Thank you so much!

I'll get all the stuff once I've actually sold my PM and my other PB.

iEric
May 16, 2004, 10:48 AM
Oh wait..if I get the Wildeepz, do I really need the Notebook ScreensavRz?

mklos
May 16, 2004, 02:21 PM
Please. You nor anyone else on Macrumors has any idea what Apple has planned for the PowerBook nor any idea how long theyíve been working on a G5 PowerBook design. And yah that obviously includes me. You can't say one way or another about the G5 in the PowerBook. Frankly if Apple continues to use Moto they are going to be in the same boat they were in Pre-G5 with the PowerMac. They WILL be getting soundly thrashed by Intel's-90nm-2MB-cache Dothan-Pentium M chip. That and what will Apple do when Moto pulls another manufacturing fiasco like what reportedly occurred with the delay of last year's PowerBooks?!?

First of all, I have every right in the world to speculate what I THINK Apple is going to do. These are just my opinions and you don't have to agree with them. Nobody said you did! These are forums in a rumor site so its if people aren't supposed to speculate what Apple's going to do then whats the whole point of the entire site(including the forums)! If you don't like it then leave! Plain and simple!

I still don't think Apple will introduce a G5 PowerBook. They even said that there will not be a G5 based PowerBook anytime soon, or in the near future. Do you remember how long it took Apple to put a G4 in a PowerBook when the G4 processor came out? It was at least 2 years. Apple has also stated that they will continue to use Motorola processors for some time to come as they have a very good relationship with Motorola. Sometimes people just don't make sense and they have wishful thinking (like a G5 in a PowerBook) and they make up all these reasons to have them, failing to see the point as to why its very difficult to put one in a laptop enclosure.

Parts of my answers are speculation and parts of them are based off from what higher level Apple employees say themselves. So a lot of my answers aren't the BS answer you like to think they are and others are just common sense answers.

thatwendigo
May 16, 2004, 02:58 PM
Do you remember how long it took Apple to put a G4 in a PowerBook when the G4 processor came out? It was at least 2 years.

PowerBook G4 - introduced 2001.01.09 at US$2,599 and $3,499
PowerMac G4 - G4/350 introduced 1999.10.13 at US$1,599

The span, according to Low End Mac, is one year, two months, and twenty-six days. If you were to assume the same timeframe for the G5, then we'd see one almost exactly on the August/September border. I don't think it will be that quick, but I suppose it might be possible if enough sacrifices are made.

For those without much of a sense of history:
PowerBook G4 (Rev A)
MPC7410 (4-5w peak) 400mhz on 100mhz FSB
128MB PC100 SO-DIMM
ATI Rage 128 Mobility 8MB
15.2" Active-TFT (1152x768 max)
10GB ATA66 4200RPM
2x DVD-ROM
USB 1.1 (2 ports)
FireWire (1 port)
IR Port
10/100 Ethernet
56k v.90 modem
PC Card slot
$2,599

PowerMac G4 (Rev D - "Five Slot")
Dual MPC7410 533mhz on 133mhz FSB
128MB PC133
nVidia GeForce 2MX 32MB (first AGP 4x)
no monitor
60GB ATA66
8/4/32x CD-RW
4 64-bit PCI slots
56k modem
FireWire (2 ports)
USB 1.1 (2 ports)
10/100/1000 Ethernet
Airport slot and antenna
$2,499

Higher clock, dual processors, higher FSB, higher optical and HD, more ports, better networking, and Airport, all while being cheaper than the portable... Doesn't bode well for the much-vaunted G5 portable, especialy since the G4 in that version was a mere 4-5 watts, as opposed to the 970fx's 25 watts.

BrianKonarsMac
May 16, 2004, 09:55 PM
thats what my sister was telling me to do. I'm probably gonna get that. Thanks :)

I really do not see the need for a G5 for myself. Like I really need Office to open up in .5 seconds :eek:this is exactly the problem with the G5...people think ooh 64 bits its twice the speed!! wrong!!! the G5 is a floating point monster, games, simulations, number crunching, etc. it's amazing. For anything like word processing and email, or just basic computing, you'll notice ZERO difference between a G5 and a G4. Trust me I use both.

SiliconAddict
May 17, 2004, 08:10 AM
First of all, I have every right in the world to speculate what I THINK Apple is going to do.

No problems with people speculating on what apple may do. Its when people come off as THIS IS IT! No G5's until next Summer or Spring or whenever. Its started to wear thin on the nerves.

cb911
May 17, 2004, 08:17 AM
about the screen protector... if you really want to spend money on a piece of cloth, go for it. (although if you get a good cloth you can also use it to clean your screen).

but when i had my TiBook i just stuck a piece of A4 paper in there, and it was fine.

now with the new AlPBs there's alot bigger gap between the keyboard and screen, i don't think you'll have any problems with that.

Abstract
May 17, 2004, 08:37 AM
Geez, you're spending/wasting so much money on stuff you don't really need, and this is after you buy a laptop that's superfluous for what you do. Got money to blow, do you? ;)

Just get some RAM, get the 64MB video card, get the 5400RPM HDD, and get a new backpack. Sorry, but Triple 5 Soul isn't exactly the type of backpack you should put your expensive PB in. In a good laptop backpack, the laptop sits in a pocket that doesn't touch the bottom of the bag. If you put your PB in your T5Soul backpack, then it'll bang against the floor when you put the bag down. I'm not saying that you need to have a laptop backpack to keep a laptop in, because you really don't "need" one. My friend uses his regular backpack, and his laptop is fine. But if you're willing to spend so much money to get the best and most expensive 17" PB, I'd get the stuff that's most useful first. You really don't need a screen protector. I don't have one, and its fine. Do you really want to buy a cloth?

My Oakley pouch/wipe works great. ;)

SiliconAddict
May 17, 2004, 08:43 AM
OK where to begin.

Power expenditure, as you well know, is a big deal. Unless those 7200 RPM drives are going to be heavily cached and thus not tapped as often, they're probably only a good idea on laptops that are intended to be wall-plugged "desktop replacement."

The drives have a number of advanced power management features. Our laptops at work have these drives in them (IBM T41's to be specific.) and we are still getting 3.5-4 hours out of the laptop.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20031031/images/image006.gif
Tom's hardware hard drive shootout (http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20031031/)

Unless you are forced to edit in the field, the PowerBook G4 is a bad choice for a Final Cut Pro "editing station."

Sure, that second, higher-clocked CPU had nothing to do with the results. It's all the 300mhz difference that did it... :rolleyes:

Sorry missed the Multiprocessor quote. But still. Compair the benchmarks:
http://www.barefeats.com/image05/fcp4r.gif

G5 1.8 937
G4 1.5 1236
G4 1.33 1268

If you extrapolate the numbers and the relative performance diff between the 1.33 and 1.5 G4 you can get an idea of where a 1.8GHZ G4 would take you. Unless they did some major changes adding 300MHz won't make that big of a diff. Also it should be noted that FC has been tweaked for the G5. The likelihood of Apple continuing to tweak their apps and OS for the G5 is pretty likely and in the future its a good bet the performance diff between the G4 and the G5 is going to be even greater as Apple standardizes on the G5.

We can point at known facts and the principles of physics, though. It doesn't mean that

What physics!?! This topic has been debated into the ground. There have been more then a few threads that have found that new 90nm G5 sub 2 GHz chips do not produce much, if any, more heat then current G4's, ditto with power consumption. Prior to IBM's move to the 90nm process yes a G5 PowerBook was not likely. But now? I bet it is. I won't speculate on the benchmarks of such a beast but the fact that the system but alone could be in the 400Mhz+ range vs the G4's 167Mhz system bus speaks to a likely performance increase.

The legitimate reason in this case is hobbling by the Motorola parent corporation, which is no longer an issue. If FreeScale can move away from their past and put this new Crolles facility to work for them, then good things could come for Apple.

I truly want to believe that. But the proof is in the product. Until Moto produces these new wonderful chips I don't believe it for a second. Moto has let down Apple time and again and has hurt Apple sales because of it, yes I'm aware the same could be said of IBM right now. Until they deliver the goods to Apple's door IMHO its pure vaporware.

thatwendigo
May 17, 2004, 09:07 AM
The drives have a number of advanced power management features. Our laptops at work have these drives in them (IBM T41's to be specific.) and we are still getting 3.5-4 hours out of the laptop.

Just read the article, and while I've seen allegations that 7200RPM drives actually provided a saving in power, the artcile doesn't back that up. They concede that there's a power loss, but don't ever say exactly how much. Instead, it reads like a cheerleading session for the power management of the Hitachi drive.

They're obviously faster, though.

I don't get what you are hinting at. 300 MHz would NOT account for benchmarks that are 2 times faster. Just as the leap from 1.33 to 1.5 doesn't dramatically increase the performance of the PowerBook. If anything what helps is the fact that FCP has been tweaked for the G5 another reason to have a G5 enabled PowerBook. Its a damn good bet that apple is going to continue to tweak their apps for the G5.

No, no, no... What I was saying was that the G5 being a dual-processor system, and that that's the reason for it being so incredibly higher performing. It's not just one, but two higher-clocked chips under the hood. That's what bolding the MP after the clockrate was intended to point out.

There have been more then a few threads that have found that new 90nm G5 sub 2 GHz chips do not produce much, if any, more heat then current G4's, ditto with power consumption.

Mind pointing me at one? Not that it will matter, since the G5 sub-2.0ghz chips really don't outperform the G4 by much, either.

Prior to IBM's move to the 90nm process yes a G5 PowerBook was not likely. But now? I bet it is. I won't speculate on the benchmarks of such a beast but the fact that the system but alone could be in the 400Mhz+ range vs the G4's 167Mhz system bus speaks to a likely performance increase.

:confused:

So the fact that the 1.6ghz at 800mhz FSB doesn't scream past the 1.5ghz G4 at 167mhz doesn't strike you as at all odd? People like to trot out the FSB argument a lot, but the numbers aren't exactly there to support it in most applications.

I truly want to believe that. But the proof is in the product. Until Moto produces these new wonderful chips I don't believe it for a second. Moto has let down Apple time and again and has hurt Apple sales because of it, yes I'm aware the same could be said of IBM right now. Until they deliver the goods to Apple's door IMHO its pure vaporware.

They're already on target. The e500 is shipping to embedded markets as we speak, billed as a solution for telecom and VoIP implementations. It's a totally new chip, unlike the e300 and e600, though the e600 is going to be massively modified.