PDA

View Full Version : Apple patents translucent windows

Diatribe
May 16, 2004, 03:46 AM
Don't know if this has been posted before, couldn't find it at least.

Found this on macnn.com:
Apple has recently filed a patent for translucent windows that automatically adjust the opacity as information is updated (or not updated): "overlaid, Information-bearing windows whose contents remain unchanged for a predetermined period of time become translucent. The translucency can be graduated so that, over time, if the window's contents remain unchanged, the window becomes more translucent. In addition to visual translucency, windows according to the present invention also have a manipulative translucent quality. Upon reaching a certain level of visual translucency, user input in the region of the window is interpreted as an operation on the underlying objects rather than the contents of the overlaying window."

US Patent... (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=20040090467.PGNR.&OS=dn/20040090467&RS=DN/20040090467?TjmKotMo)

Apple is on the move. :D If they keep patenting their entire UI what is M$ going to copy? They would actually have to invent something themselves... :eek:
Like Gates did with DOS :p
Seriously, I usually don't like patents on software, but I'm kind of ambiguos when it comes to Apple and everyone ripping them off.

virividox
May 16, 2004, 04:12 AM
yeah longhorn will be in trouble if everything apple is doing is patented

Macmaniac
May 16, 2004, 01:04 PM
Looks like Apple and M$ could have patent fights over Longhorn if they copy the translucency feature, of course by the time M$ gets Longhorn out the patent will expire.

JOD8FY
May 16, 2004, 01:23 PM
of course by the time M$ gets Longhorn out the patent will expire.

Very true, very true... :D . I'm glad to see that Apple is patenting their ideas. Now if they had only done that with the mouse... Punch cards anyone??? :D

JOD8FY

titaniumducky
May 16, 2004, 01:55 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before, couldn't find it at least.

Found this on macnn.com:

US Patent... (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=20040090467.PGNR.&OS=dn/20040090467&RS=DN/20040090467?TjmKotMo)

Apple is on the move. :D If they keep patenting their entire UI what is M$ going to copy? They would actually have to invent something themselves... :eek:
Like Gates did with DOS :p
Seriously, I usually don't like patents on software, but I'm kind of ambiguos when it comes to Apple and everyone ripping them off.

Sounds sweet! :D

Diatribe
May 16, 2004, 01:59 PM
Very true, very true... :D . I'm glad to see that Apple is patenting their ideas. Now if they had only done that with the mouse... Punch cards anyone??? :D

JOD8FY

To be fair here you gotta say that Jobs bought the mouse from xerox... But they invented the majority of their stuff themselves in contrast to M$ :D

baby duck monge
May 16, 2004, 02:14 PM
i like it (though it would be nice for them to have had some example screen shots :p )

anything that lets me see certain resources without them getting in the way of my work is a happy thing. and for those who like to keep all sorts of stuff open at once, but don't have a second monitor or anything, this should help minimize the clutter.

Ajmbc
May 16, 2004, 03:20 PM
The patent was filed in november of 2003- the drawings have a mac os 9 user interface- may make its way into tiger, may not.

Ajmbc

SiliconAddict
May 16, 2004, 03:56 PM
I have mixed feeling over this. On one hand I'm sick of Apple getting screwed over by MS in terms of copying their features. A few threads back I was defending MS's login screen as being the first to the market in terms of that "look" Diving further into the subject it was OS X 10.1 that came out with that look so it does look like MS copied Apple and its a forgone conclusion that this isn't the first time they did that at least in recent history. We all know about the original battle between MS and Apple.

However it works both ways. What if MS patented fast user switching? They had it first. Apple wouldn't have that feature right now. And that is the other end of the spectrum I'm feeling. Copying someone shouldn't be seen as a crime against humanity. It allows other OS's to adopt feature that in a litigious world would never make their way to that OS or if nothing else a company would most likely end up paying through the nose for a feature. Lets be real. If Apple had to pay MS to license fast user switching in all likelihood they would say screw that and we'd have never seen it.

I'm all for giving a company credit for a feature but not at the cost of stifling innovation. What if a company had a new and innovative method of using fast user switching but couldn't use it because they couldn't afford it?

No I don't think companies should be allowed to patent software techniques or if nothing else have a limited patent. Say 5 years?

Apparently Germany and I feel the same way:

Germany decides not to support the EC on software patents (http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1084553492.html)

"Under no circumstances do we want American procedures in Europe, Hucko vowed with regard to the US patent process. A patent must be "a fair reward for a bona fide invention and not abused as a strategy to bludgeon competitors."

maiki
May 17, 2004, 10:17 AM
Software patenting is a really iffy issue for myself as well. Amazon wanted to patent the cookie. That sounds ridiculous, since that is an extension of a series of protocols that are famous for being open and used by everyone.

In the EU case, they are trying to patent things like window bars and the buttons that close windows. In my mind, this is the same thing as translucent windows or quick user switching. While they are innovative, I have to weigh it against what I think a company's contribution to society is. Software companies like Apple and Microsoft and even XFree have an amazing ability to create a superior user experience with what is becoming, if not already, the most important tool humans have besides thier thumbs and brains. To protect the illusion of ownership is, in my opinion, poor taste.

Of course, I am a strong advocate in open source software, while at the same time not dependent on it as an income. With that said, I believe Apple could reach a better balance between profit and IP-theft. Also important to note, Apple is, first and foremost, a hardware company. Hardware is several times eaiser to protect, from an IP standpoint, than software. The more I think on it, I can appreciate the motives Apple has. I still disagree. ^_^

maiki