PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G3 Died! What Happened?

willmg
May 17, 2004, 10:25 AM
Hey all recently did a clean wipe of my 5 year old Lomard 400, so I could sell it on ebay. It had been giving me some sleep issues, but I seemed to have resolved them. After the wipe(zeroed the drive) I installed OS9 all the way up to 9.2.2 and it was working fine. Then I installed OSX since I had an extra copy of Jag thought it might help for resale. Everything seemed fine and the ocmp was working well, I even got my lucent wireless card working in X. Then I shut the comp down, and the enxt day it started up with a no system icon. Well shoot I figured no bigie, insert CD started it up, no HD found.......eventually I found the HD but I cant write to it or format it or install on it or get it to appear on the desktop. Any ideas? Is this prolly a dead logic board or interface problem? Anyone want a lombard for spare parts? Perfect screen, ram is fine(tested it) and casing except for the DVD drive.

7on
May 17, 2004, 11:09 AM
dead hdd? maybe you could try seeing if OSX will install on an external hdd connected to it?

dvdh
May 17, 2004, 11:32 AM
With the first generation imac G3s there was a firmware upgrade that was required before installing OSX. I am not sure the same was the case for the old G3 powerbooks, but it might be worth taking a look at the apple web ->http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117