PDA

View Full Version : Swappable Laptop Graphic Cards

srobert
May 17, 2004, 02:49 PM
Nvidia today rolled out its Mobile PCI Express Module (MXM) specification, a move it hopes will one day see notebook users swapping out old graphics chips for new ones as easily as desktops users do today.

>Link to whole article < (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/17/nvidia_mxm/)

I'm all for it! Lets hopes this becomes standard technology by the time I buy my next laptop (2-3 years) Lets also hope Apple support this effort.

Sun Baked
May 17, 2004, 03:00 PM
Would be nice to see them make it into the iMac and the eMac style systems.

srobert
May 17, 2004, 03:05 PM
Would be nice to see them make it into the iMac and the eMac style systems.

Have'nt htought about it but... YES!!! Pretty darned good idea. I would love it. Not sure if it's part of Apple's strategy to make those units upgradable tough.

virividox
May 17, 2004, 03:16 PM
i would love to increase the life of my laptop with video card upgrades; hd are doable, so is ram; why let a good case go to waste when all u really need is to bump up the video card hehe

michaelrjohnson
May 17, 2004, 03:30 PM
another great idea... unfortunately, i dont' think this will find it's way into apple's business plan. let's face it, apple is notorious for not enabling such user-customizable features in both the hardware and the OS. ah well, there's always hope!

krimson
May 17, 2004, 03:33 PM
but now that they have stores, they could in theory offer "apple supplied upgrades"... that would probably be quite pricey.. but im sure people would love to up their GPU's.. maybe a CPU or two.

SiliconAddict
May 17, 2004, 03:55 PM
>Link to whole article < (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/17/nvidia_mxm/)

I'm all for it! Lets hopes this becomes standard technology by the time I buy my next laptop (2-3 years) Lets also hope Apple support this effort.

You can already do this on a few Dell models and Alienware models. Actually I think this feature has been around for about a year now at least for some select PC laptops it has been

7on
May 17, 2004, 05:32 PM
However, if both Nvidia and ATI quit making standard soldered laptop cards I assume Apple would use these. It might be a little longer, but it will happen.

LethalWolfe
May 17, 2004, 06:17 PM
I wonder how making the gfx cards user accessible<sp?> will effect size, weight, and cooling of the laptops that use them.

Lethal