Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I think I'll stick with my $41 hamburger for a while longer.
icon_twisted.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Sounds like pretty expensive Sushi to me. $650 worth of caviar in an omlet? I think not Ritz crackers maybe :D :D

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Chip NoVaMac said:
10 oz of caviar? Not sure that anyone could eat that much in one sitting....
And that's not counting the six eggs and lobster. Sounds more like dinner for four than breakfast for one. Not that a $250 dinner composed primarily of eggs and caviar sounds like a great idea, either...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I wouldn't even pay $100 for an omelet. It is still just food, which is gone in 24 hours. It must be nice to have that kind of money.

As a side note on Wednesday on "Law & Order," they had a murder of a caviar king. All over a problem with price fixing of caviar! :eek:

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
wow, talk about a love for eating expensive unborn animals (fish, whatever)!! eggs with fish eggs...breakfast of champions!

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
virividox said:
its pretty insane, but i guess if you have that kind of money and the lack of sense to spend it that way then go for it.

Yeah you kind of wish that people who would consider ordering this get a $40 steak instead and give the remaining $960 to a food bank. It's still a good meal, better for their cholesterol, they get a tax break (if they get a receipt from the donation) and they can get the warm and fuzzies for helping out others. Sadly I don't think this will happen, but I'm glad no-one has decided to order it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Raid said:
Yeah you kind of wish that people who would consider ordering this get a $40 steak instead and give the remaining $960 to a food bank. It's still a good meal, better for their cholesterol, they get a tax break (if they get a receipt from the donation) and they can get the warm and fuzzies for helping out others. Sadly I don't think this will happen, but I'm glad no-one has decided to order it.

I agree, but is that keeping with the "I've got mine, now you get yours" attitude that prevails in the US right now?

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
Raid said:

Actually, far better that this person buys the $40 steak, then goes out and buys a computer or a lawnmower or puts a downpayment on a car, SUV, whatever. At least the money is going to help maintain and/or create jobs. Giving it to a food bank will only temporarily help some needy people out, some of who deserve a helping hand,and some of who take society for all it's worth.

Of course, buying a $1000 omlette, while stupid, helps out the resturant owner, the staff, the suppliers, etc. It helps keep them out of the unemployment line. So if someone wants that much caviar & lobster & eggs, go for it! Freedom is a grand thing!

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Exponent said:
Of course, buying a $1000 omlette, while stupid, helps out the resturant owner, the staff, the suppliers, etc. It helps keep them out of the unemployment line. So if someone wants that much caviar & lobster & eggs, go for it! Freedom is a grand thing!

Go trickle down economics!!!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Last evening on "The Late Show" with David Letterman, he had Emil Castilio the chef from Le Parker Meridien. He is the chef that made the $1,000 Omelet, which he said was actually a Fratada. The difference is in the way it's cook. It has 6 eggs instead of 4.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Vector said:
Go trickle down economics!!!

I think the same PR firm for the devil is the same firm that made us think 'trickle down economics' is really a good thing. :)

We did an economic evaluation in my Economic policy class once that examined trickle down economics. If the percentages hold up people below the poverty line would likely see about $0.50 from each omlette sold. :(

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Fritatta is an omlet that is started on the stovetop but finished under a broiler. It differs from an omlet in that an omlet is supposed to be served folded over to contain the ingredients, while a fritatta is served flat.

Personally I like my eggs runny, so I tend to favor the omlet, but my wife can't stand runny eggs, so I generally make more fritattas, as it's easier to cook the top more fully without charbroiling the bottom.

I can't imagine eating 10 ounces of caviar though. It seems like overkill to me. I prefer my caviar to be a garnish, not a meal in itself. Although an ounce of $65/ounce caviar would be one hell of a treat, espescially if it came with eggs and a lobster.... Definetly too heavy for breakfast though.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I don't care for runny eggs either. So I guess that my wife actually makes a Fritatta. Don't believe I've ever had any caviar, but the price certainly would be a stumbling block!

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
wdlove said:
Last evening on "The Late Show" with David Letterman, he had Emil Castilio the chef from Le Parker Meridien. He is the chef that made the $1,000 Omelet

That was some omelet. And to think that I was worried about shelling out $20 for a new iPod case, lol. Speaking of the show, I liked Charlie Sheen's story about the $900 mushroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.