PDA

View Full Version : $1000.00 omelet

virividox
May 17, 2004, 03:00 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/05/17/pricey.omelet.ap/index.html

Uhuh. right

johnnyjibbs
May 17, 2004, 03:19 PM
I heard Americans like to tip 20%. That means the waitor pockets a cool $200. :eek: :D

krimson
May 17, 2004, 03:31 PM
anyone that would order a $1000 omelet probably wouldn't have a problem dropping $200 for tip... :rolleyes:

personally, i tip 2x tax

pivo6
May 17, 2004, 03:34 PM
I like how the "budget" version only costs $100.00

ipacmm
May 17, 2004, 04:08 PM
only in New York

King Cobra
May 17, 2004, 04:28 PM
I think I'll stick with my $41 hamburger for a while longer. http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chip NoVaMac
May 17, 2004, 04:29 PM
I heard Americans like to tip 20%. That means the waitor pockets a cool $200. :eek: :D

What is the custom across the pond?

Sparky's
May 17, 2004, 04:30 PM
Sounds like pretty expensive Sushi to me. $650 worth of caviar in an omlet? I think not Ritz crackers maybe :D :D

Chip NoVaMac
May 17, 2004, 04:31 PM
10 oz of caviar? Not sure that anyone could eat that much in one sitting....

Makosuke
May 17, 2004, 04:49 PM
10 oz of caviar? Not sure that anyone could eat that much in one sitting....And that's not counting the six eggs and lobster. Sounds more like dinner for four than breakfast for one. Not that a $250 dinner composed primarily of eggs and caviar sounds like a great idea, either...

ThomasJefferson
May 17, 2004, 04:53 PM
Somehow, there is a way to blame this on the French.

wdlove
May 17, 2004, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't even pay $100 for an omelet. It is still just food, which is gone in 24 hours. It must be nice to have that kind of money.

As a side note on Wednesday on "Law & Order," they had a murder of a caviar king. All over a problem with price fixing of caviar! :eek:

virividox
May 18, 2004, 01:03 AM
its pretty insane, but i guess if you have that kind of money and the lack of sense to spend it that way then go for it.

BrianKonarsMac
May 18, 2004, 02:53 AM
wow, talk about a love for eating expensive unborn animals (fish, whatever)!! eggs with fish eggs...breakfast of champions!

Raid
May 18, 2004, 10:57 AM
its pretty insane, but i guess if you have that kind of money and the lack of sense to spend it that way then go for it.

Yeah you kind of wish that people who would consider ordering this get a $40 steak instead and give the remaining $960 to a food bank. It's still a good meal, better for their cholesterol, they get a tax break (if they get a receipt from the donation) and they can get the warm and fuzzies for helping out others. Sadly I don't think this will happen, but I'm glad no-one has decided to order it.

Chip NoVaMac
May 18, 2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah you kind of wish that people who would consider ordering this get a $40 steak instead and give the remaining $960 to a food bank. It's still a good meal, better for their cholesterol, they get a tax break (if they get a receipt from the donation) and they can get the warm and fuzzies for helping out others. Sadly I don't think this will happen, but I'm glad no-one has decided to order it.

I agree, but is that keeping with the "I've got mine, now you get yours" attitude that prevails in the US right now?

Exponent
May 18, 2004, 07:46 PM

Actually, far better that this person buys the $40 steak, then goes out and buys a computer or a lawnmower or puts a downpayment on a car, SUV, whatever. At least the money is going to help maintain and/or create jobs. Giving it to a food bank will only temporarily help some needy people out, some of who deserve a helping hand,and some of who take society for all it's worth.

Of course, buying a $1000 omlette, while stupid, helps out the resturant owner, the staff, the suppliers, etc. It helps keep them out of the unemployment line. So if someone wants that much caviar & lobster & eggs, go for it! Freedom is a grand thing!

Vector
May 18, 2004, 11:02 PM
Of course, buying a $1000 omlette, while stupid, helps out the resturant owner, the staff, the suppliers, etc. It helps keep them out of the unemployment line. So if someone wants that much caviar & lobster & eggs, go for it! Freedom is a grand thing!

Go trickle down economics!!!

Counterfit
May 19, 2004, 01:21 AM
Somehow, there is a way to blame this on the French. :D Go for it!

Actually, I would try that if it weren't for the caviar :)

wdlove
May 19, 2004, 11:39 AM
Last evening on "The Late Show" with David Letterman, he had Emil Castilio the chef from Le Parker Meridien. He is the chef that made the $1,000 Omelet, which he said was actually a Fratada. The difference is in the way it's cook. It has 6 eggs instead of 4.

Raid
May 19, 2004, 12:07 PM
Go trickle down economics!!!

I think the same PR firm for the devil is the same firm that made us think 'trickle down economics' is really a good thing. :)

We did an economic evaluation in my Economic policy class once that examined trickle down economics. If the percentages hold up people below the poverty line would likely see about $0.50 from each omlette sold. :(

mactastic
May 19, 2004, 12:23 PM
Fritatta is an omlet that is started on the stovetop but finished under a broiler. It differs from an omlet in that an omlet is supposed to be served folded over to contain the ingredients, while a fritatta is served flat.

Personally I like my eggs runny, so I tend to favor the omlet, but my wife can't stand runny eggs, so I generally make more fritattas, as it's easier to cook the top more fully without charbroiling the bottom.

I can't imagine eating 10 ounces of caviar though. It seems like overkill to me. I prefer my caviar to be a garnish, not a meal in itself. Although an ounce of $65/ounce caviar would be one hell of a treat, espescially if it came with eggs and a lobster.... Definetly too heavy for breakfast though.

wdlove
May 19, 2004, 09:09 PM
I don't care for runny eggs either. So I guess that my wife actually makes a Fritatta. Don't believe I've ever had any caviar, but the price certainly would be a stumbling block!

MacFan26
May 20, 2004, 04:18 AM
Last evening on "The Late Show" with David Letterman, he had Emil Castilio the chef from Le Parker Meridien. He is the chef that made the $1,000 Omelet

That was some omelet. And to think that I was worried about shelling out $20 for a new iPod case, lol. Speaking of the show, I liked Charlie Sheen's story about the $900 mushroom.