PDA

View Full Version : AT&T's U-verse iPhone Application Appears in App Store

MacRumors
Jun 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/18/atandts-u-verse-iphone-application-appears-in-app-store/)

AT&T Mobile Remote Access [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=312886438&mt=8), Free], a new iPhone application for controlling the DVR component of AT&T's U-verse communications and entertainment system, has appeared in the App Store. The new application offers a number of features for remotely searching guide information and scheduling the DVR component of the U-verse TV service.

DVR:
Edit your scheduled and recorded shows.

Guide:
Navigate through all your channels
Search for your favorite programs
Set recordings on your Total Home DVR
View other showtimes and even find out if your favorite actor is on another show, or
Advance the search by jumping to a future date and time (up to 2 weeks)

Shows:
Manage your favorite shows and see when the next episode is airing

Other:
Filter search by HD channels, new episodes only, favorites shows/channels and more

Rumors of a more full-featured U-verse iPhone app surfaced (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/09/16/atandt-working-on-iphone-u-verse-integration/) last September, with a report (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/23/more-details-on-next-generation-iphone-3g-netbook-due-this-summer/) from an AT&T insider earlier this year also detailing a forthcoming iPhone app to control U-verse's TV component. The released version, however, does not provide the ability to control DVR playback as the previous rumors suggested, instead focusing solely on searching and scheduling functions.

Article Link: AT&T's U-verse iPhone Application Appears in App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/18/atandts-u-verse-iphone-application-appears-in-app-store/)

bombboy
Jun 18, 2009, 10:56 AM
This is great, downloading now! I had the DVR website clipped on my springboard but it was very bare boned as it was a mobile page and not a web app so I barely used it, always resorted to going to a computer to program it. Let's see what they did here. :D

Edit: It's very very nice!

trunksu
Jun 18, 2009, 11:45 AM
This is great, downloading now! I had the DVR website clipped on my springboard but it was very bare boned as it was a mobile page and not a web app so I barely used it, always resorted to going to a computer to program it. Let's see what they did here. :D

/agree

it's way better than the web interface. Been waiting for this app for awhile. I don't really care for controlling actual playback since I rather just use the provided remote controller. :p

nickXedge
Jun 18, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm not at all familiar with this U-Verse service provided by AT&T. You have to have an AT&T DVR or something? This doesn't work with Cablevision does it?

devobail
Jun 18, 2009, 12:41 PM
Well its ABOUT D*MN TIME! Why is AT&T so slow to the game with obvious apps?

ClemTiger0408
Jun 18, 2009, 01:12 PM
I'm not at all familiar with this U-Verse service provided by AT&T. You have to have an AT&T DVR or something? This doesn't work with Cablevision does it?

U-verse is AT&T's attempt to go up against Verizon FiOS. It's not true cable television and it is not satellite. It is television over IP.

Thus, no, it will not work with Cablevision.

vrillusions
Jun 18, 2009, 01:27 PM

UVerse is AT&T's dsl-ish service where EVERYTHING (phone, internet, tv) is delivered over a high speed internet link. It's similar to FIOS but instead of fiber to the house it's fiber to the street (or wherever the box is). Then copper is run from the box to the house.

Everything, including your receiver, which can be a DVR, has an IP address and is internet enabled. Thus it can be programmed over the internet. Prior to this app you could go to a website and setup shows you want to record, manage recordings, etc. This is the native iphone app that does the same thing.

That will be sweet when/if you can use it to remote control the dvr playback. I sit kinda far away from the tv and it's hard to read the screen.

deboni
Jun 18, 2009, 02:16 PM
It would be nice if AT&T would listen to the pile of potential subscribers in my city and deploy their UVerse service here. I live in a neighborhood close to downtown, and can't get it. I've been asking for it for years, as an alternative to Comcast, but to no avail.

Yes, AT&T, I'm talking to YOU. If you feel you have too many customers, you've come up with a solid solution to the problem.

Tom in Oakland

TimothyB
Jun 18, 2009, 02:43 PM
My mom lives in the same condo complex as I do, same address, except for unit number. She installed U-Verse 4 months ago, with a 2 month wait before it was installed. Yet, ATT's website still shows the service is not available even at her address. So you might call if the online service shows not available in your area, as it may be wrong, even 4+ months out of date. Like where I am.

I'm tempted to try it out, but I can't build a plan online to see what it costs with the darn $10 HD fee, plus $7 each for the extra two tvs, etc.

kingtj
Jun 18, 2009, 02:49 PM
I just downloaded this and tried it. It saves my AT&T login and password ok, but keeps giving me XML parser errors and won't show any listings!

mikeinternet
Jun 18, 2009, 02:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It would be nice if AT&T would listen to the pile of potential subscribers in my city and deploy their UVerse service here. I live in a neighborhood close to downtown, and can't get it. I've been asking for it for years, as an alternative to Comcast, but to no avail.

Yes, AT&T, I'm talking to YOU. If you feel you have too many customers, you've come up with a solid solution to the problem.

Tom in Oakland

Works for us in Oakland. (near lake merritt) I would check with AT&T again as they are supposedly spreading it out.
That being said, we're not very happy with it.

algire79
Jun 18, 2009, 05:23 PM
I just downloaded this and tried it. It saves my AT&T login and password ok, but keeps giving me XML parser errors and won't show any listings!

im having the same issue,and its really slow.looks like they already need an update!:mad:

dohspc
Jun 18, 2009, 06:56 PM
Most definitely better than trying to use the yahoo web app on the iPhone. I wish they had the video streaming already oh well I'm sure it will come later.

oneals2focus
Jun 18, 2009, 07:14 PM
Well its ABOUT D*MN TIME! Why is AT&T so slow to the game with obvious apps?

I agree! I have been waiting on this for a while!

PharmD
Jun 18, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'll have to try this out. I just moved to California and signed up for U-verse.

dagger55
Jun 18, 2009, 07:34 PM
The UI could lose a lot of work. It does not have that elegant iphone feel to it

mikeinternet
Jun 18, 2009, 10:38 PM
Works great here. Otherwise u-verse isn't so hot though.

How about built in "sling-like" functionality AT&T?

PharmD
Jun 18, 2009, 11:01 PM
I keep getting error code 5. Fail.:(

soLoredd
Jun 19, 2009, 12:45 AM
I'm having a house built and have the option to get U-Verse. Those of you who have it currently, did you switch from DirecTV? Right now, I have AT&T for phone/DSL(which is fiber-to-the-node in my area) and DirecTV for satellite. I love DirecTV, the channels are great and the DVR works good.

Have you found U-Verse to be a good upgrade? Especially in the HD area? I refuse to do Comcast because of their crap HD lineup.

PhixionFilms
Jun 19, 2009, 12:47 AM
i heard some bad things about this one.

PharmD
Jun 19, 2009, 01:30 AM
I'm having a house built and have the option to get U-Verse. Those of you who have it currently, did you switch from DirecTV? Right now, I have AT&T for phone/DSL(which is fiber-to-the-node in my area) and DirecTV for satellite. I love DirecTV, the channels are great and the DVR works good.

Have you found U-Verse to be a good upgrade? Especially in the HD area? I refuse to do Comcast because of their crap HD lineup.

Coming from a great experience with FiOS in the East to U-verse in the West, I have been pleased for the few weeks I've had it. The picture quality is superb as are the channel offerings. I have 6 Mbps internet and the U-200 package which includes DVR for about $109/month.

oneals2focus
Jun 19, 2009, 02:48 AM

It's good, I have the U450 Double Pack witch is up to 360 channels including over 95 HD channels, HBO®, Cinemax®, the Sports Package, and the Movie Package. I pay $109 + DSL Elite - Up to 6.0 Mbps downstream witch is $35 + the HD Premium Tier witch includes 4 HD channels (Universal HD, MGM HD, Smithsonian HD and Palladia) witch is $5 and you get a 10 discount for the double pack. All together $139 a month. The HD picture quality is not the best but is good compared to the SD channels. And if you get U-Verse order it online so you get the bigger rebate!
:cool:

geekmommy4
Jun 19, 2009, 10:48 AM
I got errors using this app last night and early this morning. It's working now, though! This is great!

macabouttobe
Jun 19, 2009, 12:28 PM
I've had Uverse for about 4 months now. Love it. Switched from Charter cable where I was getting financially raked..

There is definitely a lag between their physical buildout and their database. My neighbors on both sides of me were having it installed so I naturally checked for availablity and it showed unavailable. I called their number and explained the situation. They said there are situations where there may be a home or two that are just too far from the fiber for the signal to reach, but they would check on availability. A week later it was confirmed it was available and I could place an order.

The automated emails I signed up for to tell me when Uverse was available probably 10 months ago just started arriving last month. So there is definitely a lag.. Going to download the app tonight on my wife's iphone.

vrillusions
Jul 14, 2009, 08:35 AM
Since first getting this app a lot of the channels don't show up in the guide. Tried logging out and back in, deleting the app and reinstalling it. Also I've gotten burned by it a couple times where I thought something was set to record and it really wasn't :/

Aside from that uverse itself is nice :)