PDA

View Full Version : New eMac - Dead on Arrival - Repair or Replace?

EXV
May 21, 2004, 12:14 AM
My eMac arrived a few days ago (purchased from the Apple Internet site) but was not opened until this evening. I powered it on for the first time and saw the Apple logo, but just as the logo appeared, I lightly bumped the desk and the eMac lost power. I was unable to power it back on.

I took the eMac to my local Apple Store a few minutes before they closed. They spent a few minutes with it and tried to reset it, but were unable to power it on. They offered to repair the new eMac (1-5 days) or I could contact Apple and arrange for it to be replaced.

Considering the fact that it lost power only after bumping the desk, I thought the problem might be something as minor as a loose cable. I don't mind the Apple store making the repair, but perhaps I should simply have it replaced.

Any opinions?

Thank you!

Sun Baked
May 21, 2004, 12:23 AM
Call and tell them it was DOA on first use, and even an Apple store was unable to get it running.

EXV
May 21, 2004, 12:45 AM
Call and tell them it was DOA on first use, and even an Apple store was unable to get it running.
Right - I plan to do that in the AM. However, should I take the store's offer to repair it or should I request a replacement?

Thanks again.

Jovian9
May 21, 2004, 12:52 AM
Replace it. Do not risk having a lemon.....which happens sometimes with computers, cars, tv's, etc.......I had a lemon (17" 1GHz PowerBook Alu) and it had several problems that needed fixed and eventually they replaced it after a month and a half of these problems (and them having it for a month and not being able to fix it d/t lack of parts).

Horrortaxi
May 21, 2004, 01:00 AM
How many threads on this do you need?