Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
so does everyone else already know that if you drag a folder (or CD) to a desktop printer, or the print monitor icon in the dock, it will print a list of the files! not in icon or folder view as in 9, but as a text list of the filenames and info.

forgive me if this is old news, but i just stumbled across it by accident and i'm pretty psyched, as i've been seriously missing the "print window" functionality.

Rogan Schlassa

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2004
Memphis Tennessee
sonofslim said:
so does everyone else already know that if you drag a folder (or CD) to a desktop printer, or the print monitor icon in the dock, it will print a list of the files! not in icon or folder view as in 9, but as a text list of the filenames and info.

forgive me if this is old news, but i just stumbled across it by accident and i'm pretty psyched, as i've been seriously missing the "print window" functionality.

Not shure how anyone would use it...xept mabe for like a recipt or something

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You can also select files, then Command-C to copy, open TextEdit or another text editing application and Command-V to paste the list into a document. This works the same as it did in Mac OS 9.x and earlier.

mws

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2004
Rogan Schlassa said:
Not shure how anyone would use it...xept mabe for like a recipt or something

That's exactly how I use it--I work for a publisher, and when we send a CD of files to a vendor, they want a hard copy listing of every file on the CD showing filename and date created. Print Window is especially helpful when printing a listing of the font files used in a certain document.

(Thanks very much for the tip, sonofslim--I was seriously frustrated that I would have to compare the contents two large CDs of files on screen instead of using printouts that I can place side by side and skim quickly without having to scroll.)

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
mws said:
That's exactly how I use it--I work for a publisher, and when we send a CD of files to a vendor, they want a hard copy listing of every file on the CD showing filename and date created.

precisely. i'm also in publishing, and do the file-list-with-CD all the time. that's why i was so excited when i found this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.