PDA

View Full Version : re: Hard Drive compatibility....newbie question

ajstaplegun
May 23, 2004, 02:56 AM
I am completely ignorant when it comes to hardware so would really appreciate some help...

I will finally be able to afford to shift from PC to Mac very shortly..So I was wondering if I will be able to put the hard drives in my current PC into a G4 ?...obviously I will format them but are the connections the same ? do I need special cables ?

specfically I want to put a

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 80 GB. 7,200rpm, 2048K cache, ATA-133, IDE, Fluid Bearing Hard Disk Drive

into a

Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanx.

Mord
May 23, 2004, 04:07 AM
yes you can it will work you could probably put your optical drive in there too and if you have a flashable ghraphics card you could pop it over with a bit of work

Dreadnought
May 23, 2004, 04:51 AM
With most hardware things that are in a Mac, they are standard, like the Ram, Harddisk, including connectors. Most of the time Apple is a bit before the rest of the industry to put a new standard in a new machine, so the pc world doesn't fully work with it. But with harddisks it's pretty standard.

Your Quicksilver has an ATA-66 mhz bus for the harddisk. You can connect the ATA-133 mhz Maxtor to this (if I am correct). Unfortunately, your harddrive can't be used to it's full potential, but you will probably see an increase in speed with transferring big files to your harddisk.

ajstaplegun
May 23, 2004, 07:06 AM
Thats fantastic news...many thanks guys!

Thought it would be odd if they weren't compatible..but had to check.......now I just have to wait for the damn thing to arrive :)