PDA

View Full Version : changing built-in memory for 12 inch powerbook

katok
May 23, 2004, 04:54 AM
Is it possible to change the built-in memory in a 12 inch powerbook?
It'd be nice if I could put in two 512 MB ram in their because it's cheaper than buying a gig of ram.

Dreadnought
May 23, 2004, 05:00 AM
You can, take a look at www.xlr8yourmac.com
They have a good forum about it with photo's and all!

edesignuk
May 23, 2004, 05:01 AM
If it's onboard memory (which I think it is), then it's probably part of the logic board, in which case, no, you can't.

edit: looks like I was wrong! :rolleyes:

Dreadnought
May 23, 2004, 05:03 AM
No, it's a dimm, a different one then the one you can replace yourself and it's soldered to the connector. You can also have it done. There where more threads about this.

Edit: looking in Mactracker, it also says it's onboard memory, I am doubting myself now... The iBooks all had a dimm that was soldered in its connector which could be replaced. But the PB 12"...

edesignuk
May 23, 2004, 05:05 AM
No, it's a dimm, a different one then the one you can replace yourself and it's soldered to the connector. You can also have it done. There where more threads about this.
So you can wave good bye to any warranty then huh!

Dreadnought
May 23, 2004, 05:07 AM
Yeah, do it after your warranty expires!! :D But there are also certified Apple repaircentres that do this for you.

JFreak
May 23, 2004, 05:09 AM
yes, it voids the warranty, but it's still a standard so-dimm and can be done. i'd suggest this only for the people who already have good experience in soldering more delicate pieces than standard analog components... ths pcb technology requires a soldering iron that doesn't heat the whole board at once ;)

katok
May 23, 2004, 05:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the information.
By the way, where can you find certified apple repare centers?
The mac retail stores?

Finiksa
May 24, 2004, 06:52 PM
If you're referring to the current 1.33GHz version, it uses memory chips soldered on to the logicboard not an actual SO-DIMM pics here. (http://www.kodawarisan.com/PowerBook/22.html) I'm not sure about the earlier revisions though.