1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

changing built-in memory for 12 inch powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by katok, May 23, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Is it possible to change the built-in memory in a 12 inch powerbook?
    It'd be nice if I could put in two 512 MB ram in their because it's cheaper than buying a gig of ram.

2. macrumors 68010

Dreadnought

You can, take a look at www.xlr8yourmac.com
    They have a good forum about it with photo's and all!

3. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If it's onboard memory (which I think it is), then it's probably part of the logic board, in which case, no, you can't.

edit: looks like I was wrong! :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68010

Dreadnought

No, it's a dimm, a different one then the one you can replace yourself and it's soldered to the connector. You can also have it done. There where more threads about this.

Edit: looking in Mactracker, it also says it's onboard memory, I am doubting myself now... The iBooks all had a dimm that was soldered in its connector which could be replaced. But the PB 12"...

5. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So you can wave good bye to any warranty then huh!

6. macrumors 68010

Dreadnought

Yeah, do it after your warranty expires!! :D But there are also certified Apple repaircentres that do this for you.

7. macrumors 68040

JFreak

yes, it voids the warranty, but it's still a standard so-dimm and can be done. i'd suggest this only for the people who already have good experience in soldering more delicate pieces than standard analog components... ths pcb technology requires a soldering iron that doesn't heat the whole board at once ;)

8. macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the information.
    By the way, where can you find certified apple repare centers?
    The mac retail stores?

9. macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

If you're referring to the current 1.33GHz version, it uses memory chips soldered on to the logicboard not an actual SO-DIMM pics here. I'm not sure about the earlier revisions though.