PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB with 60gig HDD. 8MB Cache?

hi_im_rob
May 25, 2004, 11:16 AM
I have a Rev C pwoerbook with a 60gig HDD in it and I was wondering if it had an 8mb cache, and also what RPM the drive is.

I suspect its a 4200rpm drive, but would like to know the cache size. I ask because I can get the new Seagate 5400rpm 40gig drive with 8mb cache for my notebook for free, and wondering if since I play a fair number of games whether or not it would speed things up. I know it'll help battery life a little. Thanks in advance for any help.

PS. My PB has the "TOSHIBA MK6025GAS" harddrive.

-Rob-

micvog
May 25, 2004, 06:09 PM
http://www.generalcomputer.com/catalogs/download/PRICELIST.pdf indicates it has a 8MB cache. I know it is 4200 RPM... I have the same HD in my PB.

7on
May 25, 2004, 06:29 PM
The extra RPM would drain the extra battery life if anything. Though reports are it's not much. like 10min or so. But exchanging hdds, does that void your warranty? I know it does on all the consumer machines but I don't know about the pro books.

tamara6
May 25, 2004, 09:14 PM
http://www.generalcomputer.com/catalogs/download/PRICELIST.pdf indicates it has a 8MB cache. I know it is 4200 RPM... I have the same HD in my PB.

This same list says that the TOSHIBA MK6025GAS is a 5400 rpm drive, which it is not supposed to be (I have it in my PB). So this price list might not be all that reliable. Does anyone have a link to other info anywhere?

It seems odd to me that Toshiba does not list this hard drive on their site. But, based on what *is* on their site suggests that the 6025GAS has an 8 MB buffer (the 4025GAS and 8025GAS both have 8 MB buffers). The GAS seems to mean 4200. GAX would mean 5400.

legion
May 25, 2004, 09:43 PM
The extra RPM would drain the extra battery life if anything. Though reports are it's not much. like 10min or so. But exchanging hdds, does that void your warranty? I know it does on all the consumer machines but I don't know about the pro books.

Yes, it voids the warranty on all Al PBs. (Titaniums were the last you could change hard drives)

legion
May 25, 2004, 09:43 PM
The GAS seems to mean 4200. GAX would mean 5400.

Yes. That is correct.

jackieonasses
May 25, 2004, 10:10 PM
Yes, it voids the warranty on all Al PBs. (Titaniums were the last you could change hard drives)

wait...you could change a ti's hard drive and still have applecare??

i dont belive it.

7on
May 25, 2004, 10:52 PM
Ah yes that what I was confused about.

I believe it's because the hdd is more accessible. Something like 2 screws and it's out on a Ti. Haven't read about the AL's yet.

hi_im_rob
May 25, 2004, 11:05 PM

Actually it helps battery life due to less duty cycles and more idle time. :)