PDA

View Full Version : How to fully utilize a 5-button mouse?

MegumiFX
May 26, 2004, 04:07 AM
Hi, I'm a proud new owner of a 1.5Ghz 15" PB and was playing around with its configurations to get it nice and comfortable to use. I hooked up an MS Wireless IntelliMouse, and the two buttons and scroll button work just fine... but I can't seem to get the two side-buttons to work (the ones that you typically use as a "back" & "forward" function while browsing the net). Is there ANY way to get these two side buttons to work? or will I have to simply go back to manually clicking on "back" and "forward" on the browser window?

Any help will be most GREATLY appreciated!

mcadam
May 26, 2004, 04:45 AM
I have a logitech mouse which worked like yours untill I installed the "logitech control center" (cd came with the mouse) which gets its own icon in the system preferences where you can set whatever functions you want for each of the buttons...I guess there would be something similar for yours...

btw clicking on the scrollwheel I've set to "advanced click" which is necessary for a lot of programs...try clicking on a link in safari with that...

F/reW/re
May 26, 2004, 04:50 AM
I use mousebutton 3 and 4 to trigg expose. It's the best :D

mcadam
May 26, 2004, 05:42 AM
I use mousebutton 3 and 4 to trigg expose. It's the best :D

nice one, how do you do that?

JFreak
May 26, 2004, 05:42 AM
one button is enough, really.

Veldek
May 26, 2004, 05:56 AM
You can download the required software on Microsoft’s website. To use them with Exposé you can just go to the Exposé panel in System Preferences.

wide
May 26, 2004, 09:24 AM
Use the other buttons on your IntelliMouse to go back or forward in Safari or MSIE. It makes internet browsing a hell of a lot easier.

TBR
May 26, 2004, 10:02 AM
Well I have a logitech mx700 with 8 buttons and they are all really useful.

I have

left click
right click
close window
quit program
send to trash
empty trash
open applications folder
expose all windows show

So useful

Tomaz
May 26, 2004, 10:05 AM
When you guys talk about wireless mice, do you mean through airport, or through the USB adapter provided with the mouse. I've been thinking about buying a wireless mouse, but they are always shipped with these USB adapters, so I don't know which models actually support Osx and Airport. Could someone who has a working model (airport, free configuration of buttons) post their exact model and a brief review of their experience?
Thanks a lot

Sorry, I'm not trying to "hyjack" this thread ;-)

dex22
May 26, 2004, 10:19 AM
Why would you want more buttons than you have fingers on one hand? 8 buttons? That's not a mouse, that's a blimmin keyboard on wheels!

256K is enough! Gates said so!

grapes911
May 26, 2004, 10:21 AM

I hate when people don't change. Even apple could use another button or two.

TBR
May 26, 2004, 10:24 AM
Why would you want more buttons than you have fingers on one hand? 8 buttons? That's not a mouse, that's a blimmin keyboard on wheels!

256K is enough! Gates said so!

I love this mouse, can be a little unaccurate when using photoshop though
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006HZ0L.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

grapes911
May 26, 2004, 12:06 PM

I have the same mouse. Its not as nice to use in mac as it is linux or windows. I feel for "the most accurate mouse ever" (I forget which review said that) it is a little shaky in os x. It is amazing everywhere else.

Tomaz
May 26, 2004, 12:08 PM
I have the same mouse. Its not as nice to use in mac as it is linux or windows. I feel for "the most accurate mouse ever" (I forget which review said that) it is a little shaky in os x. It is amazing everywhere else.

Does this mouse support airport or do you have to use the USB-stick ???

ebow
May 26, 2004, 12:12 PM

Is that a rechargable mouse? I have the M$ Wireless Intellipoint Explorer Whatever mouse, and I need to replace batteries every 45-55 days (yes, I've counted). I really wish I had a rechargable one, but I'll keep using mine until it doesn't work anymore (though I've heard M$ has a great replacement policy), or until I sell the thing.

Anyway, to MegumiFX, you'll want to do what Veldek says and get the supporting software from the Microsoft site. Then you'll be able to tell each button what to do. You can also find it through VersionTracker.com here (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14205). Note there have been a number of complaints about the latest version. I'm still using version 1.x (or maybe it's 3.x) just fine under Panther, so if you want the installer for that, send me a private message.

To nearly everyone else, (s)he knows what kinds of things he wants to do with the buttons, but he needs the software first. Doesn't anyone read?

grapes911
May 26, 2004, 12:16 PM
Does this mouse support airport or do you have to use the USB-stick ???

I don't have an airport, so I don't know.

Oh, I forgot, there is a new version of it, the mx900 I think that is is bluetooth. I don't know if it works with other bluetooth receivers, but isn't that the point of bluetooth.

grapes911
May 26, 2004, 12:19 PM
Is that a rechargable mouse? I have the M$ Wireless Intellipoint Explorer Whatever mouse, and I need to replace batteries every 45-55 days (yes, I've counted). I really wish I had a rechargable one, but I'll keep using mine until it doesn't work anymore (though I've heard M$ has a great replacement policy), or until I sell the thing.

This is a recharable mouse, and you really have to charge it every night (espically if you use it for games). I have a standard 3-button logetch that I have in my desk just in case I forget to charge it and it dies.

My roomate has a MS Wireless Intellipoint mouse and he gets about 5-6 months before changing the batteries. He says he used the batteries that are designed for digital cameras though.

blue&whiteman
May 26, 2004, 12:25 PM
I myself use the logitech marble mouse optical trackball. very accurate movement and I really like the scroll buttons over a wheel. you just have to click and hold to scroll. after a good trackball you will never go back to normal mice. all buttons are customizable.

DeusOmnis
May 26, 2004, 12:25 PM
Okay, I'm actually going to try to answer your question =P

I have the same exact mouse. In the preferences (you downloaded the microsoft mouse drivers, right?) you can set a KEYSTROKE to each button. So for the forward button you can set cmd-], and for back you can set cmd[, or whatever the real commands happen to be.

In fact, you can also set those buttons for JUST SAFARI, which is rather nice since you might want your buttons to do different things for each program.

As a hint for games, your games wont understand what those buttons are. So what you do is you set the side buttons (and center click) to be keys on your keyboard like I, O, P, etc, ones that you DONT use for your game normally. Then what you do is in the controls for your game, you can pick those keys to do whatever you wanted your mouse to do.

For instance, in Medal of Honor: Spearhead, I have I and O set for lean left and lean right in the game. In the microsoft mouse preferences I have the forward and back keys set for I and O. Now I can lean with my side buttons! I also have the center click set to R so i can reload with that button. =)

There's alot you can do with 5 buttons, and when logitech makes mac drivers for their MX 900 mouse, I'm going to be getting that so i can have 9!! =D

DeusOmnis
May 26, 2004, 12:26 PM
BTW, allow private messages. I was going to PM you cause there were so many silly responses to your post, but i think you have that option shut off. I hope you get to read it =)

JFreak
May 26, 2004, 12:36 PM
those mouse-like device pictures are ugly. and who wants to concentrate into what functions does the mouse have anyway? at least i tend to concentrate into what functionality the operation system / the app has and wouldn't want to think what button to press...

ebow
May 26, 2004, 01:21 PM
those mouse-like device pictures are ugly. and who wants to concentrate into what functions does the mouse have anyway? at least i tend to concentrate into what functionality the operation system / the app has and wouldn't want to think what button to press...

Hmm, so the solution for you is what you're already doing: using a one-button mouse. Some people find the extra functionality of multi-button mice very effortless to use, once they get past a small familiarity curve. To each his or her own, eh?

Chaszmyr
May 26, 2004, 01:46 PM
I had the same problem once... after uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers about a dozen times it miraculously worked again

nmk
May 26, 2004, 02:28 PM

You should try using the Logitech mouse before you dismiss it. I first thought that eight buttons would be overkill, but once I used the mouse I found that they enhanced my computing experiance. All buttons are eacy to reach. Each button can be completely customized to your needs. It saves a lot of clicking on the screen, keyboard shortcuts, and other time consuming activities. However, If you are going to stubbornly decide that one button is enough just becuase Steve Jobs thinks so, thats a seperate matter.

digitalField
May 26, 2004, 03:15 PM
There is some shareware software out called USB Overdrive. Its an amazing piecer of softward. lets your assign virtually anything to any button.

works with ANY usb mouse.
hands down the best.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/4701

MegumiFX
May 27, 2004, 03:45 AM
Much thanks to all those who replied! I went over to Microsoft's site and d/led the driver, and the side buttons are working like a charm now :)

johnnyjibbs
May 27, 2004, 04:25 AM
When you guys talk about wireless mice, do you mean through airport, or through the USB adapter provided with the mouse. I've been thinking about buying a wireless mouse, but they are always shipped with these USB adapters, so I don't know which models actually support Osx and Airport. Could someone who has a working model (airport, free configuration of buttons) post their exact model and a brief review of their experience?
No mouse uses AirPort - that's used for networking. The best wireless mice use Bluetooth, which will require a USB bluetooth device if you don't have it built in to your computer (You have bluetooth built in on any Aluminium PowerBook G4 or any new Mac BTO with the internal bluetooth module).

Some wireless mice use radio waves via a small USB adaptor - what you are no doubt referring to - but this is not compatible with AirPort. I'm not sure what protocol the mice mentioned here use, but I know that Microsoft and Logitech do make a Bluetooth mouse, just like Apple does (1 button though).

JFreak
May 27, 2004, 04:25 AM
If you are going to stubbornly decide that one button is enough just becuase Steve Jobs thinks so, thats a seperate matter.

i don't care what steve jobs thinks, but I MYSELF find one button being enough. and i'm glad apple thinks so also, because sticking to one button forces them to make better interfaces.

johnnyjibbs
May 27, 2004, 04:28 AM
i don't care what steve jobs thinks, but I MYSELF find one button being enough. and i'm glad apple thinks so also, because sticking to one button forces them to make better interfaces.
I think a 2 button mouse with scroll wheel is great - then things start to get too comploicated IMO. However, I DO actually have the Apple Bluetooth wireless mouse and I think it works great :)

I have a graphics tablet with 2 button mouse too but I haven't bothered to plug it in for 2 weeks...

ingenious
May 27, 2004, 07:36 PM

I agree. I love my 5 button mouse on my PC, but on my PB, it just seems unecessary. I love the one button mouse.

Wyrm
May 27, 2004, 07:56 PM

AIIIEEEEEEEE :eek:

Go back to the shadows!!!!

-Wyrm

Wyrm
May 27, 2004, 08:02 PM

I think Steve Jobs agrees with you.

Can use OS X with one mouse button = TRUE.
Can use OS X with 2+ mouse buttons = TRUE

Can use Windows with one mouse button = Uhhhhh, clickity clickity clickity right, left, right, left.... so is the one mouse button the left one or the right one? :confused:

There you have it, OS X is mouse button scalable from 1.

-Wyrm

Anna
May 27, 2004, 08:23 PM
I have exactly the same one as you do, install the software provided, then go into control panels and click on intellimouse option and you can program it from there

Wyrm
May 27, 2004, 08:26 PM
I think a 2 button mouse with scroll wheel is great - then things start to get too comploicated IMO. However, I DO actually have the Apple Bluetooth wireless mouse and I think it works great :)

I think you have a good point, I would absolutely MISS the scroll wheel the most over the second button. That, I think Apple is missing out on (even though they have some weird patent for a scrolly thingy - none of their mice have it). I mean how many times do you empty the garbage, eject a device, set file info junk, or close a konfabulator app, etc?

I'd have to disagree with you on the Bluetooh mouse, which I also bought... mainly because it doesn't have a scroll wheel doohickey. I've gone back to a USB Microsoft Intellimouse... aiiieeeeee

-Wyrm

aswitcher
May 27, 2004, 09:32 PM
I really hope that Apple use the Pro line excuse to break with tradition and bring out a cool Pro Apple Mouse with multiple OSX fully configurable buttons, a scroll wheel/touch pad, a BT wireless build, and on/off switch. I month to go to WWDC

Wyrm
May 27, 2004, 10:52 PM
I really hope that Apple use the Pro line excuse to break with tradition and bring out a cool Pro Apple Mouse with multiple OSX fully configurable buttons, a scroll wheel/touch pad, a BT wireless build, and on/off switch. I month to go to WWDC

Oooohhhh. :o
Exactly! "think different" Apple... having one mouse button since the Mac 1 rev A sounds more like thinking about the same.

-Wyrm

Krizoitz
May 28, 2004, 12:25 AM
Argh! There is no reason for Apple to come out with a "pro" mouse. Just about anyone I know who gets a mac goes out and buys a new mouse. Why? Because there are sooo many choices and they all want something different.
2 button? 3 button? 12 button (ok not really)? Cordless? Optical? Trackball?

The only reason I can see for Apple coming out with something other than the basic one-button that you need to run a mac would be if they had something to improve upon the mice already out there. Until that happens, why should they waste money and resources and time? Its not like we are lacking in good third party mice.

Wyrm
May 28, 2004, 01:26 AM
why should they waste money and resources and time? Its not like we are lacking in good third party mice.

True, but Apple does it with Style! :D

JFreak
May 28, 2004, 02:10 AM
"think different" Apple... having one mouse button since the Mac 1 rev A sounds more like thinking about the same.

when everyone else seems to think about how they can change their mice even more uglier, isn't it thinking different when apple seems to think how it can keep its mouse design simple and beautiful?

luke_s
May 28, 2004, 05:06 AM
i got a mickeysoft intellimouse optical, and when i configure the buttons with the intellipoint tool something funny happens. i assigned internet back/forward to button 3/4 and each time i hit the buttons in safari, safari takes me to some random page i visited in the past. this is a very nice feature, but it has a minor glitch.... you can't turn it off. has anyone had the same prob?

annk
May 28, 2004, 06:49 AM
Way back in this thread, someone asked if you had to use the USB-adaptor-plug-thingy, or if you could just disregard that piece of equipment and use the bluetooth mouse with the built-in bluetooth in the computer. I still wonder about that. There's a good BT mouse on sale here, but I see the suspicious USB thing in the package, and don't want to have to take up a USB outlet with mouse droppings :D .

So - can I just leave the USB thing in the package, and use the mouse with my built-in bluetooth?

Wyrm
May 28, 2004, 10:27 PM
when everyone else seems to think about how they can change their mice even more uglier, isn't it thinking different when apple seems to think how it can keep its mouse design simple and beautiful?

Simple, yes, beautiful, sure, less useful, yep.

Not that I'm up in arms against Apple, but given the choice of an Apple 1-button simple mouse, or a mouse with a scroll wheel... I'll take the wheelie! :cool:

I'd hope Apple would address this, but since there are alternatives it's not high on my wish list... and probably not on Apple's either.

-Wyrm