PDA

View Full Version : Problems with .Mac desktop Mail

darraghsmyth
May 26, 2004, 12:06 PM
Hi,

I recently signed up for .Mac and successfully configured Mail to send/receive from my @mac.com email address.

However, several times a day, I get a pop-up indicating that the .Mac server did not recognise my username/password when it automatically goes to check for new messages.

It's not clear why this error is happening. The .Mac support online tells me the following:

This error message means that the mail server is not recognizing either your user name or password correctly. To resolve this issue, try retyping your user name and password in your mail client's account preferences. The location of these varies according to your mail application, so it is best to consult the help menu if you are not sure where to find the username and password fields.

If you are sure you typed them in correctly, try going to the .Mac homepage and logging in there - this will verify that the username and password are correct. If this does not work, try resetting your password through the website, then reconfigure your mail application username and password settings again.

This is pretty much saying they have a bug in their system. My username/password don't change during the day. Why should have to go to the webmail version to "confirm" my identity? (this does appear to work sometimes).

Any one else have this problem and found an easy solution that doesn't involve changing my password 3 times/day?

darragh

Flowbee
May 26, 2004, 12:19 PM
I get this once in a while, too. I think it might be a problem of temporarily not being able to connect to the server. Usually I just cancel the password prompt, and by the time Mail checks again for new messages (15 minutes later), the problem's been cleared up. There's no need to keep entering your password.

wrldwzrd89
May 26, 2004, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I recently signed up for .Mac and successfully configured Mail to send/receive from my @mac.com email address.

However, several times a day, I get a pop-up indicating that the .Mac server did not recognise my username/password when it automatically goes to check for new messages.

It's not clear why this error is happening. The .Mac support online tells me the following:

This is pretty much saying they have a bug in their system. My username/password don't change during the day. Why should have to go to the webmail version to "confirm" my identity? (this does appear to work sometimes).

Any one else have this problem and found an easy solution that doesn't involve changing my password 3 times/day?

darragh
I have this issue too, and it's highly annoying, but it always clears itself up after a while if I just cancel the password prompt and try again later. I believe the problem lies at Apple's end, on the .Mac servers - so there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I'll send feedback to Apple about this, and post back if they reply with suggestions.

davecuse
May 26, 2004, 01:01 PM
I get the same thing all the time, I've been pretty unhappy with the actual mail portion of my .mac account. I've wound up mainly using it for iDisk, which serves me well.