PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Enclosures

arn
Jul 7, 2002, 11:42 AM
According to a source, there are currently up to six (6) enclosures undergoing internal testing. Features vary and it's unknown which features may make it to the final hardware... but they at least some include: white speaker, front mounted headphone jack, 4x512MB RAM, new motherboard, bays for two optical drives.

Certainly nothing earth-shattering, but of interest for those following closely... :)

MacWorld Expo NY is only 10 days away, and expectations are upgrades to the current PowerMac line.

kishba
Jul 7, 2002, 11:50 AM
yay!!!! some rumor-like info to satisfy my infallible crave... if only it wasn't so generic...

i miss last year when we had spy photos :(

Wes
Jul 7, 2002, 11:50 AM
Too bad there aren't any pictures ;-(, I would really like to see what these things look like

jbrown
Jul 7, 2002, 11:54 AM
am i the first?? any photos of the cases??

job
Jul 7, 2002, 01:04 PM
Six different enclosures 10 days before MWNY? Isn't that cutting it a bit close?

redAPPLE
Jul 7, 2002, 01:05 PM
my 0.02.

10 days left.

we have been waiting for almost half a year(?) for new power macs.

i guess we could wait for another 10 days, right guys?

vonboom
Jul 7, 2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
my 0.02.

10 days left.

we have been waiting for almost half a year(?) for new power macs.

i guess we could wait for another 10 days, right guys?
:D you bettcha......all my money are belong to apple

DavPeanut
Jul 7, 2002, 01:26 PM
whats with the big pict?

I like the idea of them testing multiple disigns.
Isn't it a bit late? I mean, testing ten days before the show? Whats with that?

job
Jul 7, 2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by DavPeanut
whats with the big pict?

I like the idea of them testing multiple disigns.
Isn't it a bit late? I mean, testing ten days before the show? Whats with that?

I was also wondering the same thing.

rice_web
Jul 7, 2002, 01:47 PM
They don't have to ship them for a couple of months, so what's wrong with testing them now?

eddively
Jul 7, 2002, 02:06 PM
even if it doesn't need to ship ASAP, they still need to show it MacWorld. People aren't going to want a generic PC case, then the message, "Surprise, your computer doesn't look like you thought, its now "...."..."

We need to see the goods before we buy it.

Grokgod
Jul 7, 2002, 02:08 PM
Ok First whats with the GOOed JPG?
Those are POD people , arent they?
With KAI GOO used with the ugly button on all the way!

Set on Kill!

New enclosures with only 10 days away,,, now being tested...?

I think that the new Powermacs better be ready to ship ,, RIGHT AWAY!

Ship those suckers and get the money in!

Testing now scares me, makes me think that they wont be there for MWNY!

You have to test these things a long time before releases or showing them at MWNY. You can't start testing now!

How will you know which one is to be shown at MW.
Even if they dont ship till doomsday!

Man oh man, I can see why people get crazy at MW's

I really can, I can feel it coming on ..... Brrrrrr

nero007
Jul 7, 2002, 02:26 PM
My guess is that they have that many enclosures right now to mess with the rumor sites. I'm sure they already know what is going to be ready for MWNY.

dongmin
Jul 7, 2002, 02:28 PM
New enclosures with only 10 days away,,, now being tested...?

You have to test these things a long time before releases or showing them at MWNY. You can't start testing now!

People, chill out. The rumor is so vague, it could mean anything.

For all we know, they may already have something set for MWNY and are testing for the next round.

Or, the diffterent prototypes may vary only on minor aspects, like grey speakers vs. white speakers. It could be anything.

Personally, I'm not expecting any radical revisions to the case until the G5. Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll get two 5.25" drive bays. Maybe.

rice_web
Jul 7, 2002, 03:09 PM
Maybe the Quicksilver case will be used again. Who knows?

drastik
Jul 7, 2002, 03:13 PM
I don't think that hte testing is anything to sweat, they probably just have a few floating around to confuse, or their were up to six being passed around for this development cycle and it took till now to find out how many were moving.

Sayer
Jul 7, 2002, 03:17 PM
Add about 6 weeks to any of these types of "testing" rumors. This info is being released very close to MWNY because its "safe" to do it now as many more people have been exposed to the whole CPU desgin process by now.

The new G4s should already be in production in whatever form it will take in order to build inventory for Apple, its distributors and also to sit in customs while gov't Customs agents decide if they could fit terrorists or shoulder fired missles inside a bunch of G4 CPU boxes.

Just relax. This is the big intermediate G4 update to save a small amount of face in the eyes of the media who wonder why Apple sells measly 1.x GHz G4s compared to monster 2.x GHz Pentiums.

I seriously doubt FireWire 2 will appear, just a newer mobo using Xserve tech such as DDR RAM and faster I/O. Xserve effectively let that one cat out of the bag (and maybe more, stay tuned).

gotohamish
Jul 7, 2002, 04:38 PM
People! Do you REALLY (REALLY!) think Apple don't have the enclosure ready?Maybe there'll be options, maybe not. Maybe they're always testing, and we don't know! I think the previous poster about different coloured speakers is probably right. Patience! 2 drive bays would RULE though. gth

JtheLemur
Jul 7, 2002, 05:46 PM
Kill El Capitan! It has served it's time, and served it VERY well, but it's time for something NEW! Even hardcore professionals want a good lookin' computer, and it's time for a change. =D

Heck, I'm taking out an AppleLoan if the kit is cool enough. hehehe.

ibookin'
Jul 7, 2002, 06:26 PM
Going to MWNY this year...

I wanna see something amazing at the keynote (DDR PowerMacs, G5, G4 iBook), although these things probably won't happen.

Still, I am flying out from Los Angeles to see the keynote.:D
I can't wait. 10 more days...

goglamosh
Jul 7, 2002, 07:52 PM
i hope that the new PowerMac's don't take too long to ship. i have been waiting for a DDR based PowerMac forever. i will definitely be putting in a order once they are made available on Apple's website.

Ordinate
Jul 7, 2002, 08:16 PM
This isn't likely... unless announcement to shipment will be another one of those give-or-take 2 month delays! :(

What's this about a poster getting 800 on the SAT in math? Make that two of us; however, it makes me wonder where did he/she take that test. While you can take the PSAT in your Freshman year of HS, no 9th-grader is ever rountinely scheduled for an SAT at that grade level. :confused:

vimac
Jul 7, 2002, 08:43 PM
I think the quicksilver case is almost perfect the way it is now, so I wouldn't be surpised if there wouldn't be drastic changes. Maybe USB, phonejacks, firewire, etc. being in the front and a second full size drive... those are the only design flows in the currect cases.

mymemory
Jul 7, 2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by hitman
Six different enclosures 10 days before MWNY? Isn't that cutting it a bit close?

That was the first thing that came to my mind, what are we? apha testers?

skunk
Jul 7, 2002, 09:53 PM
Quite clearly, Apple are actually planning to surprise us all and release six different models. Specs, anyone?

skunk
Jul 7, 2002, 09:59 PM
Of course there are other possibilities: they may be prototypes for the next generation, they may be disguised boxes built around the finished chassis for secrecy or someone at Apple has really dropped the ball this time!

Kid Red
Jul 8, 2002, 12:02 AM
Actually, if indeed there are 10 cases, I'm inclined to believe that 9 are decoys.

Grokgod
Jul 8, 2002, 12:40 AM
I think that we are grasping at straws in desperation...

This whole thing or lack of a thing is making MWNY all that much more interesting or important, and that is what Jobs wants...

He is winning... he put a lid on rumors to get us all crazy and now we are grabbing at anything in the dark!

I can hear him saying...

Just throw out some failed enclosures that will keep the animals happy...
Tomorrow we will drop a hint of the iWalk again as a distraction...

That will bore them into doing something else for a while...

Hemingray
Jul 8, 2002, 12:57 AM
The front headphone jack sounds nice, but how about front FireWire, Apple?! And keep in mind, SOME of us have wireless headphones. :p If they do the front jack they'd better also still have audio i/o in back too!

job
Jul 8, 2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Grokgod
I think that we are grasping at straws in desperation...

Well at least it gives us something to talk about in these forums which have been very stale, as of late. :D

Mr. Anderson
Jul 8, 2002, 08:53 AM
What I find interesting is that Arn didn't give a link to the source, hmmm. And case technology isn't exactly cutting edge, either. The design/ergonomics of the different cases would be interesting to compare. I'm hoping that after MWNY someone might be able to come up with the alternative case designs so we can see what could have been.

D

gopher
Jul 8, 2002, 09:08 AM
Wait, isn't Apple selling seven machines presently?

1. iMac
2. eMac
3. Xserve
4. iPod
5. PowerMac
6. Powerbook
7. iBook

Something isn't going to be updated. But does that mean
the other things will be? Logically that which is not going to be
updated is the Xserve.

Question is, does that mean all six other devices will see updates? Maybe Arne is just poking fun at those who want
to make up rumors.

eyelikeart
Jul 8, 2002, 09:30 AM
It's about damned time they do something like this!

I realize the layout of older motherboards wouldn't permit having it anywhere else but in the rear along with all of the other hookups...

but damn...this makes so much sense!! :D

btw...it's Monday and I'm very much impressed by the "little" things... ;)

teabgs
Jul 8, 2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

btw...it's Monday and I'm very much impressed by the "little" things... ;)

yeah, you keep telling yourself that the "little" things are impressive. that way you dont loose face. ;)

gopher the iPod is NOT a computer. It's an accessory, therefore there are 6 products in the line.

The eMac, Xserve, iBook, and TiBook have been updated recently enough that I dont expect anything for them. I also dont see an iPod update at this time. these products will get revamped in the fall/winter season.

I expect New Towers and updated iMacs at MWNY.

I also agree that hints to the new design are fun. if nothing more. :D

rekras
Jul 8, 2002, 10:07 AM
wow i can't believe the lack of rumors this close to NY...

djniche
Jul 8, 2002, 10:47 AM
the new G4???
It would make sense for it to along the new xserve and powerbook design.

djniche
Jul 8, 2002, 10:48 AM
could that be two firewire 2 connection on the front?

what do you guys think of this case?

skunk
Jul 8, 2002, 11:00 AM
It would certainly make a lot of sense to share components between models, such as the Apple Drive Module, but the design lacks a certain je ne sais quoi, n'est-ce pas?

vonboom
Jul 8, 2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by djniche
the new G4???
It would make sense for it to along the new xserve and powerbook design. maybe they are trying to through us off the smell.all my money are belong to apple
"dont love your next idea"

iN8
Jul 8, 2002, 11:13 AM
see this thread for more on that case

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=6598

DavPeanut
Jul 8, 2002, 11:38 AM
The most important part of the new enclosure is that it has two 5 1/4" drive areas.

coolocity
Jul 8, 2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by gopher
Wait, isn't Apple selling seven machines presently?

1. iMac
2. eMac
3. Xserve
4. iPod
5. PowerMac
6. Powerbook
7. iBook

Something isn't going to be updated. But does that mean
the other things will be? Logically that which is not going to be
updated is the Xserve.

Question is, does that mean all six other devices will see updates? Maybe Arne is just poking fun at those who want
to make up rumors.

Well, I really doubt there will be an iPod hardware update, so that narrows it down to 6. Just keep telling yourself.. 9 more days, 9 more days.

gropo
Jul 8, 2002, 12:14 PM
a monkey could've designed that tower face with Illustrator 5 and a textural snapshot of iTunes' skin... My money's on something a tad more innovative than a tower-ratioed Xserve...

Kid Red
Jul 8, 2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by gropo
a monkey could've designed that tower face with Illustrator 5 and a textural snapshot of iTunes' skin... My money's on something a tad more innovative than a tower-ratioed Xserve...

See that's why monkeys shouldn't be designing. The texture is from the Xserve photos, not iTunes. So the monkey's design would've been dark grey fake metal texture.

wHo_tHe
Jul 8, 2002, 01:18 PM
It'd be nice to retain at least a single handle somewhere... The current design is so easy to transport.

void
Jul 8, 2002, 01:39 PM
why would they change the whole case when the hd display just came out. that would mean that they would have to change all of their displays too. I think it will be the same case, just with some chrome, maybe on the apple logo?

SPG
Jul 8, 2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by djniche
could that be two firewire 2 connection on the front?

what do you guys think of this case?

The multiple ports on the front are nice, but the overall design is too square, and dare I say it...too PC.

The other problem with front ports other than Mobo issues, is that you have cords coming out of the front cluttering the clean look of the machine. If there are going to be front ports, hopefully they will have a closeable panel to hide them when not in use.
I'm counting on Apple to really come out with something bind blowing new here.

mymemory
Jul 8, 2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
Actually, if indeed there are 10 cases, I'm inclined to believe that 9 are decoys.

I guess you are right, now Apple have to develop an "intelligence department" to prevent spionge. :D

mymemory
Jul 8, 2002, 03:47 PM
BTW, I hope the new enclosure doesn't look like a PC too, the Ti looks like a PC at first glance.

mymemory
Jul 8, 2002, 03:49 PM
BTW again:) The Ti and the X server for sure are gonna appera in Terminator 3, I bet you that.

carta
Jul 8, 2002, 04:11 PM
What if MWNY is nothing more than dressing up the current tower case with '60s kitsch, like the Flower Power and Dalmation iMacs of yesteryear? Bummer...

If there's anything that needs a little change of apparel it's the eMac. It looks like a prototype for the original iMac. I really wish they could've stuck a G4 in the original iMac case, making a durable, lugable, lock-down-able masterpiece (sans Flower Power or Dalmation markings).

etoiles
Jul 8, 2002, 04:29 PM
I like the metal, but I think the new enclosure (if there is a new one, not just el capitan re-re-redux...) will also have some white plastic in it...

and the reason why the 'xserve mockup' looks so much like a PC is because all the different elements on the front panel are just aligned vertically, there is no 'structure', it looks like a stack of different bays and buttons. It is soooooooooo PC :rolleyes:

My bet is on a much simpler front panel where the elements are grouped together more, with the only horizontal lines from the drive bays and a neat little apple logo that stands out. metal front, white plastic sides. Should I draw you a picture ? :p

p.s: just having fun speculating...and dreaming of a bit of excitement, sitting in front of a BORING pc at work...

SPG
Jul 8, 2002, 04:29 PM
The emac is probably the most utilitarian of all the Mac designs, yet compare it to the standard cased PC and it looks like the most prgoressive design ever.
I believe that most of the prototypes don't see the light of day, not because they are intentionally decoys, but because something better comes along. Mr Ive definitely has his work cut out for him, and I don't think he will dissappoint us.

DavPeanut
Jul 8, 2002, 04:39 PM
I think that there will be only one case, holding three models all useing the same motherboards (duh.) I think it will be an Ti color case, hopefully one that can stand up to bullets (not that anyone would fire a bullet G4. Actually I know some people who might.) Speeds of 1, 1.2, and 1.4 Ghz.

Wry Cooter
Jul 9, 2002, 08:37 PM
I'm starting to think you will not see any new iron shipping without Jaguar, so you will have to wait at least a month for whatever Steve -might- have available on the floor for show regarding new hardware. Which actually... doesn't make it much different from any other expo.

There are rumors being leaked that there will be no new iron to show at the expo at all, that such an unveiling will be saved for an special event between MWNY and seybold, but this is probably to keep prying eyes from peeking and leaking.

But I would also take this rumor as a hint for everyone to sit down and take deep breaths, in case you will get nothing but software demos at the keynote.

gropo
Jul 10, 2002, 01:27 PM
Perhaps Kensington Knows Something!!! (http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_mic_d1477.html)

SPG
Jul 10, 2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by gropo
Perhaps Kensington Knows Something!!! (http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_mic_d1477.html)

?????????????????
Am I missing something, or did you just want to hype a mouse? What soes the mouse have to do with anything?

job
Jul 10, 2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SPG

?????????????????
Am I missing something, or did you just want to hype a mouse? What soes the mouse have to do with anything?

It's chrome. :rolleyes:

gropo
Jul 10, 2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by SPG
Am I missing something, or did you just want to hype a mouse? What soes the mouse have to do with anything? It's aimed at "Professionals" yet it sports "2002 consumer" white, "2002 consumer" chrome, and a "PowerUser" grey top. Not to mention it's "not yet shipping" (which might be due to manufacturing - or perhaps a parallel release of the new aesthetically-matched tower models...)

I should think it would be safe to say that the new towers... whenever they're released... will ship with a white keyboard and mouse a-la iMac98 --> B&W G3 transition.

(this is "MacRumors" and you're givin me s#17 about rumor-mongering? hehe)

SPG
Jul 10, 2002, 02:20 PM
Well um, duh. I saw the chrome but didn't htink it terribly telling of what's coming. I thought you had something more substantial to show with the link.
Didn't mean to give you sh** for rumor mongering, hell I love to do it all the time, I just wanted a little clarification on what you were pointing to.

Wry Cooter
Jul 10, 2002, 02:37 PM
I never think of my mouse as black- only clear.. as my desk itself is black, my clothes and furniture are black... etc.

How about Bluetooth mice and keyboards?

macabre
Jul 10, 2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by hitman

It's chrome. :rolleyes:

No, its white

Kid Red
Jul 11, 2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by mymemory

I guess you are right, now Apple have to develop an "intelligence department" to prevent spionge. :D

Actually, I meant 'unused mock ups' or 'rough ideas' etc. Not decoys, lol

Wry Cooter
Jul 11, 2002, 06:45 AM
Does anyone remember, before Jobs return, when the rumored Mac towers were often shown disguised in ugly beige casings just like any other PC on the market ? Waitaminute... those were the finshed production models;)

Actually, sometimes the leaked prototypes were in generic 'industry standard' casings. Its whats inside that counts- as long as its easy to get inside and it doesn't turn our stomach looking at it.

mmmdreg
Jul 13, 2002, 08:19 AM
I think all that is likely is a minor case revision to fix the worst aspects of the current design..then they'll do a whole revesion for the G5 and do a few mid-life updates for that as well..

theranch
Jul 14, 2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by macabre

No, its white
Actually if you guys subscribed to MacWorld you would have seen the current ad showing this mouse. It is clear acrylic like the Apple Pro mouse on the outside and has the colors of the quicksilver top and sides(silver & grey). The picture on that kensington site is picking up the light reflection since it is shinny.

G4scott
Jul 15, 2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by SPG

The other problem with front ports other than Mobo issues, is that you have cords coming out of the front cluttering the clean look of the machine.

I don't know... My G4 right now is cluttered with a router and a hub above it, and tons of ethernet cables going everywhere, a 6 foot mouse cable with my m$ intellimouse (It had the little round one, and my dad wanted optical...), my joystick is a mess of cable too... Of course, I just might be a messy person :p

SPG
Jul 15, 2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by G4scott

I don't know... My G4 right now is cluttered with a router and a hub above it, and tons of ethernet cables going everywhere, a 6 foot mouse cable with my m$ intellimouse (It had the little round one, and my dad wanted optical...), my joystick is a mess of cable too... Of course, I just might be a messy person :p

Didn't mean to say that I didn't think front ports were a good idea, since I really want to see them, just that the designers don't like them since they make the machines less "smooth" looking. Notice how the optical bay is covered with a flap? smooth. Maybe everything will be even smoother with wireless connections...