PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3GS Jailbreak/Unlock is HERE!

redrox5
Jun 25, 2009, 11:39 PM
===New Info===
GeoHot has done it again. The 3GS Jailbreak is live. From his twitter:
AND ITS LIVE -- 3GS JAILBREAK -- http://purplera1n.com/ (http://purplera1n.com)
16 minutes ago from web
I just got a call from the weatherman and he's predicting ra1n very shortly.

Windows only right now, just an .exe, download it and run it! Ultrasnow works out of the box, use the same method as was used on the 3G.

===Older Info===
http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/and-so-it-shall-be-pwned-for-life.html

Looks like we'll be seeing a Jailbreak soon. As MuscleNerd had alluded to previously, the baseband of the 3GS is compatible with UltraSn0w. Great news for those holding out for an unlock before buying. Also of note is to read this: http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/usbdump-huh-how.html Just to make sure you get the ECID stored now.

Edit: DevTeam has more info, including a CONFIRMATION (here is looking at you jstigall) that UltraSn0w is compatible:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/130456145/24kpwn-lives-on-in-the-iphone-3gs

jstigall
Jun 25, 2009, 11:43 PM
http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/and-so-it-shall-be-pwned-for-life.html

Looks like we'll be seeing a Jailbreak soon. As MuscleNerd had alluded to previously, the baseband of the 3GS is compatible with UltraSn0w. Great news for those holding out for a jailbreak. Also of note is to read this: http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/usbdump-huh-how.html Just to make sure you get the ECID stored now.

Jailbreak does not equal unlock, and the baseband has nothing to do with jailbreaking. The bootrom happens to be the same, so they can upload their own code and execute it.

Applejuiced
Jun 25, 2009, 11:46 PM
Sweet, so the exploit present in the iPod Touch 2G jailbreak that was released over 5 months ago can be used to jailbreak the 3GS and most likelly also unlock the new iphone with ultrasnow.
Great news, I think we'll see a jailbreak for the 3GS soon.

redrox5
Jun 25, 2009, 11:47 PM
Jailbreak does not equal unlock, and the baseband has nothing to do with jailbreaking. The bootrom happens to be the same, so they can upload their own code and execute it.

While that would be true, I wasn't talking about the bootrom, I was talking about the baseband, which IS the same and IS unlockable via UltraSn0w. This is from MuscleNerd's (if you don't know who he is or why he is important, google him) twitter: @mikehindman not to get anyone's hopes up too early, but it's looking like ultrasn0w will be multi-platform :) That was about 5 hours ago. Thanks for playing.

mavis
Jun 26, 2009, 12:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Excellent news!!! I got my 3GS about two hours ago (they just launched in Japan today!) and I can't wait to jailbreak this thing. I finally have an iPhone that won't slow down to an excrutiatingly slow crawl if jailbroken. Sign me up!!

redrox5
Jun 26, 2009, 12:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Exceent news!!! I got my 3GS about two hours ago (they just launched in Japan today!) and I can't wait to jailbreak this thing. I finally have an iPhone that won't slow down to an excrutiatingly slow crawl if jailbroken. Sign me up!!

Read this little how-to on backing up your ECID from your 3GS: http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/usbdump-huh-how.html

Applejuiced
Jun 26, 2009, 12:04 AM
Maybe when everything is worked out we wont have to go thru that.
I dont feel like putting my iphone in DFU mode and restore everything all over again.

Read this little how-to on backing up your ECID from your 3GS: http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/usbdump-huh-how.html

redrox5
Jun 26, 2009, 12:07 AM
Maybe when everything is worked out we wont have to go thru that.
I dont feel like putting my iphone in DFU mode and restore everything all over again.

You don't actually have to restore it. Just put it in DFU mode, open up system profiler and grab the ECID. When you are done, put that in the page at www.purplera1n.com. After that, just restart the phone, no restore necessary!

Acronym
Jun 26, 2009, 12:15 AM
Cool i might jailbreak when its availbale but as of now i am quite satisfied with the way it is (atleast for now)

Niiro13
Jun 26, 2009, 12:18 AM
Aside from unlocking, is there any reason to use jailbreak now? I guess backgrounding for like the radio applications would be a highlight (as well as stuff like pedometers, etc.)...but other than that, hasn't 3.0 covered most of the things people wanted?

MistaBungle
Jun 26, 2009, 12:21 AM
I thought talking about the jailbreak/unlock is how the cat gets fed?

jav6454
Jun 26, 2009, 12:22 AM
ECID eh? I want to see how long till that gets broken by the Dev Team.

Applejuiced
Offcourse not, theres tons of things you can do with a jailbroken iphone besides whats available at 3.0

Aside from unlocking, is there any reason to use jailbreak now? I guess backgrounding for like the radio applications would be a highlight (as well as stuff like pedometers, etc.)...but other than that, hasn't 3.0 covered most of the things people wanted?

Gathomblipoob
Backgrounder and SBSettings are two obvious examples.

Applejuiced
Jun 26, 2009, 12:24 AM
voipover3G, tricker3G, OpenSSH

mavis
Jun 26, 2009, 12:25 AM

VoIPOver3G, Winterboard, SBSettings, SBNotify.

hchavarria
Jun 26, 2009, 12:25 AM

I would Jailbreak for backgrounder (defeats having pandora if I can't do anything else like surf at the same time) and to customize the look.

Applejuiced
Jun 26, 2009, 12:27 AM
I agree.
And with a faster processor and more ram backgrounder would be smoother on the 3GS.

I would Jailbreak for backgrounder (defeats having pandora if I can't do anything else like surf at the same time)

redrox5
Jun 26, 2009, 12:35 AM
I agree.
And with a faster processor and more ram backgrounder would be smoother on the 3GS.

Speaking of that, apparently the word on the street is that emulators (remember the PSX emu?) are able to run at damn near full speed on the 3GS.

Muncher
Jun 26, 2009, 12:38 AM
I thought talking about the jailbreak/unlock is how the cat gets fed?

Well, if the 3Gs is still vulnerable to the same exploit found months ago, the cat must be asleep. :p

Applejuiced
Jun 26, 2009, 12:43 AM
Hell yeah, Im really excited about that also :)

Speaking of that, apparently the word on the street is that emulators (remember the PSX emu?) are able to run at damn near full speed on the 3GS.

jav6454
Jun 26, 2009, 12:56 AM
Well, if the 3Gs is still vulnerable to the same exploit found months ago, the cat must be asleep. :p

No, its just for development reasons, I think the cat allowed the iPhone 3G S⃣ to be this way (remember that strange identifier back in October advertisement data?). So I bet, Apple said, whatever, lets concentrate on making the next iPhone tougher.

... snip ...

Also, UltraSn0w is 100% compatible since the iPhone 3G S⃣ and the iPhone 3G use the same baseband chip hardware and software.

Applejuiced
Jun 26, 2009, 12:58 AM
strange identifier back in October advertisement data?
So you mean Apple knew but didnt care about jailbreaking/unlocking?

jav6454
Jun 26, 2009, 01:02 AM
strange identifier back in October advertisement data?
So you mean Apple knew but didnt care about jailbreaking/unlocking?

Remember a MacRumor report about the ad agency for free applications detecting in their servers 1 strange iPhone identifier? The regular at that time was iPhone1,1 and iPhone1,2 (1st Gen iPhone and iPhone 3G). However, they noted that in the Bay Area, 3 different devices with the identifier iPhone2,1 appeared.

Meaning Apple was testing the hardware out in the wild. So, that development was well deep. So for Apple to trash that development (remember 24k exploit became known in March/April timeline) was unthinkable (try developing or correcting hardware in less than 2 months, not easy, not even for Apple), so they rather have the Dev Team this victory and concentrate on the next iPhone.

Applejuiced
Jun 26, 2009, 01:04 AM
Interesting.
They lost the battle but keep fighting the war.
Seems like the Dev Team is winning though :D

Remember a MacRumor report about the ad agency for free applications detecting in their servers 1 strange iPhone identifier? The regular at that time was iPhone1,1 and iPhone1,2 (1st Gen iPhone and iPhone 3G). However, they noted that in the Bay Area, 3 different devices with the identifier iPhone2,1 appeared.

Meaning Apple was testing the hardware out in the wild. So, that development was well deep. So for Apple to trash that development (remember 24k exploit became known in March/April timeline) was unthinkable (try developing or correcting hardware in less than 2 months, not easy, not even for Apple), so they rather have the Dev Team this victory and concentrate on the next iPhone.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 26, 2009, 01:08 AM
hope this comes soon so I can upgrade from my 3G

UStream app just updated so imagine the new camera on that

I also need ibLacklist, lockdown, categories thru jailbreaking

mavis
Jun 26, 2009, 01:24 AM
All backed up and ready to go. Thanks for the info. :)

daneoni
Jun 26, 2009, 05:10 AM
Am i the only one who thinks this is somewhat pointless now? Despite being a big fan of the dev team all the perks of jailbreaking have pretty much been answered in 3.0.

Only use for it...to me anyway is unlocking and i'd only do that when i want to sell the phone in future. O2 roaming charges are reasonable for me and i'm not really a fan of any other network in the UK either

Video recording, voice memo, MMS....all have been address in 3.0

So no real use for me...unless i'm doing it for shi ts/giggles

fishkorp
Jun 26, 2009, 05:49 AM
I'll jailbreak for the purpose of Sling over 3G and StatusNotifier. Don't need anything else JB has to offer. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

germanjulian
Jun 26, 2009, 06:48 AM
hey,

I dont know anything about jailbreaking and unlocking really but quick question.

Do you think it will be possible to unlock and not jailbreak? And iTunes and all apps keep working etc?

aidricksdad
Jun 26, 2009, 08:30 AM
I'll jailbreak for the purpose of Sling over 3G and StatusNotifier. Don't need anything else JB has to offer. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

me too unless the extra ram and whatnot make winderboard not kill my phone

TSX
Jun 26, 2009, 08:51 AM
I cant wait!

Gathomblipoob
Jun 26, 2009, 09:43 AM
Am i the only one who thinks this is somewhat pointless now? Despite being a big fan of the dev team all the perks of jailbreaking have pretty much been answered in 3.0.

Only use for it...to me anyway is unlocking and i'd only do that when i want to sell the phone in future. O2 roaming charges are reasonable for me and i'm not really a fan of any other network in the UK either

Video recording, voice memo, MMS....all have been address in 3.0

So no real use for me...unless i'm doing it for shi ts/giggles

Backgrounder for multitasking.

datamage
Jun 26, 2009, 10:10 AM
I think this is great..

I miss;

Winterboard (Apple should allow themes for the phone, they can even sell themes for 99c on the App store or something.)

SBSettings Having toggles a swipe away is great. Even though the 3GS is much faster now, you still have to go through a couple of menus to toggle some things on/off.

Custom sounds for SMS/E-mail - Again, why not Apple?

Categories - I didn't use this before because it took a few seconds for each folder to load, and it consumed more memory, but with the added RAM and speed, it should be ok now. (I think.)

Anyhow, there's a few more things, but those are definitely some things I look forward to when JB'ing. 3.0 has alleviated some need, but not all.

TSX
Jun 26, 2009, 10:17 AM
Cant forget about 5 dock icons and winterboard.

jav6454
Jun 26, 2009, 11:42 AM
Backgrounder for multitasking.

No ty...

Chrisrokc
Jun 26, 2009, 12:41 PM
There are programs in jailbreak that will never be available in the appstore. Emulators....

jav6454
Jun 26, 2009, 12:43 PM
There are programs in jailbreak that will never be available in the appstore. Emulators....

and Themes...

TSX
Jun 26, 2009, 12:45 PM

I know now the NES emulator isn't free you have to pay 5.99 for the 3.0 version, but 2.2.1 is free.

Ishimaru
Jun 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
I know now the NES emulator isn't free you have to pay 5.99 for the 3.0 version, but 2.2.1 is free.Supporting developers is always nice!

vince24L
Jun 26, 2009, 12:54 PM
I miss Bitesmsuperlite or whatever its called that is only the pop up box.

And I miss Installous baddd. :-x

TSX
Jun 26, 2009, 12:59 PM
Supporting developers is always nice!

Yea as long as their not crapps, but most jailbreak apps you can try before you buy.

Ishimaru
Jun 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
Yea as long as their not crapps, but most jailbreak apps you can try before you buy.No I know, I'm saying there should be a demo version, and a regular version. And if you like the demo version, pay for the regular version, and not pirate.

crazymexx
Jun 26, 2009, 02:44 PM
Interesting.
They lost the battle but keep fighting the war.
Seems like the Dev Team is winning though :D

It's already... It's been out for about a week. Ultrasn0w

Go to quickpwn.com or google ultra sn0w and download the new tool

trssho
Jun 26, 2009, 03:08 PM
I really don't think Apple is trying to darn hard to lock up the phones. They must sell an additional 100,000 phones because people CAN unlock and use on other networks. Apple doesn't care if ATT get screwed! Now crapps would make Apple unhappy, but probably not a big deal to the bottom line.

Muncher
Jun 26, 2009, 04:30 PM

Do not go to quickpwn.com. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go directly to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/, the official blog of the dev-team. Then follow their instructions. Ultrasn0w is an iPhone native app, not a computer tool.

nws0291
Jun 26, 2009, 04:36 PM

Not for the 3GS. Don't spread bad info.

Knowlege Bomb
Jun 26, 2009, 04:47 PM
hey,

I dont know anything about jailbreaking and unlocking really but quick question.

Do you think it will be possible to unlock and not jailbreak? And iTunes and all apps keep working etc?

This is definitely the MOST annoying misconception about jailbreaking.

Jailbreaking does not disable any native apps. You can still purchase and use apps from the app store. It adds functionality to the phone rather than taking it away.

And no, you cannot unlock without jailbreaking.

redrox5
Jul 3, 2009, 03:07 AM
Jailbreak is live. Ultrasn0w should work out of the box with the current BB.

dayloon
Jul 3, 2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks to Geohot !

http://purplera1n.com/

pw1500
Jul 3, 2009, 03:26 AM
Windows only? Do I steal my gf's pc or do I wait for a more stable release from the dev team?

Is this a pwnage tool style jailbreak or quickpwn style?

JRML970
Jul 3, 2009, 03:27 AM
Jailbreak is live. Ultrasn0w should work out of the box with the current BB.Anybody brave enough to try it? If so let us know if it works.

marra2
Jul 3, 2009, 03:29 AM
Damn ! I'm at work for another 5 hours but at least some of you will have tried it by then !

Spidesol
Jul 3, 2009, 03:31 AM
ok so where are the directions on how to use it?

mavis
Jul 3, 2009, 03:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

Damn ! I'm at work for another 5 hours but at least some of you will have tried it by then !

Yeah, I think I'd sit this one out anyway. Let someone else be the guinea pig. ;)

NerdTeks
Jul 3, 2009, 03:35 AM
Im still doing a few tests @ getting this to run. Atleast on Windows 7.

Just a tip. It WILL take several minutes if not 10+ to complete it seems.

I had to rerun the program a few times while having it plugged in and yes iTunes caughed up some error but It went away and then the Purplerain logo came on. Sadly my hpone was not charged enough and died. Im charging it now and diving back into it.

Ill keep a few updates coming.

pw1500
Jul 3, 2009, 03:37 AM
Im still doing a few tests @ getting this to run. Atleast on Windows 7.

Just a tip. It WILL take several minutes if not 10+ to complete it seems.

I had to rerun the program a few times while having it plugged in and yes iTunes caughed up some error but It went away and then the Purplerain logo came on. Sadly my hpone was not charged enough and died. Im charging it now and diving back into it.

Ill keep a few updates coming.

Rather you then me mate... Sounds a bit unpolished?

NerdTeks
Jul 3, 2009, 03:39 AM
Rather you then me mate... Sounds a bit unpolished?

Not to knock that very hard work and obvious great job to release such a tool, yes... It is a bit unpolished...

But that's what makes it all even more fun :)

Tomple
Jul 3, 2009, 03:46 AM
im deffinetly waiting. the dev team never fails :D

WilliamG
Jul 3, 2009, 03:54 AM
Not working under a VM Windows 7 install. Boo. Program just crashes on launch.

monkey3200
Jul 3, 2009, 04:04 AM
Don't wait on the Dev Team, they stated in there lasted blog post that they will wait til 3.1

and I just jailbroke my 3GS!!!!

Very simple takes 1 click on the computer, and one tap on the iPhone to get Cydia

Good luck all

rjackman
Jul 3, 2009, 04:05 AM
Will this work if I run it in windows as my iphone was setup on my mac ?, Will i then be able to install theme apps ?

John89
Jul 3, 2009, 04:11 AM
Geohot is a prick. Wait for the dev teams version guys!

WilliamG
Jul 3, 2009, 04:12 AM
Geohot is a prick. Wait for the dev teams version guys!

No he's dead right, if you ask me.

Spidesol
Jul 3, 2009, 04:13 AM
WOOOOOOO!!!! i jailbroke my iphone 3gs!!! with the purplera1n!!!!

daleski75
Jul 3, 2009, 04:16 AM
Just for a laugh I tried it and it worked fine, not sure I will keep it as I don't need a jailbroken 3GS but was curious.

The only use I can see a JB phone for from experience is backgrounder and voipover3g.

No crashes or any bugs so far, cydia feels snappier too compared to my old 3G.

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 04:17 AM
Idk about this guys...

redrox5
Jul 3, 2009, 04:20 AM
Anybody brave enough to try it? If so let us know if it works.

I've tried. Works a charm.

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 04:28 AM
Mine is stuck on:

"entering recovery..."

redrox5
Jul 3, 2009, 04:34 AM
Mine is stuck on:

"entering recovery..."

Try unplugging then plugging back in (don't close the app). That seemed to trigger it for me on a Windows 7 machine I tried it on.

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 04:36 AM
Try unplugging then plugging back in (don't close the app). That seemed to trigger it for me on a Windows 7 machine I tried it on.

I'm using Windows XP, installing the latest iTunes (I haven't used this laptop in a while ;))

Should I have iTunes open or nah?

redrox5
Jul 3, 2009, 04:44 AM
I'm using Windows XP, installing the latest iTunes (I haven't used this laptop in a while ;))

Should I have iTunes open or nah?

Yeah I had iTunes open while I was doing it. Should work.

Spidesol
Jul 3, 2009, 04:47 AM
here is a pic to prove it worked if anyone needs anymore proof let me know and i will take more pics, i was running 3.1 beta but i downgraded to 3.0 but my baseband is still 05.08.01

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5707/img0001yli.png (http://img193.imageshack.us/i/img0001yli.png/) http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/img0001yli.png/1/w320.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img193/img0001yli.png/1/)

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8324/img0002sxv.png (http://img8.imageshack.us/i/img0002sxv.png/) http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/img0002sxv.png/1/w320.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img8/img0002sxv.png/1/)

WilliamG
Jul 3, 2009, 04:52 AM
I just tried running the hack on an XP machine and it crashes the second I click "make it rain," so I guess I'll wait for a Mac version *sigh*

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 04:52 AM
Yeah I had iTunes open while I was doing it. Should work.

It's just the purplera1 guy on the skateboard...

Is this a joke?...

EDIT; works fine =]

Nicholas.C
Jul 3, 2009, 04:53 AM
I'd rather wait for a more reliable jailbrake... Dev-Team.

CDRacingZX6R
Jul 3, 2009, 04:55 AM
Worked fine for me.. Seemed to be the most simple JB I've ever used...

Only problems so far have been with winterboard. Caused a boot in safe mode, and an odd restart issue. playing around to see if it's a major issue.

Hmm.. Anyone having any troubles with winterboard crashing and starting in safe mode? Even with a restart, which takes forever it seems to be failing.

Anyway to enter recovery mode if it's not being detected anymore by itunes? It seems to have gotten stuck in restarting, so I guess it's bricked.

So I'm thinking restore, and try again?

harry20larry
Jul 3, 2009, 05:07 AM
I will only consider jailbreaking if someone makes 720p video recording at 30fps or over

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 05:11 AM
Anyway to enter recovery mode if it's not being detected anymore by itunes? It seems to have gotten stuck in restarting, so I guess it's bricked.

So I'm thinking restore, and try again?

turn it off then hold the menu button and then plug the cord in

auggie2k
Jul 3, 2009, 05:12 AM
Just for a laugh I tried it and it worked fine, not sure I will keep it as I don't need a jailbroken 3GS but was curious.

The only use I can see a JB phone for from experience is backgrounder and voipover3g.

No crashes or any bugs so far, cydia feels snappier too compared to my old 3G.
Of course it's quicker, the whole phone is more than twice as quick!

CDRacingZX6R
Jul 3, 2009, 05:13 AM
turn it off then hold the menu button and then plug the cord in

Thanks bro.

Once it's finished doing its thing, going to try again.

Compile 'em all
Jul 3, 2009, 05:20 AM
Windows 7 and OS X tools are coming out on Monday.

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks bro.

Once it's finished doing its thing, going to try again.

NP. Trying out my new Jailbroken Apps =].

G'night.

Finally happy.

Nintendolinky
Jul 3, 2009, 05:28 AM
Has it broken, push notifications for anyone, or is it just me.

CDRacingZX6R
Jul 3, 2009, 05:46 AM
Well for me, I restored. Set device up as a new one. JB, which went fine.

Installed winterboard. And it will only boot in safe mode.

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 05:50 AM
Has it broken, push notifications for anyone, or is it just me.

I still get Beejive Push.

Well for me, I restored. Set device up as a new one. JB, which went fine.

Installed winterboard. And it will only boot in safe mode.

Same here, unfortunately =\.

Nintendolinky
Jul 3, 2009, 05:51 AM
How do you get rid of the freeze app, its just there.

rarity
Jul 3, 2009, 06:07 AM
That was pretty quick.

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 06:08 AM
I uninstalled Winterboard as it caused too many problems.

Using Five Icon Dock for now.

fishkorp
Jul 3, 2009, 06:14 AM
here is a pic to prove it worked if anyone needs anymore proof let me know and i will take more pics, i was running 3.1 beta but i downgraded to 3.0 but my baseband is still 05.08.01

Would it not work at all on 3.1? Or did you downgrade just to be safe?

macjram
Jul 3, 2009, 06:16 AM
Idk about this guys...

I know about it. I tried it, and it works.

I just tried running the hack on an XP machine and it crashes the second I click "make it rain," so I guess I'll wait for a Mac version *sigh*

I used Windows XP as well. Worked perfectly for me.

TIPS:
- HAVE LATEST ITUNES
- SAVE EXE TO DESKTOP
- PLUG IN IPHONE
- HAVE ITUNES OPEN
- RUN EXE
- LET IT DO ITS THING
- WHEN ITUNES MESSAGE POPS UP, PRESS OK
- IPHONE REBOOTS
- CLICK ON FREEZE
- DOWNLOAD CYDIA

=]. I love it. I have 10 pages of Apps already. GOODNIGHT !

egraphixstudios
Jul 3, 2009, 06:35 AM
mine keeps on getting stuck in restore mode.. :(

doesnt proceed any further.. anyone else having this problems.

Have had to restore the phone 5 times now.

Spidesol
Jul 3, 2009, 06:55 AM
damn it sucks that winterboard is not working!!! the whole point for jailbreaking for me is to be able to customize themes!!!

maxpayne.co.uk
Jul 3, 2009, 07:32 AM
Let me get this straight - does this unlock 3GS so I can use it with Orange?

Narco220
Jul 3, 2009, 07:32 AM
Waste of time phone just gets stuck in recovery mode and have to restore again!

I'm using vista

na300zx
Jul 3, 2009, 07:51 AM
Got a few quick questions for you guys. Lets say I go through with this Jailbreak and want to restore. Thats as simple as just hitting restore and then it gives me the options to sync to my last state before being JB/Cydia? Also, when you jailbreak, you can still get on itunes and get apps? Also, do I need to capture the iBEC and iBSS signatures before 3.1 or am I good to go with just purplera1n?

germanguy
Jul 3, 2009, 07:55 AM
How do you guys exit safe mode? After entering safemode, sb settings does not seem to respond

pw1500
Jul 3, 2009, 08:00 AM
Jay Freeman's (saurik) twitter says: The PurpleRa1n 3GS jailbreak (like the unofficial 3.0 beta QuickPwn jailbreaks) is missing critical patches required for WinterBoard (etc.).

Might be worth waiting for dev team?

war eagle
Jul 3, 2009, 08:03 AM
If you dont care about Winterboard... geohots jailbreak is fine.. push working and all.

pw1500
Jul 3, 2009, 08:05 AM
If you dont care about Winterboard... geohots jailbreak is fine.. push working and all.

Yea I might use geohots for now, then when dev team release there version do a restore and re-jailbreak..

labman
Jul 3, 2009, 08:06 AM
running multiple apps is of the most awesome part for me it appears a tad unstable too me reading the post. I think I will wait for a few more guinea pigs. I need to visit the Apple store in the next day or so anyway and talk too the apple geniuses because of signal loss issues. don't think I'll bring them a JB phone. ;)

btw another way to get your ECID or unique identifierb go to Itunes down load Istat free app run app. press my Iphone on the bottom page you can email you info. you can also use Idtat too clear you Iphone memory one of my favorite apps!

speakerwizard
Jul 3, 2009, 09:40 AM
im just getting waiting for phone - XP vmware (phone definatley connected)

mavis
Jul 3, 2009, 09:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

running multiple apps is of the most awesome part for me it appears a tad unstable too me reading the post. I think I will wait for a few more guinea pigs. I need to visit the Apple store in the next day or so anyway and talk too the apple geniuses because of signal loss issues. don't think I'll bring them a JB phone. ;)

btw another way to get your ECID or unique identifierb go to Itunes down load Istat free app run app. press my Iphone on the bottom page you can email you info. you can also use Idtat too clear you Iphone memory one of my favorite apps!

Actually, iStat shows the UDID, not the ECID.

aldude
Jul 3, 2009, 10:00 AM
mine keeps on getting stuck in restore mode.. :(

doesnt proceed any further.. anyone else having this problems.

Have had to restore the phone 5 times now.

Yep - I had that problem. Did some searching elsewhere though, got it working and didn't need to restore. Here's how I did it:

1. Run the app - says "Done, waiting to reboot" or something - nothing happens.

2. Close the ra1n app

3. Unplug the iphone & switch it off

4. Plug it back in again

5. Re-run the app

6. Bingo - the rain guy appears on the screen. App says waiting to reboot again - this time it happened after a minute or so.

7. After reboot (& entered my passcode), new icon Freeze somewhere on the Springboard - run that, and press the Install Cydia button. Bingo.

I now have a JB 3GS 32GB :-D in UK on O2. Running SBSettings and Five Icon Dock, and that's it cos I'm new to this scene... better go and look for something useful!

egraphixstudios
Jul 3, 2009, 10:58 AM
Yep - I had that problem. Did some searching elsewhere though, got it working and didn't need to restore. Here's how I did it:

2. Close the ra1n app

4. Plug it back in again

5. Re-run the app

6. Bingo - the rain guy appears on the screen. App says waiting to reboot again - this time it happened after a minute or so.

7. After reboot (& entered my passcode), new icon Freeze somewhere on the Springboard - run that, and press the Install Cydia button. Bingo.

I now have a JB 3GS 32GB :-D in UK on O2. Running SBSettings and Five Icon Dock, and that's it cos I'm new to this scene... better go and look for something useful!

This worked superbly!! Couldnt thank you enough!

germanguy
Jul 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
Bummer. VOIP3G does not work

bbplayer5
Jul 3, 2009, 11:08 AM

2. Close the ra1n app

4. Plug it back in again

5. Re-run the app

Doesnt work for me.. still cant get it working.

acm29
Jul 3, 2009, 11:10 AM

hey i believe u commenting in my thread ,.

anyways

i eventually got it to restore again. i unplugged it held sleepwake and home until apple logo appeared kept it held down until the logo dissapeared and it turned black again

plugged it in did the same procedure as above.. and finally it was able to restore with NO errors.

bbplayer5
Jul 3, 2009, 11:30 AM
hey i believe u commenting in my thread ,.

anyways

i eventually got it to restore again. i unplugged it held sleepwake and home until apple logo appeared kept it held down until the logo dissapeared and it turned black again

plugged it in did the same procedure as above.. and finally it was able to restore with NO errors.

Restoring isnt my problem, its the jailbreak. Does this REQUIRE XP?

psywzrd
Jul 3, 2009, 11:35 AM
Bummer. VOIP3G does not work

Not at all or only with certain apps? VOIPover3G is one of the main reasons I want to jailbreak my 3gs (for Skype and Slingplayer). If it's not going to work, I may not bother. Either way, I think I'm going to wait for the dev team's jailbreak - I trust them more.

fishkorp
Jul 3, 2009, 11:42 AM
Not at all or only with certain apps? VOIPover3G is one of the main reasons I want to jailbreak my 3gs (for Skype and Slingplayer). If it's not going to work, I may not bother. Either way, I think I'm going to wait for the dev team's jailbreak - I trust them more.

They said the patch for VoIPover3g/TrickerThreeG is done, they're trying to figure out how to distribute it.

alexmadison
Jul 3, 2009, 11:48 AM

”http://fring.com/iphone.xml”) to your “Sources” list. Just fire up Installer.app, hit the “Sources” button located along the bottom edge of the Installer window. Hit the “Edit” button in the upper right corner, and then hit “Add” in the upper left corner. When prompted, enter “http://fring.com/iphone.xml” into the URL field.

You’ll see a new application category named “Fring” in your main Installer.app window. Click that and install the package - you’ll be off and VoIP-ing in no time with fring on your iPhone!

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 11:50 AM
They said the patch for VoIPover3g/TrickerThreeG is done, they're trying to figure out how to distribute it.

where are you finding out about these updates??

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 11:51 AM

2. Close the ra1n app

I only had to go through these first three steps.. and it was successful. :D

edit: I don't see the cydia app after downloading it via the Freeze icon... wtf?!

edit2: Just had to reboot.. cydia's there now! :D

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 12:01 PM
How can i get installous on this ?!

acm29
Jul 3, 2009, 12:03 PM
Do you download Installer from Cydia? I forgot

fireshot91
Jul 3, 2009, 12:05 PM
Wait. I'm confused. How do you actually jailbreak the 3GS?

I don't want to unlock, I just want Cydia.

acm29
Jul 3, 2009, 12:17 PM

Tried it again still can't get it working. Loaded the Ra1n app did its thing got stuck on "Wait for Reboot" and I waited... unplugged turned it of. then plugged it in tried running Ra1n again.. Nothing stuck on plug usb-to itunes picture

Maybe something is going on?

Mysteriouskk
Jul 3, 2009, 12:32 PM
If I run the jailbreak, can I restore the 3gs back to the original firmware if I don't like the jailbreak?

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 12:34 PM
Ok, i'm a bit confused.. I got cydia installed... but isn't there supposed to be an installous app? How do I go about getting this?

johnrs
Jul 3, 2009, 12:34 PM
Tried it again still can't get it working. Loaded the Ra1n app did its thing got stuck on "Wait for Reboot" and I waited... unplugged turned it of. then plugged it in tried running Ra1n again.. Nothing stuck on plug usb-to itunes picture

Maybe something is going on?

yeah thats where I am stuck too :(

I am doing a restore back to factory setting and then going to try again

I am on Vista SP1

maxpayne.co.uk
Jul 3, 2009, 12:35 PM
Wait. I'm confused. How do you actually jailbreak the 3GS?

I don't want to unlock, I just want Cydia.

You only need to load ultrasn0w to unlock. Use purplera1n to jailbreak and install Cydia and you have a jailbroken iPhone without the ultrasnow unlock.

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 12:38 PM
I've tried. Works a charm.

i installed ultrasn0w.. but where is the app icon for it on the main screen? I'm tryin to get apps.. is it like installous ?

D3lta
Jul 3, 2009, 12:42 PM
Ok, i'm a bit confused.. I got cydia installed... but isn't there supposed to be an installous app? How do I go about getting this?

Go into Cydia and add "http://cydia.hackulo.us (http://hackulo.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=17625)" it'll be in their repo...

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 12:51 PM
is anyone elses wifi connection randomly dropping and causing 1-3 sec freezes on the 3gs after installing the jailbreak, because mine is.

And did I make a big mistake by installing ultrasn0w..err?

marra2
Jul 3, 2009, 12:52 PM
dont install winterboard its not ready yet and will put your phone into safe mode and you'll have to restore ! and don't install anything that requires winterboard cos it installs it at the same time ! I just found thids out the hard way :mad:

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 12:54 PM
should i do a restore via itunes?!? I think this freezing problem is occuring because i installed ultrasn0w. Is it safe to restore?

NYR99
Jul 3, 2009, 01:00 PM
Does this restore your iphone, or does it keep all your contact, messages, music, etc. on the iphone?

AlexiFortuni
Jul 3, 2009, 01:07 PM
the exe. keeps crashing ... tells me the program was closed due to an unknown error.

windows vista 64bit.

maybe because its a 64bit version??

egraphixstudios
Jul 3, 2009, 01:11 PM
1. Please make sure your using Windows XP 32bit on a physical machine. not a VM or 64bit version etc... Windows XP inside bootcamp seems to work fine.

2. If you dont meet this criteria then you will get random crashing of the exe file.

3. Please make sure you have the latest version of itunes installed.

4. backup your iphone contents before even starting the process.

If your getting stuck at restore mode, do the following (written by aldude):

1. Run the app - says "Done, waiting to reboot" or something - nothing happens- you *may* get the image with geohot in the rain, but wait for about 6-8mins, if nothing happens then proceed to next stage:

2. Close the ra1n app

4. Plug it back in again

5. Re-run the app

Once you've isntalled cydia through Freeze, restart the iphone and cydia will be available on the desktop. PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL WINTERBOARD AS IT IS BROKEN ATM. for Installous add the following source: "http:\\cydia.hackulos.at"

Dureing the above process I left itunes open in the background, it will pop up randomly when the iphone is in restore mode. just click ok, but leave it running in the background.
:)

NYR99
Jul 3, 2009, 01:16 PM
1. Please make sure your using Windows XP 32bit on a physical machine. not a VM or 64bit version etc... Windows XP inside bootcamp seems to work fine.

2. If you dont meet this criteria then you will get random crashing of the exe file.

3. Please make sure you have the latest version of itunes installed.

4. backup your iphone contents before even starting the process.

I backed it up, but if everything goes right, will it restore my iPhone, or will it keep all of my info on there?

egraphixstudios
Jul 3, 2009, 01:18 PM
I backed it up, but if everything goes right, will it restore my iPhone, or will it keep all of my info on there?

If everything goes through perfectly then all your existing contents will still be there.

NYR99
Jul 3, 2009, 01:21 PM
If everything goes through perfectly then all your existing contents will still be there.

Thank you. I'm trying it now.

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 01:23 PM
Is it safe to restore phone back to original state via iTunes?

D3lta
Jul 3, 2009, 01:24 PM
Is it safe to restore phone back to original state via iTunes?

Yes, you can. I did it a few times already today.

acm29
Jul 3, 2009, 01:32 PM
Ok I got the picture of the guy holding the iPhone. But that's it nothing has happened yet been about 6 minutes.

Plugged in -Yes
Windows-XP 32 bit
iTunes 8.2 installed
everything backed up.

What to do?

egraphixstudios
Jul 3, 2009, 01:33 PM
Ok I got the picture of the guy holding the iPhone. But that's it nothing has happened yet been about 6 minutes.

Plugged in -Yes
Windows-XP 32 bit
iTunes 8.2 installed
everything backed up.

What to do?

repeat the above process i've listed.

i.e. unplug, switch off iphone and close purplera1n, plug in phone and re-run purplera1n.

ALongoria23
Jul 3, 2009, 01:34 PM
So does the Dev-Team jailbreak work?

Or are they still waiting till 3.1?

NYR99
Jul 3, 2009, 01:35 PM
Wow, that was by far, the easiest jailbreak ever.

Total time, about 3 minutes.

egraphixstudios
Jul 3, 2009, 01:36 PM
Wow, that was by far, the easiest jailbreak ever.

Total time, about 3 minutes.

Its a good feeling when it all works :D

NYR99
Jul 3, 2009, 01:40 PM
Its a good feeling when it all works :D

Yes it is! :D lol. Ive been waiting for a while. I had my 2g jailbroken, then when I got the 3G on launch day, I never ever jailbroke it. It's nice to be jailbroken again.

I just installed five icon dock.

Since Winterboard doesn't work, what else should I install?

atlantatan1
Jul 3, 2009, 01:42 PM
can any one post a how to in step by step for WD Vista.

acm29
Jul 3, 2009, 01:43 PM
repeat the above process i've listed.

i.e. unplug, switch off iphone and close purplera1n, plug in phone and re-run purplera1n.

WORKED !! the guy holding the phone took about 5 minutes then it rebooted. patience is a virtue... well 5 hours later i have cydia.

crex23
Jul 3, 2009, 01:59 PM
This is the beta version right? And the official version comes out Monday? I have Windows Vista 64bit and I followed all the steps, but it doesn't even start the jailbreak, it just says 'Waiting on Phone' which is plugged in. Will the official jailbreak include Vista 64bit, or am I screwed?

Tadow
Jul 3, 2009, 02:00 PM
Has anyone done this successfully using Windows XP in Parallels?

emoo69
Jul 3, 2009, 02:55 PM

2. Close the ra1n app

4. Plug it back in again

5. Re-run the app

THX! it worked

sajjadbuet
Jul 3, 2009, 03:02 PM
Was anyone able to use ultrasn0w?

atlantatan1
Jul 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
I just JB my 3Gs used purplera1n with my WD XP and after down load cydia than put in ultra sn0w and the phone unlock with T-mobile and working great so far.

SteadFast
Jul 3, 2009, 04:52 PM
Does anyone have an idea of when a patch will get pushed to fix winterboard?

LSUtigers03
Jul 3, 2009, 04:59 PM
I just wanted to be sure I have all the files I need for future jailbreaks. I followed iClarified's tutorial and did a dfu restore. I have two files one called iBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu and one called iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu both are 104kb in size. Are these two files all I need?

TSX
Jul 3, 2009, 05:19 PM
I just wanted to be sure I have all the files I need for future jailbreaks. I followed iClarified's tutorial and did a dfu restore. I have two files one called iBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu and one called iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu both are 104kb in size. Are these two files all I need?

Yes those are the files you need, now gaurd them with your life.

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 05:26 PM

wait what?? i did the tutorial for purplera1n and entered in my ECID number..and downloaded that file. What's this all about??

LSUtigers03
Jul 3, 2009, 05:31 PM

I have them saved in four different places. Why are these files so critical to future jailbreaks of the 3GS?

Templex
Jul 3, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks to geohot for the wonderful jailbreak!

I used purplera1n over VMWare Fusion, using my Boot Camp's XP installation and it worked flawlessly. Ran Freeze to install Cydia, then installed OpenSSH and ultrasn0w. SSHed into the phone and removed /Applications/Freeze.app and /var/root/Library/Lockdown/activation_records/wildcard_record.plist (to fix the ultrasn0w unstable signal problem).

All in all, I now have a confirmed flawlessly working jailbroken and unlocked 3GS! :D

wernerc
Jul 3, 2009, 06:31 PM
So purplera1n rocks, from what I understand. Unfortunately, us Mac users of the world are left out in the cold (we have to wait until Monday? WTH??) So here's a long shot: how about someone who's been successful at JBing the 3GS posting a copy of their iPhone backup... sanitize it first, of course - so we don't get any of your personal details - just the glorious ability to run ultrasn0w and all the other great customization programs!

Remember that iTunes backs up your iPhone to username/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup...

So how about it? Anyone willing to share the wealth!?

Chris

Long time reader, 1st time poster...

Knolly
Jul 3, 2009, 06:40 PM
So here's a long shot: how about someone who's been successful at JBing the 3GS posting a copy of their iPhone backup...

That's unfortunately not how it works... The backup does not include the jailbreak data (well, it includes certain settings and such, but it does NOT include Cydia, etc).

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 08:22 PM
wait what?? i did the tutorial for purplera1n and entered in my ECID number..and downloaded that file. What's this all about??

anyone???

blademaster
Jul 3, 2009, 08:44 PM
Im lost why would you put ultrasnow on the phone after you jailbreak it with freeze/purplera1n?

crunkcrumpet
Jul 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
anyone???

GeoHot's explanation (http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/usbdump-huh-how.html)

crunkcrumpet
Jul 3, 2009, 09:22 PM
Im lost why would you put ultrasnow on the phone after you jailbreak it with freeze/purplera1n?

So you can unlock it to use with different carriers. Jailbreaking doesn't mean your phone is unlocked, purplera1n does the jailbreaking, then ultrasn0w does the unlocking once you're jailbroken.

entraik
Jul 3, 2009, 10:39 PM
GeoHot's explanation (http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/usbdump-huh-how.html)

no i understand that.. but someone above me posted the 'dev-team' method.. is that necessary if i already did the geohot method?

zrankin
Jul 3, 2009, 11:35 PM
I jb'd it earlier today ... Super easy but I'm aleady restored... I tried installing a theme associated with wb and crashed it ...

ZR

emoo69
Jul 4, 2009, 01:33 AM
no i understand that.. but someone above me posted the 'dev-team' method.. is that necessary if i already did the geohot method?

I was thinking the same thing.

skasol
Jul 4, 2009, 02:06 AM

I am not sure why you need these files to begin with, I just jailbroke mine with 2 clicks, that's it run purple program and install cydia thru freeze. that's it.

good luck. so what are those ECID files for?

Templex
Jul 4, 2009, 03:40 AM
Geohot has released the RC2 version of purplera1n, fixing the code signing errors which should be good news for people that want winterboard.

redplanet2005
Jul 4, 2009, 09:13 AM
Geohot has released the RC2 version of purplera1n, fixing the code signing errors which should be good news for people that want winterboard.

Winterboard is still not working....

Deamos
Jul 4, 2009, 09:17 AM
Winterboard is still not working..

No winterboard yet, but now that ball is in Saurik's court :-)

Thats from the RC2 patch notes.

skasol
Jul 4, 2009, 09:40 AM
I just JB my 3Gs used purplera1n with my WD XP and after down load cydia than put in ultra sn0w and the phone unlock with T-mobile and working great so far.

this works for sure?

mappyman
Jul 4, 2009, 11:24 AM
I am not sure why you need these files to begin with, I just jailbroke mine with 2 clicks, that's it run purple program and install cydia thru freeze. that's it.

good luck. so what are those ECID files for?

As far as I know I think its so that you can still jailbreak when the hole gets fixed in 3.1 and future updates.