PDA

View Full Version : get rid of norton

Scenicroadways
May 27, 2004, 03:02 AM
someone installed norton utilities, (i know it sucks) onto my ibook G4, so I located all the files and put them in the trash only to find out that I needed to run an uninstall program. Now I am left with a message on bootup and an icon in system prefs. for norton. I want it gone! anyone know how to get rid of it? and if it is taking up resources?

7on
May 27, 2004, 07:10 AM
How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities for Macintosh 7.0 (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2002031315283411?Open&src=&docid=2002042510302711&nsf=num.nsf&view=pfdocs&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=)

annk
May 28, 2004, 02:46 AM
Why does it suck? I'm a soon-to-be-switcher (getting my PB in about 4 weeks), so I've been using PC for the last many years. Norton has saved me many times, the utilities function as well (especially when I messed up an OS upgrade and the utilities gave me the option of resetting to the earlier configuration). I haven't had time to examine virus programs for Mac, but I also thought they are pretty unnecessary. My brother (an experienced Mac-user) tells me that the password requirement for installing/upgrading pretty much keeps viruses from establishing themselves.

Anyway - I thought those who write and spread viruses, only to it to get Bill Gates??

tomf87
May 28, 2004, 07:57 AM
I put Norton Utilities on my iMac back in 2001 and it trashed the OS upon install. No booting at all would occur. You shouldn't need the product anyway.