PDA

View Full Version : HP Releases Classic Calculator iPhone Apps

MacRumors
Jun 26, 2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/26/hp-releases-classic-calculator-iphone-apps/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/06/26/155722-hp_12c.jpg

Macworld reports (http://www.macworld.com/article/141364/2009/06/hpcalcapps.html) on Hewlett Packard's recent release of two iPhone app versions of classic HP calculators, the HP 12C Financial Calculator [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318954345&mt=8), $14.99] and the HP 15C Scientific Calculator [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318956846&mt=8), $29.99]. HP is reportedly also working on an iPhone version of its 12C Platinum calculator, which is expected to be released in early August and priced at $19.99.

While the price points may seem high to some users, the calculator apps offer significant feature sets at prices considerably lower that the corresponding hardware calculators.The $15 HP 12c and $20 HP 12c Platinum provide the same business-focused functions and formulas as the hardware models, and the $30 HP 15c includes all of the original's scientific algorithms and calculation sequences, including matrix, root, and complex-number functions. All three apps are also, like their hardware counterparts, programmable. (The HP 12c and 12c Platinum are still in production; the HP 15c is no longer made, but used models still command high prices.)Several third parties have previously released their own calculator applications emulating the HP classic calculators, but HP's willingness to undertake its own project helps demonstrate that even large companies are seeing opportunities for their products to make their way onto the iPhone.

Article Link: HP Releases Classic Calculator iPhone Apps (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/26/hp-releases-classic-calculator-iphone-apps/)

Randman
Jun 26, 2009, 03:08 PM
$30?!

iLoveMyApple
Jun 26, 2009, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't pay that much for an iPhone app. :rolleyes:

meelash
Jun 26, 2009, 03:17 PM
C'mon HP let's get some of the graphing calculators like either the 48GX or 49G. If we were able to transfer programs directly from the computer to the calculator memory, how awesome would that be?

iSimx
Jun 26, 2009, 03:20 PM
the price!!!...... first why would you make a classic looking calculator app and how can they charge that amount! crazy...

Aron Peterson
Jun 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
Oh great prices. Do they think they're distributing boxed hardware to millions of stores or something?

The ONLY iPhone app that would get that much money from me is a bug free Commodore 64/PSX/N64/Dreamcast emulator with games.

serdaryilmaztr
Jun 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
$30... No Way

besler3035
Jun 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
Um...why? Good to see HP focusing on pointless iPhone apps rather than working on things that actually need to be done (ahem, computer quality/printer quality, for instance).

z4n3
Jun 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
Next APP`s to come out!!!!

1. Dell with a Shares APP

2. Micro$oft with a famous quotes APP from Steve Ballmer (inc. bonus developers video) :eek:

No seriously!!! got to give it to HP to bring this out!! MANY people will find this perfect!!! at least they have the B***S to admit the iPhone is a great platform.

Just changed my views of HP. :rolleyes: :apple:

Pricey BUT!!! we are paying for the functions!!! lets face it the Apple calculator REALLY SUCKS!!! and the retro look is worth EVERY PENNY!!!! CENT!!!! EURO!!! etc. etc.

gkarris
Jun 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, but have you seen how much the REAL ONES go for? :eek:

Highly collectible as well...

NewSc2
Jun 26, 2009, 03:37 PM
the price!!!...... first why would you make a classic looking calculator app and how can they charge that amount! crazy...

I'd go crazy if they *didn't* make it look like the classic HP calculators. The 12C looks like a probable buy for me.

mistertomlinson
Jun 26, 2009, 03:51 PM
Jesus farkin' Christ... I just checked up the 15c on eBay... one was (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hewlett-Packard-hp-15c-Calculator-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ370219147564QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCalculators?hash=item5632c7e12c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50) going for just over $150!!!

DavidLeblond
Jun 26, 2009, 03:55 PM
2. Micro$oft with a famous quotes APP from Steve Ballmer (inc. bonus developers video) :eek:

Microsoft already has at least 2 apps on the app store (Seadragon and Tag Reader.)

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 26, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'd pay $50-$70 for a TI-84 emulator; but a $30 nostalgia app? No way.

z4n3
Jun 26, 2009, 03:59 PM
Microsoft already has at least 2 apps on the app store (Seadragon and Tag Reader.)

IT IS A SAD SAD DAY!!!! to know Micro$oft has iPhone APPs :eek:

(quickly checking out iTunes store to see if it is true!!!!) hehehe

Crotalus_Joe
Jun 26, 2009, 03:59 PM
I would love a 48 graphing version, and would pay $30 for it, heck may pay $45, far cheaper than replacing my 19 year old 48sx that is on its last legs, and far smaller in size :)

When it comes to loyalty, for some of us the HP calculators are just like Apple Macs and iPhones.

Blackheart
Jun 26, 2009, 04:19 PM
A little under half the price of the real one and I can't even use it on standardized tests. No thanks.

Michael73
Jun 26, 2009, 04:36 PM
I have 2 of the classic calculators, 10B and 17B II - both business calculators and the particular versions I have are no longer made. They were quite expensive when they were new but have provided me with years of great service. I'd never part with them. I wish HP would make a calculator app for these. I've carried them to every job I've had for the last 15 years.

Marzzz
Jun 26, 2009, 04:37 PM
I still have and use a 32 S; I could see paying $14.99 for the 15 C, but not $30!

dacreativeguy
Jun 26, 2009, 04:42 PM
This is just like Namco charging $10 for PacMan. HP recouped their R&D money on these calculators 30-40 years ago. How about adding some extra value to take advantage of the iPhone experience instead of just gouging.

pimentoLoaf
Jun 26, 2009, 04:49 PM
Since the 12c is still around for about $80 (http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=ARS25897&history=kehwdb9y|prodPage~15^freeText~hp+12c^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~2^param~return_skus^ret urn_skus~Y), having one entirely in software for $15 is a bargain! :cool:

GekkePrutser
Jun 26, 2009, 04:52 PM
I would really like to see the 16C as an app. It was the only (dedicated) programmer's calculator they ever made.

There is, however, actually a free app out there that already emulates the 16C (very well so) but it requires jailbreak. It was actually already out before the app store was ever announced :)

But if there was an official HP version I might use it instead.

jlokanis
Jun 26, 2009, 05:15 PM
This is a better app that really takes advantage of the iPhone/iTouch interface:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311433261&mt=

jbcaro
Jun 26, 2009, 05:21 PM
HP 15c, one of the best RPN calcs ever made. I still have mine from school in the mid '80's. Still works like a charm.

iphones4evry1
Jun 26, 2009, 05:54 PM
Awesome for HP. Although the iPhone comes with a calculator, if an individual is used to using a specific layout of calculator, then they would want the same version on their phone. As a scientist/engineer myself, having an unfamiliar layout can slow speed by half, and this impacts productivity big time. It is necessary to have a layout that the individual is familiar with.

I'm sure school kids would buy the graphing calculator or if HP or Texas Instruments began offering the TI-83 ... except, teachers will probably not allow the iPhone during an exam. So, in the end students will probably need to have a separate HP graphing calculator.

BUT, for those of us that are no longer in school, this would be an excellent App. :):):)
I use the scientific calculator that comes on the iPhone (landscape) all the time.
It's extremely valuable to always be able to whip out a scientific calculator. :D
Fortunately for me, the iPhone calculator is similar enough to the TI-30 that I don't need a separate App. However, I would be willing to pay $50 for a TI-Voyage200 graphing calculator App!!!!

mrkowalski
Jun 26, 2009, 06:03 PM
My HP 15C and HP 16C are still my primary calculators. I already own one of the iPhone apps that attempts to emulate these calculators; and it does a pretty good job. However, it lacks certain advance functions, does not allow for multiple variables, and has no programmability. I will be very interested in seeing what the HP iPhone app provides. If it provides full functionality, I might buy it. The price is a concern. If the price were $10 lower, I would not even hesitate.

JeffTL
Jun 26, 2009, 06:04 PM
Would anyone who has bought the 12c be willing to compare it to RLM's version? Since this is new, I've been using RLM's 12C Lite since I got my iPhone last October as my principal calculator when I don't have my real 12c with me.

ppdix
Jun 26, 2009, 06:53 PM
Yeah, large companies are trying to cash in on the iPhone craze. Who in the world would want to pay $15 to have a virtual cal?
Might as well get the real thing on ebay for less than $30... :cool:
http://shop.ebay.com:80/items/?_adv=1&_nkw=hp+12c&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=hp+12c&_oexkw=&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

This is BS!

wizard
Jun 26, 2009, 07:17 PM
I think many of you are going overboard here, the price is only slightly stiff.

What you have to realize is that if HP emulates it caculators completely this is not a minor undertaking. A software package that can emulate with out error will be valuable to many.

As to the emulated hardware they really aren't outdated as many imply. For many they have all the functionality and accuracy needed. You have to remember HP calculators where more accurate than the computers of the day when they first came out.

Now having used emulators and Apples supplied caculator on the iPhone I have to say the combo isn't exactly endearing for extensive use. It's all about that keypad and the quality HP use to put into those keyboards. Without a doubt the Touch screen is the single biggest detraction from calculator emulators.

Dave

rstone3
Jun 26, 2009, 08:01 PM
HP 15c, one of the best RPN calcs ever made. I still have mine from school in the mid '80's. Still works like a charm.

Ditto, mine still works great - didn't know they had gotten so valuable, though. If they drop the price $10 I'll buy for nostalgia alone!

jodelli
Jun 26, 2009, 08:39 PM
HP calculators were the gold standard in the pre and early PC era, not unlike high end Macs today. Included was the premium price.

Thing is, if they could be visually emulated in software in a package the size of an iPhone then AFAIC the price isn't out of line.

I also have used the HP 41C and TI 83 in the past and both were handy gadgets.

Devilishly Good
Jun 26, 2009, 08:40 PM
I still have my 11C. Why don't they make an emulator of that? And yes, for the price these awesome calculators are going for on places like ebay, this isn't too bad a price if it's something you use all the time.

RPN, ftw!

iMacmatician
Jun 26, 2009, 08:50 PM
This is a better app that really takes advantage of the iPhone/iTouch interface:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311433261&mt=:eek:

That is not worth $9.99.

It's worth more.

When will handheld calculators get this? :rolleyes:

jedijoe
Jun 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
Reverse Polish Notation!!

pimentoLoaf
Jun 26, 2009, 09:58 PM
I still use my HP-32sII for practically everything.

Bought a HP-48sx a few years ago at Calculator Source (http://www.calculatorsource.com/discontinued.html) just before HP discontinued the model. In retrospect, the gx model, with the plug-in modules, would've been a better buy.

Love to see an HP emulator of both!

pubwvj
Jun 26, 2009, 11:16 PM
Looks great.
Less filling.
$15 to $30.
Get real.
What a joke.

Apparently HP isn't aware of the fact that it no longer costs them much money, as in virtually $0, to make a App on a per unit basis. There are plenty of other good calculators out there, including one built into the iPhone. No deal.

branjosef
Jun 26, 2009, 11:36 PM
Oh and another app I wont be downloading.

The app store ....bringing thousands of useless apps to you each and everyday because at apple, its not a quality, Its about quantity.

MikeL
Jun 26, 2009, 11:52 PM
Awesome for HP. Although the iPhone comes with a calculator, if an individual is used to using a specific layout of calculator, then they would want the same version on their phone. As a scientist/engineer myself, having an unfamiliar layout can slow speed by half, and this impacts productivity big time. It is necessary to have a layout that the individual is familiar with.

Exactly. What 90% of the posters here don't seem to understand is that this isn't targeted at them. It's for the people who own and use these calculators on a regular basis, know how to use them, and are very comfortable with them. For that group of users this is ideal.

It's obviously not targeted at anyone else.

I think this is really cool. It's a recognition of how pervasive the iPhone has become, even among the slightly older, more professional crowd.

MacUser1
Jun 26, 2009, 11:54 PM
Reverse Polish Notation!!

:D I work with some fellow analysts who still swear by their 12C.

I think some people were going overboard in the beginning of the thread. It's not that expensive, at all, for what you get.

pubwvj
Jun 27, 2009, 12:07 AM
Exactly. What 90% of the posters here don't seem to understand is that this isn't targeted at them. It's for the people who own and use these calculators on a regular basis, know how to use them, and are very comfortable with them. For that group of users this is ideal.

It's obviously not targeted at anyone else.

I think this is really cool. It's a recognition of how pervasive the iPhone has become, even among the slightly older, more professional crowd.

I have those calculators.
Why would I bother to waste money buying for such high prices the same thing?
Now, if they offered them for 99, yes, I would do it, but not for $15 or more. Ridiculous.

Right market. Great product. Wrong price.

pubwvj
Jun 27, 2009, 12:08 AM
The app store ....bringing thousands of useless apps to you each and everyday because at apple, its not a quality, Its about quantity.

Hmm... Killing the messenger are you? Apple merely offers HP the opportunity to make an fool of itself by offering over priced old products. If you can't tell the difference then that is your problem. Frankly, I don't want Apple censoring what is available, just categorizing and making it easy to find.

branjosef
Jun 27, 2009, 12:56 AM
Hmm... Killing the messenger are you? Apple merely offers HP the opportunity to make an fool of itself by offering over priced old products. If you can't tell the difference then that is your problem. Frankly, I don't want Apple censoring what is available, just categorizing and making it easy to find.

Your right. I dont mean to imply that apple is to blame. I just think alot of the apps on there are pointless. I don't know where censoring came from. My comment was more directed at the "type" of apps available. They do have alot of apps and that is a big selling point of the app store, but when you get down to it, there isnt much quality to alot of them. There must be over 100 "apps" that are just one touch calling icons that some guy made and instead of lumping them together like some developers, he sells them individually for .99 . I do think they should loosen their restrictions so we can get some really cool apps on there. I think anyone who seriously uses a scientific calculator (I am one of them) would carry one around and not use one on the iphone, but who am I to judge.

This app is a bit gimmicky to me.

thevofl
Jun 27, 2009, 01:31 AM
I'm sure school kids would buy the graphing calculator or if HP or Texas Instruments began offering the TI-83 ... except, teachers will probably not allow the iPhone during an exam. So, in the end students will probably need to have a separate HP graphing calculator.

As a College Math Instructor, on day one I take out my iPhone and talk about how wonderful it is as a phone and that there are many wonderful applications. But then I say that it is a remarkable phone, and phones are not allowed on tests. I don't care if it has a calculator on it. It is still a phone.

Jeonat
Jun 27, 2009, 03:00 AM
This is good for HP... their calculators are still seriously good and although something of a niche market, incredibly useful if you have need for them. This is why they're fetching so much on eBay... you can't deny there is a market for them!

So I think this is a good thing - if the software is functionally identical to the way the calculator works in terms of features and so on - then yes, it's totally worth the money.

People seem to see calculators as something that should just be "there" and "free". I agree that a bog standard scientific calculator should be included, as it is, but if you have a need for the additional programmability and functionality that this offers, I think it's worth paying for.

Maybe they should have polished the interface, but nothing wrong with their retro look.

This gets a serious thumbs up from me. Good work.

MikeL
Jun 27, 2009, 03:06 AM
I have those calculators.
Why would I bother to waste money buying for such high prices the same thing?
Now, if they offered them for 99, yes, I would do it, but not for $15 or more. Ridiculous.

Right market. Great product. Wrong price.

Heh. Why? Because--get this--you're probably more likely to have your iPhone on you at any given moment than that calculator. And for most people, having it all on their phone is much more convenient than carrying two devices.

You don't understand the market. The people who would use this--you don't appear to be one--will buy at the price listed. It's a small market. If 2,000 copies are sold at $15 that's a far better return than 20,000 copies at 99 cents. Few people who don't know what the original product is would buy it. Those who don't have an existing comfort level with HP's calculators just would not buy it en masse. More user-friendly, intuitive solutions would appeal to them.

This is a narrow market. Sales will be low, by the very nature of the product. The software will appeal to those who already know HP's products. Beyond that... not so much. That's why HP chose to keep the functionality and the look unchanged. There's also the understanding that these are not intuitive products. Set the bar at 99 cents, and there'll be a 2-star average on the reviews because of people who didn't have a clue as to what they were buying.

I know you'll strongly disagree, but that's just due to your lack of understanding. Nobody here has the time to teach you what you would need to know in order to understand.

sushi
Jun 27, 2009, 03:18 AM
Apparently HP isn't aware of the fact that it no longer costs them much money, as in virtually $0, to make a App on a per unit basis.
Uh, software development does take resources such as programmers, developer kits, computers, etc. It's not free.

This is good for HP... their calculators are still seriously good and although something of a niche market, incredibly useful if you have need for them. This is why they're fetching so much on eBay... you can't deny there is a market for them!

So I think this is a good thing - if the software is functionally identical to the way the calculator works in terms of features and so on - then yes, it's totally worth the money.

People seem to see calculators as something that should just be "there" and "free". I agree that a bog standard scientific calculator should be included, as it is, but if you have a need for the additional programmability and functionality that this offers, I think it's worth paying for.

Maybe they should have polished the interface, but nothing wrong with their retro look.

This gets a serious thumbs up from me. Good work.
I wonder how they will compete with the other HP12C emulators.

RLM and others decent copies if you will that work well.

You don't understand the market.
If I didn't already have a 12C emulator (actually 2 of them), I would purchase the HP one. I may still get it.

Thinking about the 15C. Might get it as well.

Glad to see big companies getting involved in app development. :)

soLoredd
Jun 27, 2009, 05:30 AM
Fantastic. These HP calculators, when they came out, were pretty advanced and very sought after. I still have the 15C my dad bought when it came out. It's my favorite memory of him - always bought tech stuff that he utilized about 50% of it's potential. Has a slip cover case and is in mint condition. Hell, my real estate broker still uses hers. These aren't run-of-the-mill items.

I'll get the 15C to use. I would love for a TI-82 graphing calculator.

Mr. Giver '94
Jun 27, 2009, 05:52 AM
HP is doing what they do best, making calculator apps... :rolleyes:

Spanky Deluxe
Jun 27, 2009, 07:32 AM
I don't think anyone apart from people after nostalgia will be purchasing these. Certainly no one that actually does calculations for a living. After all, most people who do the kind of things now that were done by people with these calculators decades ago will be sitting by computers with software like Matlab on, which is a zillion times easier to use and more powerful.

tarkeybear
Jun 27, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hi folks,
I went to iTunes after seeing this post, then searched "15c" and found the HP version (for $30) AND another version that has been around a little longer for $20! The $20 version is published by Thomas Fors LLC and has good reviews.

In addition, Thomas Fors has the 12c for $15 (no competition against HP) but he also has ,

the 16c Programmers calculator! I have never used one of these myself, but I saw at least one other poster pining away for one of these! :D

Review for Thomas Fors calculators are good, and it looks like he may have put in a little more functionality than HP did.
I like the fact that he has replicated the reference information that used to be on the back of the original calculators, nice touch!

I don't think Thomas Fors includes a manual, and instead points you to a site that sells scanned versions of old calculator manuals.
One iTunes reviewer says HP does include a manual, but that it had typos and covered aproximately 1/3rd of the original manual. I have no experience to confirm or deny.

Nice to have ALL of these classic workhorses available for us folks who grew up with them in the 80s along with the original Mac! :)

sushi
Jun 27, 2009, 09:21 AM
I would venture to say, that the HP versions emulate/simulate their real counterparts exactly where as the other HP calculator copies do not.

The reason is that the HP versions use the same algorithms as the real HP calculators. My guess is that the other versions do not so the answers may vary at times. With the HP versions, the answers will be the same. That's worth something for those who need the accuracy.

grayskies
Jun 27, 2009, 09:41 AM
I've wanted a ti emulator of the 89/voyager for some time.

I have a voyager (which I love), but I figured with the advantage of the iPhone touch screen it would look nice. Plus, I always have my iPhone with me. Is the iPhone capable of running a CAS?

Foxglove9
Jun 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
As cool as I find that, I would never pay that much for it.

However, if they made Nintendo Game & Watch's on the Touch, I would definitely pay to have a bunch of those.

DotComCTO
Jun 27, 2009, 10:25 AM
The HP pricing is nuts. Take a look at the HP 10bII, 11c, 12c (classic and platinum) from R.L.M. on the app store. I've been using their 12c version for $4.99, and it works extremely well.

If you're looking for the 15c, the one from Thomas Fors is $19.99 ... $10 less than HP.

I suspect HP's pricing will come down not too long from now...

:cool:

--DotComCTO

P.S. Agree on seeing HP-48 emulation!

wizard
Jun 27, 2009, 11:03 AM
Oh and another app I wont be downloading.

Good for you! Have you stepped back to consider that just maybe the app isn't for you?

Now that is by far the biggest load of crap I've seen in a long time on this forum. First; Apple isn't bringing the apps to app store developers are. Those developers are happy to be there everyday because for many it is what pays for the bread and butter. Second; the apps aren't that expensive if you consider that HP is supportting them. Yes I said supporting because some people depend on their calculators to produce correct answers. Third; like it or not HP was always considered the quality leader in calculators.

Dave

Crotalus_Joe
Jun 27, 2009, 11:44 AM
I don't think anyone apart from people after nostalgia will be purchasing these. Certainly no one that actually does calculations for a living. After all, most people who do the kind of things now that were done by people with these calculators decades ago will be sitting by computers with software like Matlab on, which is a zillion times easier to use and more powerful.

Not all of us that use advanced calculators are tied to our desks all day. there any been many times that i have been away from the office and would have liked to have my 48sx to use. I dont always have a laptop, computer or calculator available but i almost always have my iPhone with me.

Right now i am using a free RPN calculator because i "think" in RPN and it is far easier for me to use than a regular calculator. I think the power and functionalilty of the 48 or 49 series calculators in the size of the iPhone is well worth the price for people like me who need and would use it.

unkle77
Jun 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
i personally think this is a great deal.

12C retails for $69.99, here they are giving you the calculator for nearly 75% off... what is there to complain about?

rickdollar
Jun 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
The difference between these apps and their hardware counterparts is that the hardware will be with you for many years to come. The apps will probably be operational for a few years. Who knows. There are no guarantees. I've had my 12c for almost exactly 20 years. I suppose if I used the 12c on a daily basis it would be a no brainer. But for me, I'll stick with the original.
It's funny what the person said earlier about it being $.99 and having a two star rating. That's exactly what wouldd happen. I can see the reviews now now. "Stupid. This calculator doesn't have an equals sign. I can't even get it to add. What a POS!"

anubis
Jun 27, 2009, 01:28 PM
Let me know when Wolfram releases a full Mathematica app, Maplesoft releases a full Maple app, and Mathworks releases a full MATLAB app. Any of those would be worth $30 or more. Not some crappy financial calculator. (Although, I do know lots of people, especially accountant and financial types, who are obsessed with those HP calculators.)

HeadForTheHills
Jun 27, 2009, 01:46 PM
I'm still using my physical HP-15C from time to time and I really hope HP release a new hardware version of it so i can keep one at home and one at work.

In it's day it was the best engineering calculator that could be used in exams ( i.e. no alpha-numeric capabilities ) and provide complex number and matrix functions ( even complex 2x3 matrices for solving simple electrical circuits) that remains it's unique selling point.

There are better ipod/phone options for much less, such as the HP-41CX emulator. So I will not pay $30 for the ipod version.

The clear message I want to send to HP is stop being so greedy and charge appropriately (~$10).
There are lots of HP-15C simulators out there as the ROM was essentially abandon-ware only months ago.

Bryan Bowler
Jun 27, 2009, 08:06 PM
How silly. These prices are absolutely ridiculous. I find it amusing that a company would even go forward with something that is destined to fail.

Oh wait...Microsoft does it all the time. My bad.

mgamber
Jun 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
IT IS A SAD SAD DAY!!!! to know Micro$oft has iPhone APPs :eek:

(quickly checking out iTunes store to see if it is true!!!!) hehehe

Why? If it wasn't for Microsoft Office, there wouldn't be a decent office suite for the Mac. It's been argued that Office is why OS X still exists. And being all indignant doesn't make it less true.

pimentoLoaf
Jun 28, 2009, 12:28 AM

Nostalgia was not on my mind when I bought both apps. RPN is far easier to slam equations through than any algebraic model. And since both are programmable, they make for a quick-'n'-dirty way of figuring things. (And when you hold the iPT or iPh vertically, the display changes to a simple six function calculator with store and recall.)

Matlab (http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/) and Mathematica (http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/index.html) may be the choice of professional engineers, but there are many others who simply do not need that kind of power.

branjosef
Jun 28, 2009, 12:43 AM
Good for you! Have you stepped back to consider that just maybe the app isn't for you?

Now that is by far the biggest load of crap I've seen in a long time on this forum. First; Apple isn't bringing the apps to app store developers are. Those developers are happy to be there everyday because for many it is what pays for the bread and butter. Second; the apps aren't that expensive if you consider that HP is supportting them. Yes I said supporting because some people depend on their calculators to produce correct answers. Third; like it or not HP was always considered the quality leader in calculators.

Dave

HP produces good calculators-You are correct. This is just an app I find useless- deal with it DAVE !!

joeblough
Jun 28, 2009, 02:43 AM
does anyone here understand the lineage of the various 10C apps that have been available for the iPhone over the years?

there were 2 jailbreak apps, or rather, a family of jailbreak apps for each type of calculator, and a different app that came a bit later that was an all-in-one (11C-16C) solution.

i think the family of apps became the Thomas Fors version that's on the app store. the other one was hosted on google code (hpvoyageur). that app apparently was rejected from the app store, and furthermore google took down the project page on a DMCA violation.

now what i don't understand is, assuming HP filed the DMCA violation, why are the thomas fors apps okay and hpvoyageur is not? i can only guess that the thomas fors apps are reverse engineered, and the hpvoyageur is using an emulator + the roms from the original calculators.

i have to agree that the pricing is steep. if HP did an all-in one 10 series app with 12C, 15C and 16C, i'd gladly pay what they are asking for the 15C app.

HeadForTheHills
Jun 28, 2009, 07:23 AM
i have to agree that the pricing is steep. if HP did an all-in one 10 series app with 12C, 15C and 16C, i'd gladly pay what they are asking for the 15C app.

I'm with you on the 3 calculators app bundle. At $30 would be a hit.
The HP 12, 15 and 16 are individually highly specialized calculators with very little overlap ( Business, Engineering and Bit-Bashing ).
As well as a real HP-15C I have a HP-16C, but never bought the HP12C.

joeblough
Jun 28, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm with you on the 3 calculators app bundle. At $30 would be a hit.
The HP 12, 15 and 16 are individually highly specialized calculators with very little overlap ( Business, Engineering and Bit-Bashing ).
As well as a real HP-15C I have a HP-16C, but never bought the HP12C.

yeah, i have 2x11C, and 2x12C. i've always wanted a 16C but they are so expensive.

anyway i don't expect much downward price pressure on the official apps - the kind of people that use these calculators can probably afford the $30 and HP probably thinks the pricing is a bargain compared to the real calculator.

pimentoLoaf
Jun 28, 2009, 06:21 PM
Didn't TI make a programmer calculator at some point?

I can't imagine HP being the only one.

joeblough
Jun 28, 2009, 07:49 PM
Didn't TI make a programmer calculator at some point?

I can't imagine HP being the only one.

maybe, but the thing is once you start using an RPN calculator, you'll never go back to an infix calculator. so it doesnt matter if TI made one or not ;)

sushi
Jun 28, 2009, 07:58 PM
maybe, but the thing is once you start using an RPN calculator, you'll never go back to an infix calculator. so it doesnt matter if TI made one or not ;)
That's true.

RPN rules! :)

DotComCTO
Jun 28, 2009, 09:56 PM
i personally think this is a great deal.

12C retails for $69.99, here they are giving you the calculator for nearly 75% off... what is there to complain about?

The price. There are other options in the app store that have been delivering these specific calculators for quite some time...and at a *much* lower price. The 12c calculators from R.L.M. sell for $4.99. I've been using it for ages and it is spot on.

Again, I'm betting on a lower price from HP in the not too distant future.

--DotComCTO

DotComCTO
Jun 28, 2009, 10:03 PM
does anyone here understand the lineage of the various 10C apps that have been available for the iPhone over the years?

there were 2 jailbreak apps, or rather, a family of jailbreak apps for each type of calculator, and a different app that came a bit later that was an all-in-one (11C-16C) solution.

i think the family of apps became the Thomas Fors version that's on the app store. the other one was hosted on google code (hpvoyageur). that app apparently was rejected from the app store, and furthermore google took down the project page on a DMCA violation.

now what i don't understand is, assuming HP filed the DMCA violation, why are the thomas fors apps okay and hpvoyageur is not? i can only guess that the thomas fors apps are reverse engineered, and the hpvoyageur is using an emulator + the roms from the original calculators.

I've been following the 10c apps for a long time. I believe that Thomas Fors must have paid some licensing fee to HP for the use of the HP ROMs in his apps. This is why he had to sell them at a higher price than he had wanted (which he mentioned on the Google code site). Personally, I got *very* lucky as there was another guy who put all the 10c HP calculators on the app store for free (it was removed within a few days of the posting).

Having said that, by the time that guy did that, I already had the 12c from R.L.M. - which, as I said, is well worth it. I'm going to hazard a guess the the other guys are not using the HP ROMs as a basis for the calculators. This is probably the reason some of these guys needed a few iterations to get the app working as expected.

--DotComCTO

dangleheart
Jun 29, 2009, 01:03 AM
I think HP is pricing it too high for the $1.99 iPhone/iTouch crowd. Less than 10 would be perfect. In fact, one can make a case then for buying a 3G iphone instead of the hw calculator. ;) With the current pricing, it is not as attractive an argument.

Does wolfram-alpha have plans to release an iPhone app with their mathematica package. That would be very cool and a good competitor to HP since mathematica does a lot more than this calculator.

RedTomato
Jun 29, 2009, 06:10 AM
I don't think it's overpriced.

This is a highly specialist application, aimed at people who have been using these calculators for decades, and who probably earn far more than most of the people who have been complaining on this thread.

High quality professional tools are always expensive, and often don't look as shiny as the consumer version. Sometimes it's not clear why something is expensive, but the professionals who make them and use them know (or should do).

If the full OED ever comes out for iPhone, with a workable interface and full etymology, I'd gladly put down 40-50 for it. As it is, I make do with WordBook which has etymologies for some of its definitions.

If you don't need the OED, there are plenty of free online dictionaries, but don't tell me they're the same as the OED.

Lara F
Jun 29, 2009, 06:56 AM
There actually is a full OED, unless it's missing something I'm not aware of:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307233030&mt=8

If the link doesn't work search for Oxford Deluxe by Enfour (it's 33). The reviews on the US iTunes store are better btw...not sure what's up with that.

RedTomato
Jun 29, 2009, 08:58 AM
There actually is a full OED, unless it's missing something I'm not aware of:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307233030&mt=8

If the link doesn't work search for Oxford Deluxe by Enfour (it's 33). The reviews on the US iTunes store are better btw...not sure what's up with that.

It's not the OED. It's the Oxford Concise Dictionary or something similar to it - clearly they are hoping people like you will buy it thinking it is the full OED. In their defence, they do say say "Oxford's largest single-volume English Dictionary" in the first paragraph of the review.

I'm tempted by it, but I'd like to save my money for the full OED.

Niko03
Jun 29, 2009, 09:52 AM

It's not totally nostalgia. In my briefcase I still carry my HP10B and for those Financial calculations that it excels at it is far more easy and quicker to use than any computer. I can have my answer before I could even boot my computer.

Now that I have an iPhone I hate having to carry another device and only lug around my 10B since it's in the briefcase.

Also to replace the batteries in the 10B, (3 button cells), costs at least $12.00, so the prices are not out of line. (I'm also tired of people complaining about any price above $.99, not that you are, crap you can't even get a candy bar for $.99 these days.

I admit the apps are limited in appeal and will only sell to those that use those particular products, but for them it is a sweet deal.

I doubt they expect to sell them to an audience beyond those that already own said devices. I for one am holding out for the HP 10B emulator.

joeblough
Jun 29, 2009, 04:31 PM
I don't think it's overpriced.

This is a highly specialist application, aimed at people who have been using these calculators for decades, and who probably earn far more than most of the people who have been complaining on this thread.

High quality professional tools are always expensive, and often don't look as shiny as the consumer version. Sometimes it's not clear why something is expensive, but the professionals who make them and use them know (or should do).

yes, i can certainly afford to buy this app at almost any price, but i have deep pockets and short arms, as they say. i can't help feeling like a sucker for shelling out so much money for something that is not truly as functional as the original (i cant feel the keys, and it is smaller than the real calculator.)

also using matlab for the kinds of things that i would use a 15C for would be like using a crane to kill a fly, to quote the flaming lips. the 15C or the iphone fits in my pocket and has a single-finger friendly interface; matlab does not.