PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 17" and bad airport card???

robotrenegade
May 27, 2004, 12:30 PM
Everyonce and a while I'll lose my signal to my basestation under heavy traffic. The thing is I won't be able to see the basestation unless i restart me powerbook. None of my other computers lose a signal so I know its just this one. Any ideas?

wrldwzrd89
May 27, 2004, 12:33 PM
Everyonce and a while I'll lose my signal to my basestation under heavy traffic. The thing is I won't be able to see the basestation unless i restart me powerbook. None of my other computers lose a signal so I know its just this one. Any ideas?
I have this problem on my iMac and it's just as annoying!!! I do have the option of using Ethernet when AirPort decides to act up - I've actually been primarily using Ethernet since AirPort is so finicky.

robotrenegade
May 27, 2004, 12:35 PM
I have this problem on my iMac and it's just as annoying!!! I do have the option of using Ethernet when AirPort decides to act up - I've actually been primarily using Ethernet since AirPort is so finicky.

Thanks but I really like my basestation for I have multi stuff hooked up.

Mord
May 27, 2004, 12:48 PM
your avatar is scary robotrenagade it looks just like me :confused:

wrldwzrd89
May 27, 2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks but I really like my basestation for I have multi stuff hooked up.
Huh??? I don't understand. Did you accidentally quote my post? I don't see how my previous post and your post are related.

robotrenegade
May 27, 2004, 01:41 PM
I need help, please. :D

mcadam
May 27, 2004, 02:51 PM
I have a 17" to and have problems with airport to. Lots of people do I've found out...

Some claim the that the software airport 3.4 has a bug some that this have been fixed with 3.4.1 ! But I have been recommended to go back to 3.2 (don't think i will though).

And then check that the antenna cable fits in the card as it should...

and that's all I can do I'm afraid...

But since theres so many with these problems I'm beginning to wonder if it's the hardware that could be better?!?!

Wyrm
May 27, 2004, 07:45 PM

What basestation to you have? Is your lan b/g or just b or just g?
What OS version are you using; is it patched to the latest?
Is there another computer that is the same as yours that doesn't have this problem?

All I can say right now is you shouldn't have this problem if other people don't, and you shouldn't have to restart your Mac to get it to work (that is sooooo Windows). :rolleyes:

-Wyrm

robotrenegade
May 28, 2004, 07:58 AM
What basestation to you have? Is your lan b/g or just b or just g?
What OS version are you using; is it patched to the latest?
Is there another computer that is the same as yours that doesn't have this problem?

All I can say right now is you shouldn't have this problem if other people don't, and you shouldn't have to restart your Mac to get it to work (that is sooooo Windows). :rolleyes:

-Wyrm

I'm sorry to say this but i am always uptodate, always use apple (basestation) but no I don't have another powerbook 17 but I have a G5 and a my boyfriend has his ibook and they never get this problem.

Wyrm
May 28, 2004, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry to say this but i am always uptodate, always use apple (basestation) but no I don't have another powerbook 17 but I have a G5 and a my boyfriend has his ibook and they never get this problem.

No need to be sorry... it's a detective process to determine what's wrong by the process of elimination. Ok - so Apple Airport Extreme latest firmware (I assume?).
Oddly enough, version tracker Link (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12531&page=10)
Has some comments where this update actually worsened connectivity. Did you always have this problem or is it recent (ie from this update)?

Ok, can you get this drop happen near the G5? (which has no problem) Since 802.11b/g is radio it can be blocked by steel structures, or otherwise common things like ovens, fridges, tvs, etc... maybe it is the location that you are using the powerbook that is causing the problems?

Can you not turn airport off and on again to pick up the network's ssid?

You could use a wifi network strength tool to see if your hardware is picking up the signal.

You also might try swapping the wifi cards (assuming both are miniPCI) between working computers. If the problem follows the card, bingo!

-Wyrm