PDA

View Full Version : No surround when playing HD movie on ATV?

Keebler
Jun 27, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Folks,

I have my ATV connected via HDMI to my Sony receiver (http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1005425&navigationPath=n45940n32100n46020)

The receiver is connected to my Panny 50".

The problem: no surround sound (nothing from rear speakers) when playing rented HD movies from Itunes. Unless I'm wrong (possible?), these movies should be 5.1 right?

My blue 'multi-channel decoding' light is all lit up, the wee diagram shows all 5 speakers (I don't have 7.1), but nothing comes out of the speakers.

Now here's the kicker - when the ATV comes on (before playing a movie), I get sound from all the speakers, but as soon as I play a movie (in this case "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - nada from the rears.

This has happened for a few other HD movies - in fact, not one plays sound from the rears.

Any thoughts? I've looked through the receiver manual and everything seems bang on.

Cheers,
keebler

Keebler
Jun 28, 2009, 02:34 PM
Bumpity bump bump bump? :)

MacsRgr8
Jul 2, 2009, 03:17 PM
Not sure...

But sometimes the receiver "detects" Dolby Digital sound, and light up all 5.1 speakers, but it can be that only F-L and F-R are used (happens with HDTV a lot too).

But, I you reboot the TV, and when you see the cool animation, do you hear the full surround then (it is short, but noticeable..)?

Keebler
Jul 2, 2009, 03:25 PM
Not sure...

But sometimes the receiver "detects" Dolby Digital sound, and light up all 5.1 speakers, but it can be that only F-L and F-R are used (happens with HDTV a lot too).

But, I you reboot the TV, and when you see the cool animation, do you hear the full surround then (it is short, but noticeable..)?

thanks! I did reboot, but I think the simplest thing I did was ensure my subwoofer was on. Believe it or not, I think that was causing the lack of 5.1. not sure why, but i just rented inkheart for the kids and it sounded fine.

Thanks!
Keebler

MacsRgr8
Jul 2, 2009, 03:53 PM
Cool!

Have fun! :)