PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a Power Mac (very n00bish question)

Cam42
Jun 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
Okay, my friend is giving me an older powermac, although I'm not sure which model it is.
This will be my first Mac, wondering if it's possible at all to replace the motherboard with something that'll support an intel processor? Like a Core2duo? and still be able to run OSX? Sorry if I'm overlooking something completely stupid, but I'm new to Apple computers

r.j.s
Jun 28, 2009, 09:24 PM
No, not really. You'd have to replace pretty much every component in order to get an Intel chip in there.

Cam42
Jun 28, 2009, 09:45 PM
Okay, I looked at another thread and noticed the differences on the insides. heh.
How up-to-date could this machine get? I read that snow leopard isn't going to support the PPC architecture, but what will?

dacreativeguy
Jun 28, 2009, 09:52 PM
Okay, I looked at another thread and noticed the differences on the insides. heh.
How up-to-date could this machine get? I read that snow leopard isn't going to support the PPC architecture, but what will?

Leopard supports pre intel processors. Snow Leopard will not.

300D
Jun 28, 2009, 09:53 PM
You're stuck with 10.4 or 10.5 no matter what you upgrade to.

r.j.s
Jun 28, 2009, 09:57 PM
You're stuck with 10.4 or 10.4 no matter what you upgrade to.

I think you mean 10.4 or 10.5 ...

Cam42
Jun 28, 2009, 09:58 PM
I think it's a G4 model.
Does anyone know if it uses IDE or SATA drives?

Shake 'n' Bake
Jun 28, 2009, 10:02 PM
I think it's a G4 model.
Does anyone know if it uses IDE or SATA drives?

IDE. Max 500 GB.

I've got a "Digital Audio" Power Mac and I've done a fair bit of poking around in it.

RAM is SDRAM, I've popped in some DDR2 (a type of SDRAM), and that works fine.

Cam42
Jun 28, 2009, 10:09 PM
Although I'm very new to Macs, I am nowhere near unexperienced in hardware and taking apart/putting together computers. I'll probably max this thing out (hardware wise) in a few days.

Dr.Pants
Jun 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
Well, good luck to you, mate. There's a bunch of PowerMac upgrades, but a lot of them are really picky. A lot of upgrades require compliance in hardware.

The best thing you can do is start with your model identifier, and go from there. :apple: to "About this Mac" to "More Info" and "model identifier" should be on the first page you see. Then using MacTracker, you can probably figure out the actual model name (Yikes, MDD, etc).

Shake 'n' Bake
Jun 29, 2009, 10:53 AM
I should probably revise my last statement. The maximum size for an IDE HDD is 500 GB.

The maximum drive size in any PowerMac before the Quicksilver 2002 is 128 GB. You can get around this by getting a new ATA controller. If it is a white/silver, then it is a QS, but not necessarily a QS 2002. Anything that is blue, is before the QS. Find your model identifier and use MacTracker (http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/) to figure out what you've got.

ian.maffett
Jun 29, 2009, 11:00 AM
Give Mac Tracker a shot - it'll certainly shed some light on what you have and what you can do with it.

http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

As for upgrades, you're pretty limited - it's not like a PC... not at all. :0)

lannister80
Jun 29, 2009, 12:35 PM
IDE. Max 500 GB.

I've got a "Digital Audio" Power Mac and I've done a fair bit of poking around in it.

RAM is SDRAM, I've popped in some DDR2 (a type of SDRAM), and that works fine.

I have an MDD G4 and I have a 750GB IDE drive in there, along with a 500GB and a 320GB. Makes a great server for media/DNS/a few other random things.

Shake 'n' Bake
Jun 29, 2009, 12:36 PM
I have an MDD G4 and I have a 750GB IDE drive in there, along with a 500GB and a 320GB. Makes a great server for media/DNS/a few other random things.

Where'd you get that HDD?