PDA

View Full Version : iPhone backup: what does it actually backup?

daveishere
Jun 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hi,

I've searched these forums for the information i want but i didn't really find anything specific to what i'm asking.

Basically what i wanna know is what the iPhone backup thing when you sync the iPhone with iTunes backs up?

Does it make an exact image of your iPhone byte for byte?

Does it backup your SMS messages and app-specific content (like SimCity saved games, for example)?

any info would be appreciated!

Cheers!

iGuardian
Jun 29, 2009, 01:50 PM
I know it backs up SMS for sure. As for app specific, I think so, but I can't be sure...

From my experience backing up my iPhone and then restoring from a back up usually makes a carbon-copy of the previous iPhone. I've never noticed any change.

psywzrd
Jun 29, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi,

I've searched these forums for the information i want but i didn't really find anything specific to what i'm asking.

Basically what i wanna know is what the iPhone backup thing when you sync the iPhone with iTunes backs up?

Does it backup your SMS messages and app-specific content (like SimCity saved games, for example)?

Cheers!

I believe it backs up all of your info except for email, music and videos (which you can obviously get back by syncing with itunes). It will save all of your app info and data (saved games, favorites, etc.).

TheSpaz
Jun 29, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hi,

Cheers!

It backs up the following:

SMS Messages
Contacts
All Application Settings
Home Screen icon order
Photos taken with the Camera
Wallpaper image
Bookmarks
Calendar Events
Phone Favorites
Voicemail Messages
Notes

It doesn't backup:
Music
Sync'd photos
Applications
Videos

daveishere
Jun 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
so, when i inevitibly upgrade to my iphone sometime next year, if i want to port all my save games to my new iphone, i just start using it from a backup of my current iPhone?

psywzrd
Jun 29, 2009, 02:04 PM
so, when i inevitibly upgrade to my iphone sometime next year, if i want to port all my save games to my new iphone, i just start using it from a backup of my current iPhone?

Exacty. Make one last backup of your old phone and then when you connect your new phone, restore it from the backup you just made. Easy as can be - works great.

Ntombi
Jun 29, 2009, 02:05 PM

Correct. When I upgraded to the 3GS, all of my games were exactly as I left them in my 3G, even those that were in the middle of a level. :)

cellocello
Jun 29, 2009, 02:56 PM
Correct. When I upgraded to the 3GS, all of my games were exactly as I left them in my 3G, even those that were in the middle of a level. :)

Yea ... I recently had to do a full restore on my phone, and was confused when my games were being all weird. I then realized I had lost all my save games :(.

This was after getting a (couple) new phone(s) even, and my save games were fine since I restored from a back-up each time - so I pretty bummed when I did the restore without even thinking.

AiralynRose
Jun 29, 2009, 02:57 PM
Backups contain the following:
call logs, recent call list, call timers, voicemails
settings
saved app data (like saved games and app settings - however, this is partially up to the developer to implement)
text message history
notes (if not being synced with notes on your computer)
stocks
weather cities
camera roll photos (no other photos)
app locations/placement (on 3.0 ONLY, saves what pages and locations you kept your apps)

It does NOT backup:
Contacts
Calendars
Emails
Apps
Music
Videos
Photos
Ringtones
(Basically everything that you should have saved on your computer or mail service)

cellocello
Jun 29, 2009, 03:01 PM
voicemails

Aren't these stored on your carrier's servers?

-aggie-
Jun 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
call logs, recent call list, call timers, voicemails
settings
saved app data (like saved games and app settings - however, this is partially up to the developer to implement)
text message history
notes (if not being synced with notes on your computer)
stocks
weather cities
camera roll photos (no other photos)
app locations/placement (on 3.0 ONLY, saves what pages and locations you kept your apps)

It does NOT backup:
Contacts
Calendars
Emails
Apps
Music
Videos
Photos
Ringtones
(Basically everything that you should have saved on your computer or mail service)

I was not aware that it backed up voicemails. so, I suppose they take up space on our iPhone and that we have a limited amount of space for them?

cellocello
Jun 29, 2009, 03:09 PM
I was not aware that it backed up voicemails. so, I suppose they take up space on our iPhone and that we have a limited amount of space for them?

I do not believe visual voicemails are part of your local backup.

-aggie-
Jun 29, 2009, 03:11 PM

Perhaps AiralynRose needs a link to where she got her info?

cellocello
Jun 29, 2009, 03:13 PM
Perhaps AiralynRose needs a link to where she got her info?

Wouldn't hurt!

itsjustmeee
Jun 29, 2009, 03:16 PM
I've asked this before, but just to clarify things, when I upgrade from my 3G to my new 3GS in a few days, all I have to do is to...
1. backup my 3G
2. pop out the sim card and put it in the new 3GS
3. restore from backup

is that correct??

diamond.g
Jun 29, 2009, 03:16 PM

I think either they are, or somehow they are flagged to be redownloaded. I also noticed when going from one phone to another that some of my Mail passwords were not kept and I had to re-enter them (and in my wifes case remove the account and re-add it).

cellocello
Jun 29, 2009, 03:20 PM
I think either they are, or somehow they are flagged to be redownloaded.

What makes you think they're stored on your phone at all?

psywzrd
Jun 29, 2009, 03:45 PM
I've asked this before, but just to clarify things, when I upgrade from my 3G to my new 3GS in a few days, all I have to do is to...
1. backup my 3G
2. pop out the sim card and put it in the new 3GS
3. restore from backup

is that correct??

You got it. You can also use the SIM that comes with your 3GS if you want (I did). It probably doesn't matter but I just figured that it was better to have a new SIM instead of using one that's like a year old. Maybe they've improved them somehow (if that's even possible).

Ntombi
Jun 29, 2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I used the SIM that came with my new 3GS. Everything transfered beautifully.

TMar
Jun 29, 2009, 03:59 PM
Aren't these stored on your carrier's servers?
No, VM stores saves a copy on the phone. That's why you don't have to wait for it to call your voicemail. Put you phone in airplane mode and then try to listen to a VM. Not sure if they are backup up but they should be.

AiralynRose
Jun 29, 2009, 04:21 PM
What makes you think they're stored on your phone at all?

Try listening to them with no service?

cellocello
Jun 29, 2009, 04:25 PM
No, VM stores saves a copy on the phone. That's why you don't have to wait for it to call your voicemail. Put you phone in airplane mode and then try to listen to a VM. Not sure if they are backup up but they should be.

That's odd, cause when you do a fresh restore, not at all from a back-up, all your VMs are there ready to be listened to.

The phone may store a local copy, but the server definitely stores a copy.

cellocello
Jun 29, 2009, 04:28 PM
Try listening to them with no service?

Yea, ok - I take that back. The iPhone seems to store a local copy. Just did a test with Airplane mode.

But the server also definitely stores a copy

BCurry1
Jun 29, 2009, 04:57 PM
It does not save passwords for secure wifi networks.

-aggie-
Jun 29, 2009, 05:07 PM

Who said it did?

TMar
Jun 29, 2009, 06:44 PM
That's odd, cause when you do a fresh restore, not at all from a back-up, all your VMs are there ready to be listened to.

The phone may store a local copy, but the server definitely stores a copy.

That's why I said copy. You can still call your voicemail to access messages. It was never a question of weather a copy is on the phone, server or in this case both, it was if they where stored in backups.

TheSpaz
Jun 29, 2009, 10:55 PM

Yes it does.

newyorksole
Jun 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
You lose game saves.

TheSpaz
Jun 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
You lose game saves.

No you don't

cellocello
Jun 29, 2009, 11:32 PM
That's why I said copy. You can still call your voicemail to access messages. It was never a question of weather a copy is on the phone, server or in this case both, it was if they where stored in backups.

Ya, the iPhone seems to store a copy - but when you do a fresh restore, all your visual voice mails are listed there ready to be listened to like nothing happened. I just did a restore the other day, so it was fresh on the mind when I blurted that out earlier.

So ya, the iPhone stores a copy/cache of them. But no I still don't think they're a part of the back-up.

p0ssumman
Jul 5, 2009, 05:37 PM
I could do with some info...I had to restore my iPhone today (made an encrypted back-up of it yesterday) and after restoring and selecting my backup to restore from, it goes through the entire process and restores everything EXCEPT my SMS messages (the one thing that i really wanted)..Can anyone shed any light on why this is or possibly how to retrieve my messages?

Thanks

drjuice
Jul 6, 2009, 11:47 PM
Ya, the iPhone seems to store a copy - but when you do a fresh restore, all your visual voice mails are listed there ready to be listened to like nothing happened. I just did a restore the other day, so it was fresh on the mind when I blurted that out earlier.

So ya, the iPhone stores a copy/cache of them. But no I still don't think they're a part of the back-up.

I think that voicemail is stored with the carrier. When I activated my 3G last year I simply typed in my voicemail password and they were there a minute or two later, long before I connected the phone to my computer and restored from a backup.

When I got my 3G[S] this year and restored from a backup my SMS messages threads were there. I restored and set up as a new phone today and my voicemails were still there after entering my VM password but my SMS messages were not. All of my app data was lost, including saved games, stocks, weather locations, etc.

I'm pretty sure that unless you sync contacts with Outlook on a PC or Address Book on a Mac then the backup contains contact data. As others have said, the backup contains any information that isn't synced from somewhere else on your computer (contacts, calendars, and iTunes content). Apps sync both ways (apps downloaded in iTunes sync to iPhone, apps downloaded on the iPhone sync into iTunes) or can be re-downloaded free of charge as long as you're using the same iTunes Store account.

BCurry1
Jul 7, 2009, 01:11 AM
Who said it did?
No one, the thread starter ask what info the back up saves. I was stating that it did not back up wifi passwords.

Yes it does.

Then please tell me how to do that, because when I set up my new 3GS from the back-up of my Org. iPhone, it did not save any of my wifi network passwords. I had to manually enter each one back in.

Mystikal
Jul 7, 2009, 01:16 AM
It backs up the carrier file. I was on 5.0, wanted to get rid of it. Restored, then from backup and was back to 5.0

xhArRiSoNxD
Jul 7, 2009, 03:01 AM
No one, the thread starter ask what info the back up saves. I was stating that it did not back up wifi passwords.

Then please tell me how to do that, because when I set up my new 3GS from the back-up of my Org. iPhone, it did not save any of my wifi network passwords. I had to manually enter each one back in.

Well with my iPod touch in a lifetime of use I never had to re add my wifi password from my home router after a restore from backup. I restored about 4 times total and I know 3 times for a fact I didn't have to. The first restore was a long time ago so I won't add that to the record.

diamond.g
Jul 7, 2009, 05:48 AM
Well with my iPod touch in a lifetime of use I never had to re add my wifi password from my home router after a restore from backup. I restored about 4 times total and I know 3 times for a fact I didn't have to. The first restore was a long time ago so I won't add that to the record.

Same device, I think when you change devices it doesn't keep the Wifi password. I had the same experience as the OP when I went from the iPhone to the 3GS, and when I upgraded my wife from the 4GB to the 8GB.

Rat-Boy
Jul 7, 2009, 07:29 AM
Interesting.

Most of mine were, but I did lose all my stats for Flight Control. :(

northy124
Aug 22, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have a question for those in the know :)

People have said that the Back up, backs up game saves. Does it also back up saves from games like World War an online game? just I am going to be jailbreaking and just wanted to know as I don't want to have to start from scratch :)

utternutter
Jan 28, 2010, 09:13 AM
Bump.

What about apps that store data, like calendar, recording or notes apps?

-aggie-
Jan 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
Bump.

What about apps that store data, like calendar, recording or notes apps?

I'm not sure what you mean by recording apps. Voice recorder? If so, it is in the backup.

Notes and Calendar are synced. If you didn't sync notes they are in the backup. I'm not sure about Calendar being in the backup if not synced.

utternutter
Jan 30, 2010, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by recording apps. Voice recorder? If so, it is in the backup.

Notes and Calendar are synced. If you didn't sync notes they are in the backup. I'm not sure about Calendar being in the backup if not synced.

Yeah, there are certain voice recording, note taking and personal organisation apps in the app store like Ultimate To Dos, SafeNote, shopping lists and such.

I'd hate to lose saved entries in these apps if it's not included in the backup.