Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kadeschs

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Okay, based on so many of you recommending Handbrake to re-encode video for AppleTV, I've tried to add several items to the Encode Queue. The items get added, but the paths don't show up in the Source and Destination columns making it very difficult to see what items have been previously added. Why doesn't Handbrake properly show me these pieces of information and what do I need to do to make this more practical??

Thanks in advance.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Okay, based on so many of you recommending Handbrake to re-encode video for AppleTV, I've tried to add several items to the Encode Queue. The items get added, but the paths don't show up in the Source and Destination columns making it very difficult to see what items have been previously added. Why doesn't Handbrake properly show me these pieces of information and what do I need to do to make this more practical??

Thanks in advance.

I`m using 0.9.3 Windows version and both source and destination paths show up fine. Are you using the Mac version by any chance?

kadeschs

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
LOL Then it must be 0.9.3. I'm not on my home computer to check the version info. It's whatever the latest version is I'm sure. I've noticed that sometimes it puts path information in but most of the time it doesn't. You have to blindly click the encode button and hope everything is correct. Kind of strange.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
What I would do then is just before pressing the encode button export the queue then open the queue file in a text editor such as notepad and have a look at the paths to check them.

I always export the queue before encoding just incase something happens like a system crash or power cut. Then I can always reload the queue and save alot of time readding them again.

kadeschs

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
What I would do then is just before pressing the encode button export the queue then open the queue file in a text editor such as notepad and have a look at the paths to check them.

I always export the queue before encoding just incase something happens like a system crash or power cut. Then I can always reload the queue and save alot of time readding them again.

Hey, that's a good idea actually. I'd be interested in seeing if it's in the exported file or not. Thanks for the tip!

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Hey, that's a good idea actually. I'd be interested in seeing if it's in the exported file or not. Thanks for the tip!

The full paths have gotta be in the queue file otherwise the command line part of handbrake wouldn`t be able to find your files. Like I say exporting the queue is good practice incase the unthinkable happens like a crash. Plus if your like me and regulary queue up 10 or more encodes at a time its a pain if something goes wrong and you have to add them all again:(

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
I've seen the same behavior as mentioned in the original post (no destination path listed in Encode Queue) when the name I've assigned the output file has special characters in it. This includes pretty much any punctuation at all. (,%$ etc..)
Example:
BAD: Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (will NOT work because it has a "&")
GOOD: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (will work because it contains no special characters)

It's annoying that Handbrake does this, but considering how incredibly powerful this *free* application is, I'll live with it. :)

kadeschs

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Yep, it exported the paths just fine. I can see where punctuation might be an issue for me as many of my filenames may include this.

Yes with it being free, one cannot complain I guess. Thanks.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Export Queue - How?

How do you export the queue?

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I Don't See It

From the queue window press "Options" and it's the bottom 2 items "Import Queue" and "Export Queue"

I'm sorry, but I don't see "Options" in the queue window. Maybe we're using different versions of Handbrake, but I just don't see it. By the way, I'm using version 0.10.0

Last edited:

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Yep... version 0.10.0

Capture.JPG

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Thanks for the screenshot.
That looks like the Windows version.
Is that the Windows version?

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I'm gonna say that it is, probably a Windows 8 system... Linux or Apple systems would have different icons or have the icons in different places for the X in the upper right corner.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Yep, Windows version... this whole thread is talking about the Windows version so I assumed you were also using Windows :(

As far as I know you can't save the queue on the Mac version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.