PDA

View Full Version : Doom Resurrection Available for iPhone and iPod Touch

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2009, 05:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/29/doom-resurrection-available-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/06/29/182123-shot1.jpg

id Software's original iPhone game Doom Resurrection (http://appshopper.com/games/doom-resurrection) [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318567158&mt=8)] was released into the App Store earlier today. The Doom 3 inspired game offers a first person shooting experience that's been adapted to the iPhone. From a TouchArcade review (http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/29/doom-resurrection-is-actually-pretty-awesome/) of the game:The best compliment I can offer to Doom Resurrection is that despite some controversial changes, it "feels" like Doom and is a lot of fun. And as a reviewer, there are games I have to play to the end and games I want to play to the end, and Doom Resurrection easily fell in the latter category. The game makes good use of the Doom 3 graphics and audio to provide an immersive game that sucks you in for the duration.
The player's movements in the game are scripted while the aiming/shooting is controlled by the accelerometer. This video shows the game in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t67QravCrbE

Article Link: Doom Resurrection Available for iPhone and iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/29/doom-resurrection-available-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

leandromp
Jun 29, 2009, 05:37 PM
Not interested.

McShizzel
Jun 29, 2009, 05:39 PM
Argh! YouTube is too slow.

natebookpro
Jun 29, 2009, 05:45 PM
I thought I had heard that this might take advantage of the faster processors in the 3GS. Anyone know anything about that?

Shoesy
Jun 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
Not interested.

Why would anyone be interested in one of the biggest game franchises in the world entering the iphone market? It's not like id invented the fps genre or anything.

Bye x

rockosmodurnlif
Jun 29, 2009, 06:20 PM
Looks good. $9.99

billefra
Jun 29, 2009, 06:26 PM
Howzit on the original iPhone? Too slow? Okay?

Cask
Jun 29, 2009, 06:46 PM
Howzit on the original iPhone? Too slow? Okay?

Runs ok on an iPhone 3G, completely playable. It should run the same on an original iPhone, since they have same CPU, memory, etc.

Full of Win
Jun 29, 2009, 06:58 PM
So... can the iPhone play Doom?

Chaos123x
Jun 29, 2009, 07:38 PM
So... can the iPhone play Doom?

Yes, but can it run Crysis?

But really I would buy this if it wasn't on the rails.

str1f3
Jun 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
Why would anyone be interested in one of the biggest game franchises in the world entering the iphone market? It's not like id invented the fps genre or anything.

Bye x

Because it's an "on rails" fps. It flies in the face of what a fps is. It's a huge disappointment. I'm not picking this up at that price. I would rather have the controls that were in Wolfenstein. As it is, I'll wait until Livefire comes out.

caliguy
Jun 29, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yes, but can it run Crysis?

But really I would buy this if it wasn't on the rails.

Ditto. I was looking forward to this :(

I'd rather id would have just given us the original Doom - no rails. Grr..

Chris Rogers
Jun 29, 2009, 07:58 PM
dam, $9.99

RiCEADDiCTBOY
Jun 29, 2009, 08:03 PM
dam, $9.99

REALLY?! you are going to complain about almost 10 bucks? wow...

10 dollars is cheap for games that include updates and etc. you should be happy that the standard right now IS 10 bucks and not 25 dollars or higher atm.

apple gamers are the worst.

blackcrayon
Jun 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
I guess we're supposed to think of it like The House of the Dead?

izibo
Jun 29, 2009, 09:58 PM
I guess we're supposed to think of it like The House of the Dead?

I'd think of it more like Doom.

blackcrayon
Jun 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'd think of it more like Doom.

You know what I meant by that, right? House of the Dead, the game where it runs "on rails" but you aim and shoot with a light gun...

GoCubsGo
Jun 29, 2009, 10:03 PM
I thought it would be more like the original Doom. Rails? Really wtf?
Though still oddly tempted.

Edit: I am saving my cash. Original Doom is due out (date unknown) and it won't be on rails.

RiCEADDiCTBOY
Jun 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
You know what I meant by that, right? House of the Dead, the game where it runs "on rails" but you aim and shoot with a light gun...

Actually, now that I think of it - it would fit well comparing it to House of the Dead. GJ! Forgot about that game...

anubis
Jun 30, 2009, 12:57 AM
The player's movements in the game are scripted

Weird. Don't know how much fun it would be to play Doom where the computer decides where to move for me. You're just waiting for it to move you to the next location so you can aim and shoot things. Doesn't seem that exciting for $9.99 honestly.

SFStateStudent
Jun 30, 2009, 01:14 AM
+1 ^^^ Original Doom is starting to look much better, hopefully it'll be $9.99 as well....:cool:

peterdevries
Jun 30, 2009, 02:41 AM
Not interested.

Hmmm, I don't think any of us cares about that...:rolleyes:

djgamble
Jun 30, 2009, 02:42 AM

Yeah that's how I'm thinking of it... I actually love that style of games, so am gonna pick this one up tonight after work!

To be honest I prefer the "on rails" style to having awkward controls and difficult gameplay.

To me Halo on an Xbox was really bad in terms of controls (in my view you really need a mouse and keyboard for 1st person shooters...) so given that stance... I think the iPod Touch would be even worse if they tried to give you a complete version of Doom 3 including the controls.

The General
Jun 30, 2009, 02:43 AM

You're in luck. It's on the way.

http://www.idsoftware.com/iphone-doom-classic-progress/
http://www.idsoftware.com/iphone-games/index.htm

twoodcc
Jun 30, 2009, 07:14 AM
i just might get this game. we'll see

Unspoken Demise
Jun 30, 2009, 07:23 AM
Original Doom better not let me down. Give me controls similiar to Hero of Sparta (similiar mind you, HoS's controls aren't perfect but they are adequate) and I'm sold. I'd pay 15 bucks for a GREAT FPS on my iPhone.

On the rails though? I may as well redownload that carnival duck shooting game again. Point and shoot. :rolleyes:

No rails and you have my money id.

LostLogik
Jun 30, 2009, 07:27 AM
Leaving aside this is on rails and has the Doom branding, it is actually a very highly polished game. I've played the big games Doom, Quake Halo, etc but still slapped down my $10 for this, because it comes from a great team and was written specifically for the iphone, and it shows. It is a great game in its own right, with superb graphics, sounds, atmosphere, and the game play is pretty decent too.

So you only get to control aim/fire/dodge/duck behind cover/shake off a zombie/pick up things/switch weapons/reload. Oh shucks, I can't move over to that corner to get a better aim at that zombie I know is coming round the corner. Who cares? Taken for what it is, this is great and worth the money.

mca7
Jun 30, 2009, 10:20 AM
They need a LITE version. Yes its only ten bucks but if I end up hating it then I just lost out on 10 bucks.

GoCubsGo
Jun 30, 2009, 10:23 AM
Leaving aside this is on rails and has the Doom branding, it is actually a very highly polished game. I've played the big games Doom, Quake Halo, etc but still slapped down my $10 for this, because it comes from a great team and was written specifically for the iphone, and it shows. It is a great game in its own right, with superb graphics, sounds, atmosphere, and the game play is pretty decent too.

So you only get to control aim/fire/dodge/duck behind cover/shake off a zombie/pick up things/switch weapons/reload. Oh shucks, I can't move over to that corner to get a better aim at that zombie I know is coming round the corner. Who cares? Taken for what it is, this is great and worth the money.

You're right, it's not id but it is highly polished. If you're ok with a game on rails then fine. I can't see the point of a FPS on rails (not entirely).

I'd love to see the original doom and I wouldn't mind seeing counter strike tbh. ;) Nothing on rails though and not being a heavy iPhone gamer if I am going to waste my cash it best be worth it.

rush0
Jun 30, 2009, 10:23 AM
10bux, sheesh.

sunfast
Jun 30, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm certainly intrigued by this, was absolutely delighted by Wolf's appearance on the App Store and can't wait for the original doom to come out. Might wait for a price drop though....

knewsom
Jun 30, 2009, 10:42 AM
sheer disappointment.

The mainstream media's claims that the iPhone and iPod Touch are the new mobile gaming platform to beat is just a big effin' crock. Why is this game on the rails?

Oh, I dunno, maybe because THE DEVICE HAS NO BUTTONS OR JOYSTICK.

It's a PHONE and an iPod. A pretty one, with a lot of great capabilities. ...it is NOT a replacement for a PSP or gameboy.

zombitronic
Jun 30, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Doom better not let me down. Give me controls similiar to Hero of Sparta (similiar mind you, HoS's controls aren't perfect but they are adequate) and I'm sold.

So far, Terminator Salvation has the best controls on the iPhone platform. It's a 3rd person shooter but the controls could be applied in the 1st person P.O.V. Drag to look/aim, virtual joystick to move, virtual button to shoot.

Still, I'm not against the rails movement if it offers a better experience for the particular game.

Setmose
Jun 30, 2009, 11:49 AM
It will be interesting to see how fast Doom Resurrection chews through the battery charge on an iPhone. When is someone going to invent a "gaming cradle" for the iPhone? A case that surrounds the iPhone, and has some PSP-style controls built into it which connects through the docking port. With a standard library and API, developers could give users the choice of PSP-like advanced controls, or "just iPhone" controls. :apple:

And since we're voting: I would love to see an id-Tech 5 version of original Quake on the PC. The franchise built on Quake 2 storyline for Quake 4. But I would love to see modern versions of original Quake's Fiend and Shambler monsters. I still play original Quake with all its myriad add-ons from time to time on the DarkPlaces engine. And the Fiend monster still gets my adrenaline flowing with that wicked leap it makes to get in your face and start pummeling with the side-to-side claw swipes. Kind of like being mauled by a Grizzly Bear. :apple:

Unspoken Demise
Jun 30, 2009, 11:51 AM
So far, Terminator Salvation has the best controls on the iPhone platform. It's a 3rd person shooter but the controls could be applied in the 1st person P.O.V. Drag to look/aim, virtual joystick to move, virtual button to shoot.

Still, I'm not against the rails movement if it offers a better experience for the particular game.

Hmm. I'm definetly going to have to give that a look. :) Thanks for the info!

Scarpad
Jun 30, 2009, 12:33 PM
I've learned to wait a few weeks the game's price inevitably drops.

Heinekev
Jun 30, 2009, 12:42 PM

Doom Classic is coming.

And the rails thing works reallllly well. I'm really enjoying this game, didn't think I would.

This and Attack From Zombies have filled my afternoon, haha

apfhex
Jun 30, 2009, 01:35 PM
It will be interesting to see how fast Doom Resurrection chews through the battery charge on an iPhone.
I only played 2 levels, but it didn't really seem to make much of a dent, actually.

Wolf3D (and soon Doom Classic) works because you don't need to look up/down, so the simplified touchscreen d-pad does a decent job. But when you get into more advanced 3D movement, you would need the dual-analogue type controls, and that gets cumbersome really quick (besides REAL dual-analogue controls ALREADY sucking for FPSs). So despite not liking the lack of freedom of rail shooters, I agree with their decision in this case. The game is reasonably fun and very polished, and you don't have to have your fingers covering half the screen all the time. Would have preferred it to be cheaper, but perhaps the value will increase with future updates.

dragossh
Jun 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
This game is actually very polished and worth the price. Didn't think I would enjoy it because of the use of accelerometer to aim, but it works surprisingly well. I would like to have freedom of movement, but a rails FPS works too.

coolwater
Jun 30, 2009, 09:17 PM
Waiting for Call of Duty.