PDA

View Full Version : Connecting PC and Mac for extra juice!

davo6
Jun 29, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hey all,

I run Ableton on both my Macbook and my studio PC (quad core).

Is there anyway that I could link both computers so that I can run VSTS on my PC and do all of my production in Ableton on my Macbook?? This would be awesome because I would have the power of my fast PC and the stability of my Mac OS.

Both computers have nice audio interface as well (EMU 1820, and M-Audio fast track pro)

Any help is much appreciated!

pkoch1
Jun 30, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hey all,

I run Ableton on both my Macbook and my studio PC (quad core).

Is there anyway that I could link both computers so that I can run VSTS on my PC and do all of my production in Ableton on my Macbook?? This would be awesome because I would have the power of my fast PC and the stability of my Mac OS.

Both computers have nice audio interface as well (EMU 1820, and M-Audio fast track pro)

Any help is much appreciated!

You will need to buy MIDI over LAN (MoL (http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm)) and have an ADAT or S/PDIF digital connection between each computer through an interface of some sort. I'm not familiar with what you have, but I'm pretty sure the FastTrack Pro does not have S/PDIF or ADAT on it.

It is possible, and is done very often in the professional audio field, especially among composers.