PDA

View Full Version : G5 Announced in June,but WHEN will we see it?

triton
May 31, 2004, 06:22 PM
Hi,

If new g5's are announced in June, when do you think we might see them actually being shipped?

:confused:

Sun Baked
May 31, 2004, 06:34 PM
It'll either be an announcement for pre-orders, or that the machine is shipping now.

With the problems the 970fx has been having -- who knows.

But there are hints of two machines right now.

Looking like our Rev. B machine (aka Speed bump 970Fx), and the possibility of a machine using a new chipset.

The possibility of the new chipset can be either the next generation PPC9xx with PCIe/DDR2/etc., or a PPC970 capable consumer chipset.

Bigheadache
May 31, 2004, 07:07 PM
Hi,

If new g5's are announced in June, when do you think we might see them actually being shipped?

Hard to be definite. Some items, such as the last ibook/powerbook revision were available straight away, others like the XServe G5 were only "paper launches"

triton
May 31, 2004, 07:47 PM
I'm hoping sooner than later. I have been waiting for the dual 3ghz for a while, and can only wait until the end of summer/early Fall before I would absolutley need to get it. I would hate to wait for the dual 3, only for it to not actually ship until after november. I'd then probably would have to settle for a dual 2. :(

Although, in that itself would not be a bad thing! :)

JOD8FY
May 31, 2004, 07:55 PM
Hi,

Have a little faith in Stevie J. people! Who's to say they won't ship right away ;) ?

JOD8FY

yoda13
May 31, 2004, 08:56 PM
IBM may have the most effect on when the machines might possibly ship once they are announced.

legion
May 31, 2004, 10:29 PM
My bet, if announced it'll be a paper launch with possibly the lowest-end model released right away. The real NEW models will be shipped 3 months later.

stoid
May 31, 2004, 11:23 PM
I think that the low and mid range machines will ship immediately with the dual 3.0Ghz machines shipping in September.

wdlove
Jun 1, 2004, 03:09 PM
My bet, if announced it'll be a paper launch with possibly the lowest-end model released right away. The real NEW models will be shipped 3 months later.

I agree, that is usually the way Apple handles a new launch. :)