Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trumb1mj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
So I have my mac mini connected to my onkyo 607 receiver with DVI -> HDMI connection respectively. Whenever I cycle (flip on/off) the power on my onkyo receiver it changes the resolution on my mini.

Has anyone run into this? Is there a way to "lock" the resolution on my mini?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
This is normal for HDMI switches. The EDID of your display doesn't get transferred after losing a connection.
You will need to reconnect the cable to the switch every time you turn on the device, or get something like this to preserve the information.

trumb1mj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
this seems like a very common issue. I can't believe there isn't some software that can control this..

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Nope. This is part of the HDCP standard in the core of the OS and hardware. Can't change that, sadly.

trumb1mj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I am having trouble finding any other device like this.. It seems like Geffen is the only company that makes one. What exactly is this device called?

trumb1mj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
yeah, I saw that but I was unable to find anything else on the web like it. I was just wondering if I should be doing a specific search..

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I have having a very similar problem to this with my Mini and an Onkyo receiver. I looked at the product mentioned above but didn't want to spend the cash, my solution was to just plug the hdmi in the Mini directly into my TV and just send sound through the receiver. Combined with a harmony remote that sets up all my inputs it works perfectly.

I then had an issue where after rebooting the Mini the overscan was all messed up. The solution was to uncheck the overscan box, then check it again, basically cycling it. That solved the problem but was annoying so I just got an applescript to do it automatically and set it to run on startup. Now my Mini runs perfectly.

Hopefully these solution can help with your issue.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I use my Onkyo receiver (not sure of model) as both surround sound and a video switch for my display. My display only has one digital in port (DVI) and I wanted to switch between 3 devices so having a device that can remember the EDID is essential.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.