PDA

View Full Version : AT&T: iPhone 3GS Launch Broke Numerous Company Records

MacRumors
Jul 2, 2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/02/atandt-iphone-3gs-launch-broke-numerous-company-records/)

MacDailyNews has obtained (http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/21666/) an internal AT&T memo promoting the record-breaking nature of the iPhone 3GS launch on Friday, June 19th.iLaunch day 2009 was one for the record books, as AT&T customers scrambled to get their hands on the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet.

Here's a look at some of the milestones we achieved:

* Best-ever sales day in our retail stores
* Second-largest traffic day in our retail stores
* Most transactions processed via our IT systems in a single day
* Most upgrade eligibility checks in a single day
* Largest order day in att.com history
* Largest features sales day in att.com historyFurthermore, AT&T notes that it had surpassed the 2008 iPhone 3G launch sales numbers by noon on the iPhone 3GS launch day and sustained its record-setting sale pace for eleven straight hours.

Despite shorter lines on launch day than in 2008, due in large part to online availability, Apple announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/22/over-one-million-iphone-3g-models-sold-on-launch-weekend/) that the iPhone 3GS had reached over one million sales in the first three days of availability, on par with the performance of the iPhone 3G at its 2008 launch.

Article Link: AT&T: iPhone 3GS Launch Broke Numerous Company Records (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/02/atandt-iphone-3gs-launch-broke-numerous-company-records/)

theanman
Jul 2, 2009, 12:00 PM
Maybe they will reward us by activating MMS soon

mrtune
Jul 2, 2009, 12:00 PM
Seems to me, with numbers like this, AT&T will for sure try and hold onto their exclusive agreement with Apple for as long as possible.

Seems like with every new iPhone released, there is greater and greater demand for the phone.

Come on AT&T, get the ball rolling for MMS!

macduke
Jul 2, 2009, 12:02 PM
Quit bragging and give me MMS!!

Ambrose Chapel
Jul 2, 2009, 12:22 PM
and the way att thanks those customers is by not supporting major new features of the phone. insulting.

iphones4evry1
Jul 2, 2009, 12:27 PM
That's wht happens when you have a monopoly...or,uh.."exclusivity" over the iPhone.

and the way att thanks those customers is by not supporting major new features of the phone. insulting.

The way AT&T thanks their customers is by forcing them to buy $39.99 worth of voice minutes that most people never even use half of. I would rather pay a small fee for MMS and a small fee for tethering (if I choose to use those features), instead of being forced to buy voice minutes that I know I will never use.

-posted via iPhone

johnnyrb
Jul 2, 2009, 12:36 PM
have broken if they would have shown some love to their existing iPhone users. Also, I wonder how many existing iPhone customers paid $399 or $499 for a new iPhone 3GS.

I for one did not upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS and will not at that price. I understand why they did this. I'm going to wait and purchase the year 2010 model. Hopefully by then, AT&T's contract will have expired.

ucsbalum96
Jul 2, 2009, 12:38 PM
Maybe they will reward us by activating MMS soon

Yeah...and tethering. Maybe if AT&T took a break from there sales spreadsheets they could take a moment to click the button that says "turn on iPhone MMS and tethering"...tomorrow?...didn't think so.

leshkanyc
Jul 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
How about:

most network wide data outage day
most drop calls day
most missed calls str8 to voice mail day
most ridiculous update day when newly released OS made current phones slower

or am i wrong?

gt1948
Jul 2, 2009, 01:17 PM
Quit bragging and give me MMS!!

it's right around the corner.....;)

ratbatblue
Jul 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
Maybe they'll sink some of that profit into their infrastructure.

Things are improving in my area. But they could always get better, and I know there are many places where 3G is either totally unavailable, or available only unreliably.

Good job, AT&T! Now show us you remember where all that $$$ comes from!

BornAgainMac
Jul 2, 2009, 02:11 PM
I wonder if their network can even handle real MMS usage coming from the iPhone customer base.

iGary
Jul 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
I wonder if their network can even handle real MMS usage coming from the iPhone customer base.

Nice one.

So sad we got stuck with such a crap company.

Ding.Dong
Jul 2, 2009, 02:52 PM
* Most upgrade eligibility checks in a single day

They forgot one record:

* Most upgrade eligibility denials in a single day

omahajim
Jul 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
removed

donlphi
Jul 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
They forgot one record:

* Most upgrade eligibility denials in a single day

I thought they changed their mind on that. I may be wrong but somebody should double check.

joro
Jul 2, 2009, 03:37 PM
Seems to me, with numbers like this, AT&T will for sure try and hold onto their exclusive agreement with Apple for as long as possible.

Seems like with every new iPhone released, there is greater and greater demand for the phone.

Come on AT&T, get the ball rolling for MMS!

I agree, they are going to want to keep the exclusivity; however, I think Apple is going to require some major concessions and improvements to keep it with AT&T alone. That tension couldn’t have been more evident at WWDC this year and it will likely continue until AT&T can keep up with the countless other carriers who are waiting with baited breath on what Apple wants.

bitWrangler
Jul 2, 2009, 03:40 PM
With as much bit*hing about the lame performance of 3G in many areas, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised at why at&t hasn't launched mms/tethering. I would suspect that we won't see anything on this front until _after_ they are done with their "big network upgrade" that they've been touting. Better to have a bunch of people whining about the lack of mms/tethering than it is to have your entire user base b*tching about even worse overall network performance.

E.Lizardo
Jul 2, 2009, 05:03 PM
have broken if they would have shown some love to their existing iPhone users. Also, I wonder how many existing iPhone customers paid $399 or $499 for a new iPhone 3GS.

I for one did not upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS and will not at that price. I understand why they did this. I'm going to wait and purchase the year 2010 model. Hopefully by then, AT&T's contract will have expired.

I paid the early upgrade price per the contract I willingly signed.I'm not the least bit upset about it.I'm a grownup.

If you"understand"why they did it why are you still whining?Do everyone a favor and let it go.

illegalprelude
Jul 2, 2009, 05:16 PM

Guess what, you signed the contract. Nobody forced you to. You should have known. Cant fault anybody but yourself here.

SpaceKitty
Jul 2, 2009, 05:33 PM

I gladly paid the $499 early upgrade price and I don't regret it at all.

TheSlush
Jul 2, 2009, 08:00 PM
Can we say "APPLE NEGOTIATING ADVANTAGE"???

TheSlush
Jul 2, 2009, 08:01 PM
Maybe they'll sink some of that profit into their infrastructure.

Or their customer service!

uniforms
Jul 2, 2009, 08:21 PM
My feelings are that it's a pure numbers game. Apple loves the money it gets from AT&T. But now that the numbers are slowing down as far as new subscribers of the iPhone, Apple will need to look for new avenues in which to get more people using the iPhone. That means Verizon. It's not what you did last year, it's the performance this year. Apple will need more subscribers if they want to be a major player. I think January we will see a new partner in addition to AT&T.

Apple still has the lead as far as quality, speed and applications. I think they will really be something in another few years, not that they are not already!

coolbreeze
Jul 2, 2009, 09:19 PM
ATT hit the freakin lottery when it got the iPhone contract. The lottery!!!

They will ***** an eggroll when other carriers get access to the iPhone. Better enjoy the lavish profits while you can ATT. Tick tock...

CarlyLyon
Jul 2, 2009, 10:00 PM
how can i upgrade to 3gs ?

tangerineyum
Jul 3, 2009, 12:24 AM
but WOW, THE iGary? thats old school. Is Lacero coming back too ?

deckwalker
Jul 3, 2009, 12:56 AM
How about:

most ridiculous update day when newly released OS made current phones slower

or am i wrong?

My first gen is quite a bit quicker with the new OS; it starts faster, apps load faster, and the response when I'm typing notes or SMS is far far faster.

kas23
Jul 3, 2009, 08:02 AM
My first gen is quite a bit quicker with the new OS; it starts faster, apps load faster, and the response when I'm typing notes or SMS is far far faster.

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing the opposite. It was faster at first, but now my 3G is very laggy. Opening apps is slower, Safari is slower, and SMS takes a good 5 seconds to open. And when I type, my finger is a lot faster than the letters popping up on the screen. This shouldn't happen. Maybe 3.1 will fix this.

As for those AT&T numbers, they really don't mean anything. This is due to the pre-ordering, which likely all counted for the first day of sale. Last year, we couldn't do this and these sales spread out over the first week or so. What we really need are absolute numbers.

crackermac
Jul 3, 2009, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately, I'm experiencing the opposite. It was faster at first, but now my 3G is very laggy. Opening apps is slower, Safari is slower, and SMS takes a good 5 seconds to open. And when I type, my finer is a lot faster than the letters popping up on the screen. This shouldn't happen. Maybe 3.1 will fix this.

+1 I hope an update is coming soon to fix this.

OrganMusic
Jul 4, 2009, 10:30 PM
So I was looking at smart phones at a Verizon store today, saying how I really wished I could have the iphone and a VZ agent ACTUALLY TOLD ME they were getting the iPhone in January.

Which I of course will believe it when I see it. On the other hand I can't believe an agent would have said that even if it were true. I didn't press her on it too hard though

gwats1957
Jul 5, 2009, 06:43 AM
So I was looking at smart phones at a Verizon store today, saying how I really wished I could have the iphone and a VZ agent ACTUALLY TOLD ME they were getting the iPhone in January.

Which I of course will believe it when I see it. On the other hand I can't believe an agent would have said that even if it were true. I didn't press her on it too hard though

Verizon will need to build out their 4G network first and start phasing out their CDMA technology which most of the World does not use. AT & T is your only choice for now unless you want to jail break your phone.:confused::eek:

OrganMusic
Jul 5, 2009, 08:18 AM
Exactly, which is why I found it hard to believe, even coming from a VZ agent! She was probably just saying that because she was afraid I was going to switch.

kas23
Jul 5, 2009, 11:46 AM
Exactly, which is why I found it hard to believe, even coming from a VZ agent! She was probably just saying that because she was afraid I was going to switch.

Cellphone sales people will say anything to keep a customer. Yes, even lie through their teeth. But, technically, she didn't lie. She just perpetuated what she thought was the truth. If she said "oh no, Verizon's not getting the iPhone for at least a few years", you would have walked right out and went to the AT&T store.

And it definitely WILL go to Verizon eventually. Otherwise, what's the Exclusivity Agreement for? To prevent the iPhone from going to T-Mobile? Umm, no. If Apple could/would never go to Verizon, then AT&T has Apple by the balls. Apple would never set themselves up like that to be perpetually excluded from the largest network in the US.

toxictrix
Jul 5, 2009, 11:53 AM
How does this sound?? Apple Mobile.

Jayden0606
Jul 5, 2009, 02:27 PM
It's not AT&T fault, it was Apple who told AT&T they would never support MMS. AT&T took the extra step of not only changing the package, but also removing what was necessary in the back-end. Then Apple says, "let there be mms" and now AT&T has to manually go through literally over 7+ million customers, both those that have the IMEI on their account and those that don't as it tracked those even if they didn't update through the billing system.

I have mms working fine though :)

If I tethered, I'd do that as well.

kas23
Jul 5, 2009, 04:26 PM
It's not AT&T fault, it was Apple who told AT&T they would never support MMS.

Do you have a source for this statement?

samab
Jul 5, 2009, 08:32 PM
Do you have a source for this statement?

There were some chatters about AT&T's backend databases:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/06/08/the-reason-why-att-wont-support-mms-with-the-iphone-until-late-summer/

What we have here is:

(1) Basically every single cell phone that have been manufactured in the last 3-4 years supports MMS.
(2) Carrier backends are run by mainframes with huge databases that they don't dare to change unless it is absolutely necessary.

So when the original iphone came out without MMS --- AT&T jerry-rigged their backend databases to accomodate the iphone. Unfortunately, undoing the jerry-rig takes a lot of time.

zahidraf
Jul 7, 2009, 01:47 AM
MMS Works fine :)

Aldaris
Jul 8, 2009, 09:06 AM
I love the fact that they are touting this as some major achievement.

What part did At&t have in this really?
Really there was absolutely nothing from At&t's end to make it their"record."

At&t when you support features on Apples Hardware then I think you can share in the credit, but this go around, Apple carried you, and I think your not worth your salt much more.

Aldaris
Jul 8, 2009, 09:17 AM
ATT hit the freakin lottery when it got the iPhone contract. The lottery!!!

They will ***** an eggroll when other carriers get access to the iPhone. Better enjoy the lavish profits while you can ATT. Tick tock...

Yes! Remember it was Cingular that originally got the Exclusive agreement, and after merging with At&t we all got screwed. There was a story published on MacWorld, or Mac|Life, regarding the first time Steve Jobs showed of the device to a few of the heads of the mobile front, only cingular saw promise there. And At&t will ride this pony into the ground.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 9, 2009, 04:08 PM

Oh I am willing to bet money the lied to you.

It sounds like the same BS that was told to my parents and I 6 years ago that Verizon was going to be moving out to lubbock area with in 6 months. That 6 months turn into 4.5 years or more and I am not even sure they have built up their network out there yet as of today. During this time Text message and voice mail notification did not work. To call voice mail one had to go about it in a round about way. It was crap. People going to Texas Tech were leaving Verizon by the thousands.